[1.12.x] Trim Indicator [v1.12.0.0 — 2021-06-27]

Teilnehmer

Trim Indicator

version 1.12.0.0

64lQFCh.png

A minimalistic add-on displaying trim values (if they are non-zero) inside the control gauges.

By default, shows pitch, yaw, and roll trim.
In order to show wheel motor trim and wheel steer trim, change the ShowWheelTrim setting to True in the .settings file.

Spoiler

YtA6JYe.png

Available via CKAN.
Download from github: https://github.com/formicant/TrimIndicator/releases
Source: https://github.com/formicant/TrimIndicator

License: GNU GPL v3

Version history:

Spoiler

– Updated to KSP 1.12.0.

– Updated to KSP 1.11.0.

– Updated to KSP 1.10.0.

– Updated to KSP 1.9.0.

– Updated to KSP 1.8.1.

– Target .net framework changed to 4.8.
– Updated to KSP 1.8.0.

– Updated to KSP 1.6.

– Updated to KSP 1.5.1.

– Updated to KSP 1.4.5.

– Updated to KSP 1.4.4.

– Updated to KSP 1.4.3.

– Updated to KSP 1.4.2.

– Updated to KSP 1.4.1.

– Updated to KSP 1.3.1.

– Staging mode / docking mode / orbital map button issue fixed.

– Wheel trim settings added

– A little optimization

– Initial release

Edited by Teilnehmer

Version 1.3.0.2

I’ve added wheel motor trim to the right of the pitch gauge and wheel steer trim below the yaw gauge.

YtA6JYe.png

Since it doesn’t look nice, I made it off by default.

If you want wheel trim, open the ‘TrimIndicator.settings’ file in the mod folder and change the ShowWheelTrim setting there to True.

Edited by Teilnehmer

5 minutes ago, Teilnehmer said:

The AutoActions mod now allows setting vessel’s initial trim values.

Never knew that was a thing. Fantastic!

What was that older mod that included actual little trim "bugs" in the gauge, adjacent to the control input indicator? Your numbers seem to be floating in the same position. I'm loving that I can now jot down the literal trim values per craft at different speeds/altitudes. Thank you!

Internally, trim values are floating-point numbers of the interval [−1; +1]. I considered this not very convenient, so both here and in AutoActions, as a unit I used the minimal step the user can change the values with keyboard — 0.002. So the trim values are represented by integer numbers −500 … +500.
Do you think, it’s OK? Or should I have left as is?

The wheel steer trim has positive values when turning left and negative ones when turning right, opposite to how the yaw trim works. Both here and in AutoActions, I decided to invert the wheel steer trim values to match the yaw trim.
Do you think, it’s also OK? Or should I have left as is?

Edited by Teilnehmer

@Teilnehmer, I think both of your choices on numbers are a good idea.  I can understand to some degree using a float behind the scenes for trim, but it needs to be converted for display, either into a sliding indicator or an integer scale.  And making the sign the same on yaw and steering trim is an intelligent adjustment too (though why Squad made them different in the first place...).

This mod is useful, but I've noticed that it interferes with clicking the Staging Mode, Docking Mode and Orbital Map buttons in flight — with trim zeroed, only the top few pixels of the docking button, and the bottom few pixels of the map button, are clickable.  With trim moved up or down, different parts of the buttons are obstructed.  Since those buttons are right next to the pitch indicator where the vertical trim number appears, I'm guessing the trim label is extending out from the pitch indicator and partially covering the buttons, intercepting clicks despite being transparent.

(Workaround is to use the Insert/Delete/M keyboard shortcuts.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, garwel said:

I never quite understood what these trim values are for. Do they affect how quickly the pitch/yaw/roll return to 0 or what?

say you have an unbalanced vessel that likes to roll to the left. You can apply constant right aileron or you could trim the roll controls over to the right as much as needed to keep the craft level. Want to have a slow steady climb/descent without actually needing to push forward or backwards on the elevator controls? Set some trim. Note this takes away from your normal control authority, which is especially dangerous when landing. If you have a lot of upwards elevator trim set and you need to climb quickly after slowing down too much, you won't be able to pitch the nose up much higher

• 3 months later...

It's shocking how few people actually know what trim is. As far as I know the trim keybindings aren't even in the ksp settings....

Anyways if you know what trim is and you like flying planes over a distance this mod is a nice thing to have.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, maculator said:

It's shocking how few people actually know what trim is. As far as I know the trim keybindings aren't even in the ksp settings....

Anyways if you know what trim is and you like flying planes over a distance this mod is a nice thing to have.

Thanks.

I wish trim was handled separate from the full control authority. In real life trim is applied with smaller tabs set within the control surface so you still have full range of authority when moving the elevators, rudders and ailerons. Here the entire control surface is being moved, which is what lead to my warning that having nearly full trim lessens the amount of movement you have in that direction

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Teilnehmer, how hard would be to "lock" your controls into specifics ailerons? (assuming it's possible at all).

I agree with @Drew Kerman, smaller and dedicated surfaces on the ailerons itself would be the ideal solution. So... Why not put small ailerons on the ailerons itself, disable the authority on them (so the game would not use them) and make your add-on the controller for them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.