Should We Launch a Kid to Space?

Pawelk198604

No. Why would we? Sure, there might be interesting scientific results about reactions of still growing human body to microgravity, but on the other hand being in space puts a huge strain even on adult bodies. Why endanger a child? Why risk a failed launch, and inevitable tsunami of backlash of the enraged people across the world? Nah. Too many "contras", not enough "pros".

Hmmmmm.... interesting. I'm not sure where I stand on this yet.... it would be dangerous to the kid, for sure. That part is obvious. But no more or less dangerous than it is for an adult.

However, if we're really going to build colonies and stations some day, then are all the children going to be born in space? Not likely. So I suppose sending kids into orbit, and then perhaps further, has to start somewhere.

And granted, while I agree with the article this would be mostly a publicity thing... it's a really brilliant one. What better way to inspire the younger generation(s) around the world to want to be astronauts again?

But if it goes bad... then the opposite happens... 

I don't know.... all I can say is if he does go, then I will be watching, and I wish him and the rest of the crew the very best.  :)

Edited by Just Jim

Im going to go out on a limb and say this is a pretty stupid idea. Pure marketing.

Its not that there wouldnt be any benefits, like I got a benefit when my dad took me to see the captain on a flight to canada when I was 4, but the factors against are significant and numerous. And for what? Give a single child a unique experience? Generate publicity?

Sentimental tosh.

...meh. This is why I don't subscribe to space.com anymore.

So... a "space enthusiast" and "author of the children's book 'The Astronaut Instruction Manual'" wants NASA to send kids to space. So what? Crazyheads want NASA to do their bidding all the time.

His reasons are not very compelling, either. 

But danger didn't stop children from boarding airplanes in the days when crashes were a disturbingly regular occurrence, Mongo said

Well dude, those children got on a plane to get somewhere, not to sell your book

Also, there's a subheadline saying "Why not?", but nowhere in the article is a "why", except, for a dodgy "may inspire future generations".

Then, this gem:

Michalopoulos eventually became a member of Greece's Cabinet, serving as minister of information from 1941 to 1943, according to his obituary. He played a significant role in the effort against the Nazis during World War II, Mongo said. (Michalopoulos, who later became a professor of classical literature in the United States, died in 1982 at age 85.)

"We let a kid fly in an airplane, and he defeated the Nazis," Mongo said. "What's going to happen when we put a kid in a rocket ship?" 

Wow. That's worse than Brazilian journalism.

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

No. Why would we? Sure, there might be interesting scientific results about reactions of still growing human body to microgravity, but on the other hand being in space puts a huge strain even on adult bodies. Why endanger a child? Why risk a failed launch, and inevitable tsunami of backlash of the enraged people across the world? Nah. Too many "contras", not enough "pros".

Exactly it would  mainly public stunt like Yuri Gagarin or Valentina Tereshkova first flight but it would be scientific endeavor as well to learn how young human organism works in space   :-)

Edited by Pawelk198604

Just now, Pawelk198604 said:

public stunt like Yuri  Gagarin or Valentina Tereshkova first flight

WAT.

So, the demonstration of human-rated capabilities, the first results of human exposure to zero G, and the first results on the difference between male and female physiology in space are publicity stunts?

Sure, there's some scientific value in sending a child just like there was sending Valentina. But, try sticking those kids in a centrifugue first?

5 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Exactly it would  mainly public stunt like Yuri  Gagarin or Valentina Tereshkova first flight but it would be scientific endeavor as well to learn how young human organism works in space   :-)

You know, experimenting on children is generally frowned upon.

Whilst the first crewed missions had a generous helping of propaganda value, its a YUUUUUUUGE stretch to make a comparison between that and this.

Instead of sending a single child to space, how about we send ten thousand to space camp for the same price? In terms of "inspiring a generation" it would be vastly more effective / ethical / safe.

Apologies to all of those kids reading that would love the chance, I want you to go to space, just

1303tf.jpg

Betteridge's law of headlines says no.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Im going to go out on a limb and say this is a pretty stupid idea. Pure marketing.

This is pretty much the same reason NASA tried to put a teacher in space.  It wasn't a good idea then, it is worse now.  If you are mass limited, look for a small enough woman (NASA required all astronauts [at least until the Shuttle] to be under 6 feet tall (roughly 180cm), although some of them were pretty stocky).

8 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Betteridge's law of headlines says no.

