[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

On 6/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, panarchist said:

You're using Kerbalism *and* BARIS? Did you disable Kerbalism's parts failure functionality, or are you using both? (curiosity - I actually don't know the cause of the RealAntenna issue, but hopefully someone here does)

Yes I'm using both. I did disable Kerbalism's part failure.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't seem to assign workers for integration.  I click to add and then click load, but when i go back in or to KSC view and check integration, it says 0 workers assigned.  Any help appreciated, thanks!

On 7/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, alberro+ said:

What exactly is this, and why did is come with DSEV? Can I delete it without causing problems?

bV3D1BI.png

No you cannot, if you want to use WBI mods. It's the stub of BARIS that prevents WBI mods from breaking if BARIS is not installed. Basically, it doesn't *do* anything, but if it's not there, WBI mods will try to talk to BARIS to announce certain events, and fail - presumably causing NRE spam. Angel-125 has commented on it several times in prior pages of several of the WBI mods.

Edited by panarchist

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wonder what mod set are you guys using with KCT.

By following all recommendations from both BARIS and KCT, I endedup with multiple part failure mods (BARIS and OhScrap), which I read on this topic that is a bad idea.

Would you recommend BARIS + KCT + ScapYard + StageRecovery? I wonder if they will all play nicely together :)

• 1 month later...

So does it always take time to build Vessels, Or is that only With KCT.

I Appreciate that Mod, But I Enjoy just being able to launch a Rocket ( Or Send it to the Launch Pad At Least ) With No Strings Attached, like Having to Timewarp to a Certain in game day just to launch My Rocket

KCT Complaining aside, Great Mod! I Plan to use it soon in a JNSQ, Science Mode with Unkerballed Start and A Bunch of other Mods

On 1/27/2021 at 5:08 AM, Ollz said:

So does it always take time to build Vessels, Or is that only With KCT.

I Appreciate that Mod, But I Enjoy just being able to launch a Rocket ( Or Send it to the Launch Pad At Least ) With No Strings Attached, like Having to Timewarp to a Certain in game day just to launch My Rocket

KCT Complaining aside, Great Mod! I Plan to use it soon in a JNSQ, Science Mode with Unkerballed Start and A Bunch of other Mods

I'm only just starting to use the mod myself, but if you want no-strings-attached launches of your rockets, this isn't the mod for that. I've been reading through the thread and the wiki for a couple of days now am pretty comfortable in saying that the whole mod is built around testing and patience to get the highest reliability from your craft. That said, yes, if you don't have KCT installed, I'm pretty sure you can skip vehicle integration completely, just expect lots catastrophic failures during your missions.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Can anyone give me some information on how BARIS handles multi-launch orbital construction as well as mods like Konstruction and Global Construction that allow you to build a ship on site without actually launching it from the surface per-se? I've got Extrasolar and Far Future Technologies installed and I'm expecting to launch several missions that will take months or even years to construct in orbit since I also use KCT. I'm fully aware that MTBF will degrade while in orbit, but I'm curious how that MTBF will interact with things like new parts being welded onto the ship sometime after launch.

On 31/01/2021 at 12:56, SpacedInvader said:

Alguém pode me dar algumas informações sobre como o BARIS lida com a construção orbital de multi-lançamento, bem como mods como Konstruction e Global Construction que permitem que você construa um navio no local sem realmente lançá-lo da superfície em si? Tenho o Extrasolar e o Far Future Technologies instaladas e espero lançar várias missões que levarão meses ou mesmo anos para serem construídas em órbita, já que também uso o KCT. Estou totalmente ciente de que o MTBF se degradará enquanto estiver em órbita, mas estou curioso para saber como esse MTBF irá interagir com coisas como novas peças sendo soldadas na nave algum tempo após o lançamento.

I would also like to know about it. If I decide to mount a ship in orbit, can the mod get in the way?

Another question: BARIS + KERBALISM.

