[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

I also have this problem:

On 2/16/2019 at 10:49 AM, bvsveera said:

he tracking station, pressing the repair button in the Vehicle Health display, then switching scenes and returning back to the tracking station resets the repair progress. It seems the only way to do this is to press the button, and then timewarp until the repair is complete. However, with repairs on some probs of mine lasting 11 days, it would be nice to start the repair, then continue on with other missions while the repair continues in the background

• 2 weeks later...

I use BARIS alongside KCT and Scrap Yard. 

I have built a plane, which has now developed loads of failures through BARIS. I have recovered the intact plane to the SPH (so it can be used again without rebuilding it), but I can't fix the failures from the hangar. Nor does swapping out the broken parts for new ones (using ScrapYard) fix the problem - the failures just jump to the new parts.

Could a feature be added, to allow funds to be used to repair a stored craft when using KCT and ScrapYard?

(And before anyone suggests it, I'm still very early in a UbM career at this point, so don't have any Level 1 engineers to do the repairs outside)

Thanks!

EDIT: Additionally, when using KCT/ScrapYard saving the design of a stored craft with failures mean that any new craft built from that saved design also inherits the same failures. This is very silly!

Edited by Daedalus451

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, Daedalus451 said:

I use BARIS alongside KCT and Scrap Yard. 

I have built a plane, which has now developed loads of failures through BARIS. I have recovered the intact plane to the SPH (so it can be used again without rebuilding it), but I can't fix the failures from the hangar. Nor does swapping out the broken parts for new ones (using ScrapYard) fix the problem - the failures just jump to the new parts.

Could a feature be added, to allow funds to be used to repair a stored craft when using KCT and ScrapYard?

(And before anyone suggests it, I'm still very early in a UbM career at this point, so don't have any Level 1 engineers to do the repairs outside)

Thanks!

EDIT: Additionally, when using KCT/ScrapYard saving the design of a stored craft with failures mean that any new craft built from that saved design also inherits the same failures. This is very silly!

Unfortunately that's not possible. At best I'm able to integrate with KCT's vessel construction, which is currently implemented.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:01 PM, Malcolm said:

I also have this problem:

I found the bug, there's a fix in progress...

Coming real soon...

x0Dowqj.png

Next update is a bit more than just bug fixes :)

BARIS 1.9.0 is now available:

BE SURE TO REPLACE EXISTING BARIS BRIDGE TOO!

New Part Capability
- Launch Clamp: The stock Launch Clamp now contains a test stand. If you enable the test stand and then manipulate your vessel via the Part Action Windows or action buttons, and a part fails, then there's a chance that the part's quality will improve. The higher the part's quality, the less likely that it'll experience a part failure, and the less likely that it has a chance to improve. There's also a chance that the vessel will explode when performing tests... and the chance goes up each time that a part fails...

Bug fixes & enhancements
- If Snacks is installed and Stress is enabled, part failures and staging failures will cause Stress!
- Seconds per day and seconds per year are now calculated based on the homeworld's solar day and solar year instead of hard coded from KSP's 6hr/24hr day.
- Fixed issue where repair projects weren't being saved and loaded properly.
- Performance improvements when applying game settings.
- NRE fixes.

my parachutes won't deploy any more... and I've tried everything from reinstalling both ksp and the mod to performing maintenance on the chutes before reentry, and they still won't deploy is it a bug? or just bad luck... i should note that i even tried it with chute failures off and even disabling vehicle integration please help.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, Angel-125 said:

- Launch Clamp: The stock Launch Clamp now contains a test stand. If you enable the test stand and then manipulate your vessel via the Part Action Windows or action buttons, and a part fails, then there's a chance that the part's quality will improve. The higher the part's quality, the less likely that it'll experience a part failure, and the less likely that it has a chance to improve. There's also a chance that the vessel will explode when performing tests... and the chance goes up each time that a part fails...

Bug fixes & enhancements
- If Snacks is installed and Stress is enabled, part failures and staging failures will cause Stress!

