[1.4.2] Before Kerbin - 2 Billion Years before Kerbol

Gameslinx

Welcome to the Official Release thread for Before Kerbin.

Before Kerbin is based on the Stock solar system, but 2 billion years ago in the past. This mod will replace your solar system, I advise beginning a new save.

Overview:

• This mod aims to add a completely new adventure as you begin on Eve (which has Kerbin's properties for ease) and explore and uncover the secrets of the old stock planets. There is lore for you to uncover on the detailed planetary surfaces.
  • This mod adds highly detailed, 4k planets, each come with their own EVE and Scatterer configurations. 
  • Every single planet and moon has been adjusted and changed, meaning yes - you can visit "Dres"!
  • All planets have been tested and I have made sure both rockets and spaceplanes can function on them all.
Spoiler

Review:

System Requirements:

• 5GB of RAM
  • KSP 64 bit

eVvKBh1.png fMp7uIA.png

9T3uf2Z.png JniU2nl.png

Donations are never asked for, but always appreciated! Help buy me a pizza if you enjoy the mod :) 

FAQ:

Will this planet mod add any new stars?

• No. This is the Kerbol system 2 billion years ago. Adding a new star means you will need modded parts to get there, which I generally disagree with. It also means separating planets and sentencing them to "will not be visited". I want to make sure all planets are easily reachable but also require a challenge once there.

Is this planet mod compatible with present day mods like OPM?

• Yep! Even the visual mods will work together, meaning you can install nearly any planet mod except those that also replace the home planet.

How much RAM do I need for this mod?

• 5GB at maximum texture quality.

This mod follows the CC-BY-NC-ND licence.

Thank you for downloading!

Zeichenflache_1DRAFT.png

Spoiler

Special Thanks to the following users:

@Thomas P. for creating Kopernicus, along with the kopernicus team

@The White Guardian for inspiring me to begin creating planets in the first place

Special Thanks to the following Beta Testers over the course of development:

@TheWanderer05, @kjack1111, @AlliedForth, @ModerndayLink

Thank you to all beta testers for their support in helping me crunch bugs. If you have any more bugs, please let me know :)

Edited by Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Cabbink said:

But why 5 gb of ram? Can it work with 4? Is there a specific reason. Why?

Because the game won't run if you don't have at least 5GB of ram and the mod installed :)

Edited by Gameslinx

8 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

as it seems a lot of users are using basic laptops with only 4 gig of ram

Sorry man - but most PCs nowadays have 8GB of ram. It's extremely difficult to release a full sized planet mod that uses less than 4 gigs. I mean, you can try lowering the texture quality in the main menu before installing the pack - that way you will probably run it on 4 gigs.

9 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

PSA: This mod WILL NOT WORK on 32-bit. Weird stripes will show up and generally look ugly.

Yep, happens with a lot of planet mods. 32 bit KSP is hardly used anymore

21 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

5 gigs of ram?! Not only is that a big number, but it means I can't even check it out. That's going to limit a lot of downloads, as it seems a lot of users are using basic laptops with only 4 gig of ram. Any chance maybe a release of smaller textures?

It's not really a big number... I have an old Asus G71 with a Core 2 Duo from like 2008, and it came stock with 6gb of ram... 

My heavily modded KSP (64bit) install was running out of memory and crashing on my 2015 Alienware laptop with 16gb of ram... my new desktop has 32gb of ram and KSP peaks at 17gb!!

2 hours ago, ModerndayLink said:

"That was fun"-me

You got sneaky early access, your opinion is biased! :P

1 hour ago, AlliedForth said:

Edit: Maybe you could post the story behind (more like before) it :P

Once my hibernation (sleep) is complete, I'll add more stuff to the thread

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Edit:so Gilly was bigger:/

Nope, gilly didn't exist back then. Serpent, Eden's moon, hit the planet. Hence the purple shades and metallic appearance, it was heavy and poisonous. It kills the life on Eden and makes it heavier and toxic.

4 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

5 gigs of ram?! Not only is that a big number, but it means I can't even check it out. That's going to limit a lot of downloads, as it seems a lot of users are using basic laptops with only 4 gig of ram. Any chance maybe a release of smaller textures?

No biggy for a lot of people, anyway, as with only 6GB of RAM, I still cant run EVE or Scatterer on a STOCK game, much less moderately modded... :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.