Does one mod disable the other's functions to work? for example. MTBF ... parts reliability ... (forgiveness for my english from google translator) :lol:

I don't know if this is still being developed at all, but I'd like to make a suggestion that any part that's selected to fail during a staging event should have a secondary failure check against it. I'm finding that my engines tend to fail the most after a staging event even if they are the most reliable part on my whole craft because the staging even only checks against the overall reliability of the whole craft and doesn't care about the individual part reliability. Adding a secondary check would allow for high reliability parts on a lower reliability craft to have more of an impact and would also mean using a reliable engine could save a launch that would otherwise fail. It would also be nice if there was a severity check based on how badly a part failed rather than what appears to be just a random failure. Seeing in the debug that my part missed a reliability check by 2 points and then it fails completely rather than developing a leak or getting something more minor like getting stuck seems off, while adding a severity system would add depth. Just some thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but there may be a conflict between Kerbalism and non-deployable antennas.  In my tests I'm not able to transmit science using 'fixed' antenna with both BARIS and Kerbalism installed.  Deployable antenna see to work normally.  I believe this is coming from the ModuleBreakableTransmitter module, or at least removing this module fixes the problem I was having.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm antenna problems when using KERBALISM with BARIS. For me the COMMUNOTRON-8 didn't work and I didn't test on others. However I did test some other things: still having KERBALISM and BARIS but adding REMOTE TECH and using their mechanics it seems to work fine. So it looks like the communication mechanics part of KERBALISM is conflicting with BARIS here.

About other problems: I'm using KERBAL CONSTRUCTION TIME and it's working fine with BARIS. I belive disabling the worker mechanics is the way it is supposed to be. But without KERBAL CONSTRUCTION TIME the worker mechanics seem buggy. Like someone already mentioned in this thread. In the VAB when I put the vehicle in the integration bay, the + button does nothing, the MAX button works somehow and the - button seems to cancel the integration. It's like the buttons programming is mixed up. Time predictions don't update and other glitches happend that I don't recall now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Will there be integration with the stock alarm clock, now that it exists?

Also, I think I may be missing something fundamental about this...

To integrate and launch, first I build a rocket. Then I click the Begin Integration button. I assign staff to build it, save the craft, don't edit anything else, then exit the VAB. Then in the KSC scene, I open up the integration tab and time warp until it says complete... and then what?

If I go into the VAB and hit "load", nothing seems to happen. And then if I hit Launch, basically everything immediately fails and all the part qualities are at 5/5. Isn't integration supposed to take it higher than that? What am I missing here?

Edit: Also, I've run some static tests of engines, and nothing changed about their quality there either. I'm getting more and more confused about this as I go, and _yes,_ I have read the wiki.

Edited by FirroSeranel

16 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Will there be integration with the stock alarm clock, now that it exists?

Also, I think I may be missing something fundamental about this...

To integrate and launch, first I build a rocket. Then I click the Begin Integration button. I assign staff to build it, save the craft, don't edit anything else, then exit the VAB. Then in the KSC scene, I open up the integration tab and time warp until it says complete... and then what?

If I go into the VAB and hit "load", nothing seems to happen. And then if I hit Launch, basically everything immediately fails and all the part qualities are at 5/5. Isn't integration supposed to take it higher than that? What am I missing here?

Edit: Also, I've run some static tests of engines, and nothing changed about their quality there either. I'm getting more and more confused about this as I go, and _yes,_ I have read the wiki.

When it's complete, you go back into the VAB, click the BARIS button, and then click the folder icon, which loads the BARIS-modified craft file. At this point, go directly to launch. Don't add anything, delete anything, or disconnect and reconnect.

23 hours ago, panarchist said:

When it's complete, you go back into the VAB, click the BARIS button, and then click the folder icon, which loads the BARIS-modified craft file. At this point, go directly to launch. Don't add anything, delete anything, or disconnect and reconnect.

Okay, yeah, that's what I'm doing... but despite the reliability in the KSC scene integration window saying 26/26, every part on the craft is back down to 5/5. Is that normal and expected, or is something not working correctly for me?