Who needs test stands when you have disposable Kerbals? :D

I imagine that last bit will have my crews running short on rations frequently :)

Really looking forward to getting on with a new struggle against the Evil BARIS Gods.  I honestly don't care if various bugs make it more brutal than you intend.  If you don't want all your carefully planned stuff exploding in your face, don't install this.  Or at least use the settings to de-fang it.  But don't complain when things go wrong because that's what it's all about :cool:

Hi! Really love the mod @Angel-125, but I noticed a couple of bugs in the way workers are handled that really bugged me, so I cracked open the code and fixed them as best as I could to compile my own copy. While I was at it I noticed a couple of issues on GitHub regarding KAC integration not working as intended - so I went ahead and fixed that too (in a different branch). I pushed both fixes to a fork on GitHub, but I figured I'd ask here before submitting a pull request in case you already have a better fix in the works. Let me know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, Makrond said:

Hi! Really love the mod @Angel-125, but I noticed a couple of bugs in the way workers are handled that really bugged me, so I cracked open the code and fixed them as best as I could to compile my own copy. While I was at it I noticed a couple of issues on GitHub regarding KAC integration not working as intended - so I went ahead and fixed that too (in a different branch). I pushed both fixes to a fork on GitHub, but I figured I'd ask here before submitting a pull request in case you already have a better fix in the works. Let me know!

Thanks, I will take anlook later this week when I get more time. :)

I'm reading that I should do a static fire test......but what is a static fire test? 

Since a part that survives a staging event gains experience, it's a lot of decouplers or empty stages and the parts in a final stage ?

• 2 weeks later...

You know what would be cool? if you could sort parts in the VAB based on reliability. I now make mental notes of parts that are used before, or those I would like to use. Building rockets definitely is not easy ;-)

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of a career, first one with Kerbalism. I'm not quite happy with the way reliability is implemented there, so I'm looking for something else. Is it a good idea to install BARIS mid-career? Should I expect issues with Kerbalism still installed? (failures disabled, of course)

28 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I'm in the middle of a career, first one with Kerbalism. I'm not quite happy with the way reliability is implemented there, so I'm looking for something else. Is it a good idea to install BARIS mid-career? Should I expect issues with Kerbalism still installed? (failures disabled, of course)

Compatibility (or lack thereof) between Kerbalism and Angel's mods is unknown and anticipated to be negative. I personally would advise starting a new game when changing your failure mod, and especially, going into Difficulty Settings and turning down the BARIS settings because it's on hard mode by default and will very likely upset all of your crafts that are in flight already. It's worth a shot to try the mod switcheroo mid-game, just so that there's feedback and finally a solid answer for others who will come along asking the same question.

I installed it and didn't encounter any problems so far with Kerbalism (I of course disabled the failures there). But the timing for integration seems off. It says less than a day, and I time warped 2 times to the next morning? (This is with JNSQ)

EDIT: It also seems to break my parachutes. I'm not sure what ":FOR[BARIS]" does, but doesn't this rename the module? It seems to interfere with FAR, which I think can't find the module anymore.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]:FOR[BARIS]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
	{
		@name = ModuleBreakableParachute
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleQualityControl
		mtbf = 18
	}
}

Edited by infinite_monkey

5 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I'm not sure what ":FOR[BARIS]" does,

The FOR means:

1. Run this patch as part of the loading sequence of the given mod [BARIS].
  2. This mod [BARIS] exists so execute every other patch that NEEDS this mod.

And it's good to know that FAR doesn't like that so Angel can put a prevention mechanism in for future releases of BARIS. If there are other modules that FAR doesn't like BARIS messing with, please reveal them ASAP.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't find other compatibility issues with FAR or other mods so far, but another small bug - or maybe I'm misunderstanding something: in the Test Bench GUI, the added reliability is double of what the buttons tell - i.e., +1 gives 2, +5 gives 10 and +10 gives me 20.

Edited by infinite_monkey

• 1 month later...