That the one that says "If a headline is a question, the answer is 'No'"? I love that, use it all the time myself. Taught it to my wife, too, we sometimes do it aloud to each other when in our laptops :D

7 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Did they? How'd that work out?

Can't... tell... if joke... or not... x_x

32 minutes ago, monstah said:

That the one that says "If a headline is a question, the answer is 'No'"? I love that, use it all the time myself. Taught it to my wife, too, we sometimes do it aloud to each other when in our laptops :D

I have to write that one down!  :D

53 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Definition of kid: A young goat. One of the young of certain similar animals.

So, we've launched squirrels, dogs, monkeys, rats, and humans. Sure, why not throw up some young juvenile goats into orbit. I bet they will get a baaaaa-ng out of it!

Spoiler

qRBVOqxl.jpg?

Way ahead of you.

I hope to build a future where any kid can go to space if they want to. That'd be a lot better than picking just one.

45 minutes ago, monstah said:

Can't... tell... if joke... or not... x_x

Im gonna assume its not, at least someone reading this wont know:

The "Teacher in Space" program was supposed to inspire a generation of studends, sadly it went wrong in the worst possible way. Christa McAuliffe was onboard when Challenger exploded, watched by lots of pupils in the USA.

Regarding a child in space: Nope, experiments on kids arent exactly right. Its like giving a 5 year old alcohol to see what happens, even if the child agrees its still wrong.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I hope to build a future where any kid can go to space if they want to. That'd be a lot better than picking just one.

If we ever create colonies on the Moon, we might get to the point that going to Grandma's house involves getting on board a shuttle, traversing the space between the Moon and Earth, and then reentering and landing at a space port (now that would be cool!). Then to get back home, you'd have to do the whole process in reverse! Can you imagine being 14 years old and being a "space traveler"?

If it's for PR, it's instrumentalising a child, which is bad and counter-productive.

If it's for science, then it's unethical and illegal, which is bad.

When there is no reason to do something, then don't do it. Doing something "because you can" is stupid.

The difficulty with sending children into space lies mainly with their training and ability to perform under pressure. Children lose motivation and interest very quickly, and whether any would actually complete the exhaustive training necessary for space travel is doubtful. In addition, most kids have trouble even completing a school test under pressure, say nothing about actually performing in a life or death situation if one were to arise. In my opinion, children will eventually be sent into space, but before that can happen we need more reliable spacecraft, new training methods tailored to children, and crew members trained to handle kids under pressure. Perhaps parents should train with and be sent into space with their kids. Yes, space travel is dangerous, but instead of saying we can't do it it's too dangerous we need to find ways to make it safe. Children likely will not go to space until boarding a rocket for orbit is like boarding a plane for Tokyo.

Edited by The Dunatian

Just now, adsii1970 said:

If we ever create colonies on the Moon, we might get to the point that going to Grandma's house involves getting on board a shuttle, traversing the space between the Moon and Earth, and then reentering and landing at a space port (now that would be cool!). Then to get back home, you'd have to do the whole process in reverse! Can you imagine being 14 years old and being a "space traveler"?

Of course! That would be mind-blowingly cool. But that will inevitably have to come after we build those colonies. As they become established, visiting Grandma on the Moon will become easier and easier. Our job now is not to send a single, or a few kids into low Earth orbit or even to fly by a lifeless Moon, but to kick-start the proper colonization effort so that there will be places that actually can be visited on other worlds.

39 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

The difficulty with sending children into space lies mainly with their training and ability to perform under pressure. Children lose motivation and interest very quickly, and whether any would actually complete the exhaustive training necessary for space travel is doubtful. In addition, most kids have trouble even completing a school test under pressure, say nothing about actually performing in a life or death situation if one were to arise. In my opinion, children will eventually be sent into space, but before that can happen we need more reliable spacecraft, new training methods tailored to children, and crew members trained to handle kids under pressure. Perhaps parents should train with and be sent into space with their kids. Yes, space travel is dangerous, but instead of saying we can't do it it's too dangerous we need to find ways to make it safe. Children likely will not go to space until boarding a rocket for orbit is like boarding a plane for Tokyo.

You'd be surprised...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Dekker

Children can be surprisingly industrious. But should we allow them to do it? After raising three, i'd say - no. That's the role of a parent: anticipate the dangers, even imaginary and improbable ones - and protecting the child from them. Encouraging your child to work hard towards such goal on the other hand, inspiring his or hers imagination, ambition - that's other part of being a good parent :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.