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

Okay, yeah, that's what I'm doing... but despite the reliability in the KSC scene integration window saying 26/26, every part on the craft is back down to 5/5. Is that normal and expected, or is something not working correctly for me?

Are you using this on 1.12, because it might not work correctly? You could always post your log and hope someone takes a look at it. Its working well for me on 1.11.2 but I use KCT and not the default Baris system. Turn off integration in the menu and see if it fixes your problem.

You should also read the "readme" that comes with the mod. For static fire tests you have to switch the stand to "test" mode.

Edited by reducing

2 hours ago, reducing said:

Are you using this on 1.12, because it might not work correctly? You could always post your log and hope someone takes a look at it. Its working well for me on 1.11.2 but I use KCT and not the default Baris system. Turn off integration in the menu and see if it fixes your problem.

You should also read the "readme" that comes with the mod. For static fire tests you have to switch the stand to "test" mode.

Wait... so BARIS isn't updated for 1.12? Why does it say "Any" then for what version it works for?

I can't get LDEF experiments to work, either, or storage containers to function correctly... I suppose that means the whole WBI constellation isn't updated?

On 6/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, FirroSeranel said:

Wait... so BARIS isn't updated for 1.12? Why does it say "Any" then for what version it works for?

I can't get LDEF experiments to work, either, or storage containers to function correctly... I suppose that means the whole WBI constellation isn't updated?

Not sure where you're seeing "any" - this thread lists v1.6 in the title, and the latest build on GitHub is for 1.10.1. (Angel-125 does version numbering the same as the KSP version they were built under) I'd expect that a 1.12 update might be necessary due to KAC having a stock version now, plus there may be a few other issues. I haven't put it through it's patience on this version - 1.11.2 seemed to work just fine, so rollback is always an option if you have to have it before it's updated.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, panarchist said:

Not sure where you're seeing "any" - this thread lists v1.6 in the title, and the latest build on GitHub is for 1.10.1. (Angel-125 does version numbering the same as the KSP version they were built under) I'd expect that a 1.12 update might be necessary due to KAC having a stock version now, plus there may be a few other issues. I haven't put it through it's patience on this version - 1.11.2 seemed to work just fine, so rollback is always an option if you have to have it before it's updated.

In CKAN, it's listed as compatible with any version of KSP. Usually that's reserved for mods that are extremely certain that no changes Squad might make to the game could ever break them.

So is this compatible with 1.12?

On another note, this video is not mine but addresses something that i encountered too, there's something strange when assigning workers, inside and outside the VAB

On 7/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, FirroSeranel said:

In CKAN, it's listed as compatible with any version of KSP. Usually that's reserved for mods that are extremely certain that no changes Squad might make to the game could ever break them.

Angel-125 doesn't list his mods on CKAN unless something has changed recently, so I wouldn't trust the CKAN metadata to be accurate. Not even sure why it would be listed on CKAN as BARIS is not on Spacedock and no one filed a CKAN Github issue to have it listed. In any case, the most recent version is the 1.10.1 version released a year ago.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:40 PM, panarchist said:

Angel-125 doesn't list his mods on CKAN unless something has changed recently, so I wouldn't trust the CKAN metadata to be accurate. Not even sure why it would be listed on CKAN as BARIS is not on Spacedock and no one filed a CKAN Github issue to have it listed. In any case, the most recent version is the 1.10.1 version released a year ago.

So the mod is dead? Or any plans to make it compatible or at least say something about the mod compatibility state for 1.12? @Angel-125

I actually don't know how things are handled in CKAN, but I think a mod shouldn't be available there unless its state and compatibility are clearly maintained and informed.

19 hours ago, Xemrael said:

So the mod is dead? Or any plans to make it compatible or at least say something about the mod compatibility state for 1.12? @Angel-125

I actually don't know how things are handled in CKAN, but I think a mod shouldn't be available there unless its state and compatibility are clearly maintained and informed.

I don't know where you'd get that idea - it was updated through 1.10 and there wasn't anything in 1.11 to break it - it's definitely not dead.