how do you get to the Mun?

It takes a little bit of trial and error to get the hang of it.  But generally, to go to the Mun from equatorial, low Kerbin orbit, you want to do your burn about 90 degrees "behind" the mun.  So, if you imagine the Kerbin sphere of influence is a clock with Kerbin in the center and the Mun at 12 o'clock, you want to do the burn at about 3 o'clock.  You want the burn to be somewhere around 860 m/s, all prograde.  

But those are very general parameters, and it will probably take some adjustment of the burn point or the m/s to get the just the intercept you want.  

There are several good YouTube vids that will tell you how to do this. There are also guides here and elsewhere. 

If you don't fancy reading or watching vids but would rather play the game then you can install the extremely popular and excellent MechJeb mod . You can then let it set up maneuvers for you, like a Hohmann transfer from Kerbin orbit to a Munar intercept.  Once you have seen how to do it you can then either make your own maneuver nodes in the future or continue to use MJ

If it's the Mun you're traveling to, the maneuver is actually pretty easy (though it won't seem so early on). I say easy because it's in an equatorial orbit, so you won't need an inclination change. For a very simple rundown: launch your rocket and turn due east (90 degrees). Once you're in a stable, equatorial orbit, setup a maneuver node. Spin the prograde dial until your projected orbit (the yellow line) reaches the Mun's orbit (about 11,000km). Now left-click and hold on the maneuver node itself and drag it around your orbit until you encounter the Mun (you'll know when you do). This will get you a very simple encounter. I'm not sure how much else you want to know right now. As @Aegolius13 said, there are plenty of videos out there. For me, I think the training missions are excellent learning tools, and I highly recommend running through them all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.