In favor of Kerbalism's FeatureReliability I created this little patch:

GameData\zFinal\zzz_BARIS_with_Kerbalism.cfg

// ModuleBreakableFuelTank is untouched

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableEngine]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableEngine] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableEngine]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableEngine] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableSAS]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableSAS] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCS],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableRCS]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableRCS] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableRCS]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableRCS] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter],@MODULE[ModuleBreakableTransmitter]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleBreakableTransmitter] { }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleBreakableParachute]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleQualityControl] { }

@MODULE[ModuleBreakableParachute]
	{
		@name = ModuleParachute
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleBreakableHarvester]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{

@MODULE[ModuleBreakableHarvester]
	{
		@name = ModuleResourceHarvester
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleBreakableAsteroidDrill]]:NEEDS[WildBlueIndustries/000BARIS,Kerbalism,FeatureReliability]:AFTER[BARIS]
{

@MODULE[ModuleBreakableAsteroidDrill]
	{
		@name = ModuleAsteroidDrill
	}
}

@Sir Mortimer

Edited by Gordon Dry

^wow, okay - I just stumbled upon something:

GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\ModuleManagerPatches\MM_BARIS.cfg
lines 80-91

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]:FOR[BARIS]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
	{
		@name = ModuleBreakableParachute
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleQualityControl
		mtbf = 18
	}
}

@Angel-125

And what if RealChute is installed? Then the MM patches of RealChute don't find anything to patch anymore ...
Any patch that looks for ModuleParachute which is alphabetically after BARIS does not work anymore.

Update:
I found even more in
GameData\WildBlueIndustries\000BARIS\ModuleManagerPatches\MM_StockParts.cfg

So I had to edit the patch in the previous post (again).

btw there is an release for KSP 1.8 but the title of this thread still says 1.6

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 5:44 PM, Gordon Dry said:

btw there is an release for KSP 1.8 but the title of this thread still says 1.6

If you follow the link to the GitHub there in the releases section there is a 1.10 version of the mod from back in October.  The notes say that it was a 1.8 update.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm facing an issue while using KSP 1.9.1 with both RealAntennas and BARIS: the built-in antenna of probes and of capsules don't show up neither in the VAB or in-flight contextual menu of the part, even though the antenna works. That's a serious issue as that's required for configuring the antennas' band and target. Antenna parts don't have that issue.

I commented out the following section into the MM_BARIS.cfg file and the menus are back:

//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter],!MODULE[ModuleBreakableTransmitter]]:FOR[BARIS]
//{
//    MODULE
//    {
//        name = ModuleBreakableTransmitter
//        qualityCheckSkill = ScienceSkill
//    }
//}

Would that happen to be some known or obvious issue?

I also have a rather heavily-modded install, inc. Kerbalism (with disabled reliability feature), and I've not yet tested with a KSP+BARIS+RealAntenna only install. Would it make sense?

Edited by Brimarx

18 hours ago, Brimarx said:

I'm facing an issue while using KSP 1.9.1 with both RealAntennas and BARIS: the built-in antenna of probes and of capsules don't show up neither in the VAB or in-flight contextual menu of the part, even though the antenna works. That's a serious issue as that's required for configuring the antennas' band and target. Antenna parts don't have that issue.

I commented out the following section into the MM_BARIS.cfg file and the menus are back:

//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter],!MODULE[ModuleBreakableTransmitter]]:FOR[BARIS]
//{
//    MODULE
//    {
//        name = ModuleBreakableTransmitter
//        qualityCheckSkill = ScienceSkill
//    }
//}

Would that happen to be some known or obvious issue?

I also have a rather heavily-modded install, inc. Kerbalism (with disabled reliability feature), and I've not yet tested with a KSP+BARIS+RealAntenna only install. Would it make sense?

You're using Kerbalism *and* BARIS? Did you disable Kerbalism's parts failure functionality, or are you using both? (curiosity - I actually don't know the cause of the RealAntenna issue, but hopefully someone here does)

Since the thread hasn't been updated yet, @Angel-125 released update 1.10.1 9 days ago on GitHub, with bug fixes. In case you see this @Angel-125, the thread title still indicates that the latest supported KSP version is 1.6.

EDIT: also, the included ModuleManager version (4.1.0) is a touch out of date, with 4.1.3 being the latest release.

Edited by bvsveera