[1.12.x] Trim Indicator [v1.12.0.0 — 2021-06-27]

Teilnehmer

38 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Are there some hot keys for trim? Or do I need a separate mod to actually set my trim in-flight?

To add trim press the alt key and one of the control inputs (a,s,d,q,w,e) , press alt and x to reset trim to 0

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

I agree with @Drew Kerman, smaller and dedicated surfaces on the ailerons itself would be the ideal solution. So... Why not put small ailerons on the ailerons itself, disable the authority on them (so the game would not use them) and make your add-on the controller for them?

This makes a lot of sense.

I’m afraid, for me it’s too complicated. Control surfaces on other control surfaces sounds like new parts (ideally, procedural ones) with a non-standard behavior. Maybe, guys from B9 or AirplanePlus or other experienced mod developers can help?

10 minutes ago, Teilnehmer said:

I’m afraid, for me it’s too complicated. Control surfaces on other control surfaces sounds like new parts (ideally, procedural ones) with a non-standard behavior. Maybe, guys from B9 or AirplanePlus or other experienced mod developers can help?

If you don't mind, I want to give a shot on it in the next weeks. How about:

1. Add a property on every control surface (using Module Manager) called "Trim Tab" default to false.
  2. If the user changes to true, the plugin deactivates the authority to prevent the engine to use them, and sets it "by brute force" in function of the trim value the user wants.

The complicated part appears to be traversing the parts tree searching for the desired control surfaces to configure them.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:38 PM, mrmcp1 said:

To add trim press the alt key and one of the control inputs (a,s,d,q,w,e) , press alt and x to reset trim to 0

Hmm....  I cannot seem to get any trim adjustments at all, even holding Alt and mashing an input key do nothing.  Although atl and x cut my throttle.  It's almost as if the alt key does nothing...  Not sure if it makes a difference, I am using 1.3.1. and I have not installed this plugin yet

Is there an option that needs to be set in the main settings screen before going into a save game?  I have yet to find anything in the Input screen for assigning keys to trim either.

Thoughts?

On 4/6/2018 at 11:37 PM, Teilnehmer said:

Yep, I see your point. :-)

Besides creating a "special" control surface (not that hard), one need to intercept the TRIM commands, nullifies them and then set that specially control surface (not that easy) instead.

Still studying the subject.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yep, I see your point. :-)

Besides creating a "special" control surface (not that hard), one need to intercept the TRIM commands, nullifies them and then set that specially control surface (not that easy) instead.

Still studying the subject.

there is maybe an option if you use FAR, which is to adjust the AoA tweakable while in flight. I'm actually just thinking of this literally right now. This gives the control surface a simulated angle to the airstream without affecting its range of motion. So for example increasing the AoA of an elevator control would pitch the nose up but the actual control axis indicator would not move. I'm not entirely sure what the overall effect would be though - I'm going to go ask over in the FAR thread

10 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

there is maybe an option if you use FAR, which is to adjust the AoA tweakable while in flight. 

The easy way out, attaching a smaller control surface into another one, it's not allowed by the game. :-)

I didn't thought on the AoA, nice catch.

Currently, I'm trying to prototype the idea using a arbitrary control surface "marked" as a trim tab - I just clip a smaller control surface inside a bigger one on the same place and that's it. This working, I can proceed to the next step.

Edited by Lisias

On 4/8/2018 at 4:58 AM, smotheredrun said:

Hmm....  I cannot seem to get any trim adjustments at all, even holding Alt and mashing an input key do nothing.  Although atl and x cut my throttle.  It's almost as if the alt key does nothing...  Not sure if it makes a difference, I am using 1.3.1. and I have not installed this plugin yet

I just fired up a 1.3.1 to see that. Well, it works on a vanilla install. But it works *slowly*. Very slowly - and the control indicator on the HUD moves.

Try a clean install, then add your mods one by one. I can't think on anything else.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

I just fired up a 1.3.1 to see that. Well, it works on a vanilla install. But it works *slowly*. Very slowly - and the control indicator on the HUD moves.

Try a clean install, then add your mods one by one. I can't think on anything else.

I've noticed it moves very slowly.  And then, of course, when you go and move the stick (at super-sonic speeds) your aircraft likes to do the opposite of what you'd like.  I think some of my planes need some COM/COL adjustments more than I need trim :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to follow up:

On 4/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, Lisias said:

Currently, I'm trying to prototype the idea using a arbitrary control surface "marked" as a trim tab - I just clip a smaller control surface inside a bigger one on the same place and that's it. This working, I can proceed to the next step.

It didn't worked. :P

I need to reverse engineer some control-surfaces mods to try that stunt I pulled out from my hat few months ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, Zero266 said:

there used to be a mod like this that instead of putting numbers by the arrows it just added smaller arrows opposite them to indicate trim, would it be possible to get that as an option in this mod?

On 1/2/2019 at 6:54 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Sure.

By the way, currently, the position of the number depends on the value non-linearly. Should the arrows move the same way or should they move linearly?

It used to be part of Nano Gauges, IIRC. It broke a few (many) versions ago due to some KSP UI alterations, or more likely a jump in Unity versions. I loved those little markers. I'm beginning to appreciate the numbers now, though -- it lets me re-zero a given axis w/o having to wipe all trim entirely. Any concept of possibly having both (or make numbers visible with a toggle?)

I'd prefer it to linearly represent the exact amount of control input/deflection. 50% trim should be half-way up the gauge.

Edited by Beetlecat

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Sure.

By the way, currently, the position of the number depends on the value non-linearly. Should the arrows move the same way or should they move linearly?

If you ever decide to stop supporting this please let me know. I consider this to be one of the very few things I would say should be in stock.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you ever decide to stop supporting this please let me know. I consider this to be one of the very few things I would say should be in stock.

I’m working on the update now. I’ll try to release it before Monday night :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.