What game scale do you most prefer?

OhioBob

What game scale do you most prefer?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. At what scale of solar system do you most perfer to play KSP? If you use a scale not listed, select the closest.

Real Solar System (10.6x). Sure, I enjoy farting around on Kerbin and sometimes start up a stock save, and yeah, I am the guy who made the original 6.4x Kerbin (not like it's anything special to multiply numbers...), but nothing beats launching from Earth with all the graphical goodies. Kerbin just can't compare.

Spoiler

MPiGAVD.png

Might be worth losing the stock-scale option since I think it's safe to say the vast majority of players spend most or all of their time in that scale--the more interesting question being which of the other options is most preferred. I voted for 6.4x, which I've done some playing in and which I might try and do a career in one of these days, although the truth is I've spent 99% of my time in regular old 1x scale. 

1x. I can't say I'm advanced enough to play anything bigger, since I still can get lost in amount of options, resources and other stuff provided by mods, even in stock size. If I had to think biggur, it would be even worse.

I like 10x (ten sixty-six, Earth scale but the Kerbin system) for launches, especially, and for any career focussed on space - flybys, orbits, stations - generally with Real Fuels, sometimes SMURFF. You get launch profiles that last a satisfyingly long time and upper stages with noticeably different characteristics from lower stages. It's also the scale that I feel Kerbin 'really' exists at.

If I'm doing significant operations on the surface, exploring and base-building and ISRU, however, then I'll use a 3.2x scale or similar. I feel that the stock worlds are just too stretched-out if scaled up much beyond this point - selecting a landing site just means aiming for the centre of a triangle and the world effectively doesn't have terrain. I'm not sure if the RSS worlds have this issue; I haven't got as far as landings in an RSS KSP for quite some time now.

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

but I really miss when playing the same game meant having the same experiences.

Off topic, and on that note, I would have stopped playing this game literally years ago if I didn't have mods.

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Off topic, and on that note, I would have stopped playing this game literally years ago if I didn't have mods.

Oh I agree, and I'm in the same boat.

I just regret how much it...distances us from each other as players.

I'd wager most people on the forums have their KSP so heavily modded that we might all just as well be playing entirely different games.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

10 minutes ago, regex said:

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Oh I agree, and I'm in the same boat.

I just regret how much it...distances us from each other as players.

I'd wager most people on the forums have their KSP so heavily modded that we might all just as well be playing entirely different games.

I play with mods too - some are for visual effects and other are for various parts I feel the stock game is missing. But none of those "fantasy" engines. If my Kermen want to go to Jool, it will be a long, long ride... :D

I just realized I never gave my answer.  Until recently I played almost exclusive stock size.  Dabbled a little bit with RSS.  But recently I've started playing 2.5x (GPP) and really like it.  I'm still adjusting to it, like trying to relearn a lot of numbers that I use to keep in my head.  I'm also having problems with some mods not recognizing the new length of day (apparently not yet compatible with Kronometer).  Once all the bugs get worked out, I think I'll like 2.5x better than 1x.  All the stock parts work at that scale without having to SMURFF them, and the larger rockets that the game requires have a more real life look and feel to them.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Stock scale... I want to be able to enjoy the game and not have a lot of stress and grief. Games are made to be fun...

Now let's not start that again.  People have fun in different ways.  You know that.

Anyway.  Recently it's been 10x, but as most of my time has been in 6.4, I selected that.

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

Now let's not start that again.  People have fun in different ways.  You know that.

Anyway.  Recently it's been 10x, but as most of my time has been in 6.4, I selected that.

You misunderstand me.  For my enjoyment is all I am after. I don't want to have to stress out over trying to figure out different scales. In my opinion, I get all I need out of the scale stock.

Now if you want to make it 10x, 100x, 2.5x, the toy KSP system, or 1000X, then knock yourself out... have fun...

Stock. 

I've landed and returned from everything in the stock system numerous times, and I played RSS without RO for a little bit, and could barely reach orbit. 

Though I'm now on the fence again about jumping up to a bigger scale, but I'll definitely be using more parts mods with it.

While I really enjoy RO/RSS (the sense of achievement is just great there), I find myself escaping to my stock/3.2x installs when I just want to have fun and launch something to space right now. So, RSS when I want to really conquer space, and 3.2x or stock when I just want to see explosions or build enormous stuff.

MIchal.don

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.