mini mun

hello people of KSP i come to you today with a challenge!

the basic premise of this challenge is to get to the mun with the smallest amount of parts from the KSC. simple, right? well the catch is you must go there and back and then back to the mun and then return home:) (kerbin->mun,mun->kerbin,kerbin->mun,mun->kerbin.

i only have two rules, no hyperedit and no SRBs. 

have fun and show me what you made:)

I'd definitely check out this challenge, which is pretty much what you are aiming at.  Last post was in June, and last OP visit in July:

If you are re-booting might be worth contacting the OP @Der Anfang out of courtesy to check if they consider the existing challenge thread to be dead.  If you don't get a reply within a reasonable time period you are probably good to go.  The premise is so ridiculous it's just the kind of thing us KSp'ers are likely to try, but only given a decent looking challenge thread with some sort of form to it.  things you need to think about are:

1) Why no SRB use allowed?  Seems like a perfectly reasonable rocket part to me.

2) How are you scoring this - You can have a smaller number of parts but a much heavier rocket.  In my (but not everyone's) opinion the lighter rocket should score higher.  Parts number isn't always the way to go as you just end up with 3 or 4 minimum part solutions and then the challenge is basically over, and some people really like over building.  You might want to think about some scoring system.

3) Think about categories - Stock, Modded, stock only etc and create a couple of scoreboards

4) Added interest - Awards for doing remarkable things.  Check out the current TOTM The K-Prize thread for an example of this done well

5) Presentation - Super important.  A badly formatted challenge gives the impression you don't care and are likely to drop the challenge at a moments notice.  Entries for this might take some time to create so people want to know that you are going to invest as much energy into the thread as they will.  Good well thought out presentation always helps

6) Badge - Helps draw the crowds in :)

Over all - It's a challenge that has previously proved rather popular.  If you put a little energy into the OP you will likely see quite a lot of interest.  In it's current form probably little to none, or 5 pages of questions and clarification requests (EDIT - My point made my Ninja ^^)

Good luck!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

To rocket propelled giraffe, doesn't have to be single stage but it can be a classic tower rocket, I think that docking would be a bit cheap but to each there own.

to speeding mullet, oh.. never saw it lol have been off the forums for a while. Thank you for showing me that and the pointers. I am not one for over explanation on things but prefer short sweet and to the point challenges(just my perspective:) ) I will use those tips on the future however

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2017 at 2:25 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

I'd definitely check out this challenge, which is pretty much what you are aiming at.  Last post was in June, and last OP visit in July:

If you are re-booting might be worth contacting the OP @Der Anfang out of courtesy to check if they consider the existing challenge thread to be dead.  If you don't get a reply within a reasonable time period you are probably good to go.  The premise is so ridiculous it's just the kind of thing us KSp'ers are likely to try, but only given a decent looking challenge thread with some sort of form to it.  things you need to think about are:

1) Why no SRB use allowed?  Seems like a perfectly reasonable rocket part to me.

2) How are you scoring this - You can have a smaller number of parts but a much heavier rocket.  In my (but not everyone's) opinion the lighter rocket should score higher.  Parts number isn't always the way to go as you just end up with 3 or 4 minimum part solutions and then the challenge is basically over, and some people really like over building.  You might want to think about some scoring system.

3) Think about categories - Stock, Modded, stock only etc and create a couple of scoreboards

4) Added interest - Awards for doing remarkable things.  Check out the current TOTM The K-Prize thread for an example of this done well

5) Presentation - Super important.  A badly formatted challenge gives the impression you don't care and are likely to drop the challenge at a moments notice.  Entries for this might take some time to create so people want to know that you are going to invest as much energy into the thread as they will.  Good well thought out presentation always helps

6) Badge - Helps draw the crowds in :)

Over all - It's a challenge that has previously proved rather popular.  If you put a little energy into the OP you will likely see quite a lot of interest.  In it's current form probably little to none, or 5 pages of questions and clarification requests (EDIT - My point made my Ninja ^^)

Good luck!

SM

No, the thread is not dead. It is indeed still around for anyone to complete. :)I wanted to get an official badge done but nobody seemed interested in helping me with this. But I wanted to make this an official challenge if I could.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.