[1.3.0] Vens Stock Revamp Revamped 1.10.1

toric5

Vens Stock Part Revamp that replaces many of the stock textures and models in the game, beautifying them in the process. on top of this, there are a collection of new parts to complement stock and fill in missing bits.

[Pics coming... eventually]

As Ven does not seem to be actively developing his mod anymore, I have decided continue it. I plan on adjusting balance, fixing what bugs i can, and maintaining compatibility with other mods. (to a reasonable extent.)

You can download the mod here

Original VSR thread here

License: CC BY-SA 4.0

This mod uses and distributes Module Manager in its original form. Credits go to Sarbian and Ialdabaoth.

changelog:

v1.10.0
----
-First release by TheToric
-rebalanced added tanks (cryox series and soft tanks) to follow proper mass ratios. no longer OP.
-Added USI LS support with a patch by forum user Kerbal 101
-added Community Tech Tree support thanks to forum user Mr Betalguese
-added patch to switch soft tanks to LH2 if cryogenic engines or kerbal atomics is installed
-removed barometer, thermometer, accelerometer, and gravimeter replacement models. (they seem to have been placeholders, as they were all identical.)
-added some fuel storage to 2.5M NTR.
----
v1.10.1
-----
-re-added science parts
----

Edited by toric5

6 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

It would have been better to fork Ven's repository, or at the very least, make your first commit the unchanged repository, and work from there, so that it would be easier to track the specific changes you made from his version.

sorry about that. still learning git. everything is most of the changes were already done a while before I decided to release it. Is there any way to do it now, short of deleting the repository and starting again?

8 hours ago, toric5 said:

sorry about that. still learning git. everything is most of the changes were already done a while before I decided to release it. Is there any way to do it now, short of deleting the repository and starting again?

Not that I know of, sorry.  Probably the easiest way to go about this (if you want to) is:

1. Make a copy of your VenStockRevamp folder somewhere outside of your working directory.
  2. Delete the working directory.
  3. Fork Ven's repo (on GitHub).
  4. Clone your fork onto your computer.
  5. Put your files back.  You should be able to simply delete the GameData/VenStockRevamp folder and replace it with the one you set aside, and Git will work out which files you've changed and removed.  (You might have to go in and manually add the files you've added.)
  6. Commit and push.

11 hours ago, toric5 said:

removed barometer, thermometer, accelerometer, and gravimeter replacement models. (they seem to have been placeholders, as they were all identical.)

What makes you think these were placeholders?  Just because the sizes of the files were the same doesn't mean they are identical.

I can guarantee that if you tried to compare the files, you would find differences in the first 10-15 bytes of each file.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the attention to this mod! :D

Like others are suggesting, please revisit some of your initial decisions -- the science parts were "standardized" to look less cartoony, not at all placeholders.

The models for the science instruments ARE identical...EXCEPT for one little detail: each has a small difference in the UV map, covering the "identification "decal"" in the texture which visually identifies each instrument...

The models "could" be trimmed down to just one, by using a texture switching mod as a dependency... As there are probably more models & textures that could use a little optimization...But then you're introducing mod dependencies that many people may argue against, as well as possibly breaking craft- (& possibly game-) saves...One benefit might be shrinking the size of the mod down from ~235MB... But no way to determine how much of a gain that might be (and if its even worth it), until AFTER the work is all done...
Maybe it might be worth considering making a "lo-res" version for those of us on potato computers, by shrinking the texture sizes??... Most seem to be 1024x1024...
512x512 might not be too much of a hit on graphics quality, if it can be balanced by a big enough performance gain... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

16 hours ago, toric5 said:

ok. adding the science instruments back in in the next release, as well as deleting the repository and adding the base VSR as the initial commit.

Be aware that Ven did a large update last night, it may already include much of what you are trying to do.

1 hour ago, HiThere!2 said:

Sorry to disappoint, but Ven just released his update for 1.3: https://github.com/VenVen/Stock-Revamp

AFAICT from following the Ven Revamped topic, @Ven and @linuxgurugamer, with the assistance of a few others, are actively working on updating the Github master (I think you saw the big update Ven did 2 days ago), but it's still in progress and hasn't had a new version released.  I'd wait a bit to let them work their magic.so not to get stuck with something half-revised.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:53 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Be aware that Ven did a large update last night, it may already include much of what you are trying to do.

thanks. ill work on merging his changes with mine, and probably shut this thread down. From the reply that Ven gave me in his PM, I thought that he was for the most part done developing his mod. I honestly feel pretty bad about this, and hope that I can apply this lesson to my next public release.

Thanks for your support, TheToric