[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] KW Rocketry Rebalanced

linuxgurugamer

KW Rocketry has evolved.

F2tKqHV.png

Downloadhttps://spacedock.info/mod/1497/KW Rocketry Rebalanced

Source codehttps://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KWRocketryRedux (in the Rebalanced branch)

License:

MSvS1WB.png

Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike

CC BY-NC-SA

Dependencies:  Module Manager

Suggested Mod:  PatchManager (included in zip file)

Changes from the Redux version:

• Installation has been cleaned up
  • All tanks have had their masses and volumes recalculated.  Most smaller tanks ended up lighter and with less fuel, most larger tanks ended up lighter and with more fuel.
  • The Instant Power Response configs have been merged with the main directory, the Graduated Power Response have been converted into a ModuleManager patch file
  • PatchManager is included with KW to install the Graduated Power Response patch, if desired.

The install has been simplified so that there is no confusion anymore.  

• Simply put the entire KWRocketry folder into your GameData folder and you are all set.
  • The default power response is set to the Instant Power Response.
  • PatchManager is now used to install the Graduated Power Response configs if you want them.

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

eo2kcoO.png

KW Rocketry is the premiere modpack produced by Kickasskyle and Winston. Built originally for KSP version .15, KW Rocketry has seen many iterations, and has been reworked for KSP version .22 up to what we see now. KW Rocketry was originally produced as a pack meant to add more parts with realistic balance to KSP, with a focus on VAB built vehicles. KSP has been widely used, however, for everything from fuel stations to shuttles and has seen many fan built craft posted on the KSP official forums.

KW Rocketry now features emissives on every engine, normals for every part, and a number of brand new parts, including side-mounted tanks styled after those on the Vostok and Soyuz rockets. KW Rocketry also includes two different versions of the vanilla strut part, a choice of automatic or manual engine fairings and a number of 1-5m converter fuel tank parts.

----POWER RESPONSE ----
There are two different power response configs.  One is an instant response, similar to stock, and the second is a graduated power response, where it takes the engines a few seconds spool up to full thrust

----GRADUATED POWER RESPONSE ----
Use PatchManager to install the patch for the Graduated Power Response

----INSTANT POWER RESPONSE ----
This is the default install

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

A Teaser trailer for v2.6, by Winston.

3m Petal Adapter Instructional Video & Image:

An Instructional Image

KSP-AVC Notice

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available.

Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

28 minutes ago, Nachocuban said:

I assume this conflicts with KW Redux. And I should uninstall that mod before installing this one, correct?

Will this cause any issues on current vessels if I uninstall KW Redux, and install this version?

I uninstalled KW Redux and installed this new KW with no issues at all relating to craft already in flight.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought regarding the Graduated Power Response configs -- there used to be a mod that added gradual power response to all rocket engines, regardless of mod. Maybe it would be an idea to resurrect that, if possible, and make it a dependency? That would make KW's graduated response config redundant (although maybe it would still have to be maintained for backwards compatibility?) and have the larger advantage of consistent power response across all one's engines.

Now there's a thought. Obviously I'd only want to apply it to liquid engines. I don't know quite how detailed you can go with MM configs, but initial ideas would be to have different values for LFO and monoprop engines and to scale it with the max thrust value too, with bigger engines taking longer to spool up (which I guess are both realistic-ish?)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I bothered to check for an update today. A web search only coughs up the link to v2.7 without a fight, so I was still running that until now, but today I found Redux and then followed that here. Good to see there's a current version, but I do wonder how many other similarly loyal but unmotivated KW users haven't found the updates yet - none of my friends knew. Maybe a moderator could crack open the older threads and put up a link with instructions in big evil red letters?

In any case, KW is one of the first three mods I got, back before beta, and it's one of the handful I simply cannot live without. My GameData is just under 2GB now, but to this day nearly everything I've built would cease to exist without KW. Thanks for what you do.

I for one consider this mod as a must-install if for no other reason than my nostalgia for the KW-style fairings (non-procedural, non-confetti -- dear lord I hate the stock fairings with a passion.)

So, thank you for maintaining this and all of the other mods that you work on.

My question for here -- whether manual install of CKAN, what is the difference between the Redux and the Rebalanced versions?  I'm experiencing CKAN-crashes from an overwrite error because both Redux and Rebalanced are attempting to write the same GameData\KWRocketry\Flags\KWFlag01.png.  This might be a packaging bug, or it may be that these two mods are in conflict and I should run one or the other.  Hence my curiosity as to how they're different, so that I might choose.

Generally, I'd go by the datestamps on their respective forum threads, with this one for Rebalanced being the more recently visited by the author.  And in the other thread, it's explicitly stated that this one will be more closely monitored and supported.  But both seem to have been recently updated within the CKAN index for KSP v1.3.1.  Which implies that both versions are equally supported.  Which implies that the conflict I'm observing might not be known or intentional.  So I'm asking about it here.  :)

Edited by MisterFister

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ATG said:

@linuxgurugamer Thank you for keeping this mod alive.

I noticed in the mod's 'KWCommunityFixes' folder that there is a file named 'SRB Fix' that does not have an extension so it obviously not being used. Is this intentional? Should I delete it or give it a .cfg extension?

Are you using the Rebalanced version?

If so, you can delete it, I tend to keep old copies of files around for a while

1 hour ago, Nightwindale said:

Petal adapter doesn't work properly for me (doesn't decopule top node) even after fully deleting old KW Redux and installing this Rebalanced version. Any suggestion why? Installation was done via CKAN.

Please describe how you are doing the decoupling

Hey there, i finally had a look at this mod version now and i have to say, great work.

But i found a few minor "issues" which some of the fuel tanks.

• The 1.25m and 2.50m pancake tanks share their internal designation with some other tanks.  "KW Rocketry SA-1 LFT" and "KW Rocketry SB-2 LFT" are both already in use in "KW1mtankL1.cfg" and "KW2mtankL2.cfg" files. I personally would rename the pancake tanks to " KW Rocketry SA-1P LFT",  "KW Rocketry SB-1P LFT" and also rename the 3m pancake tank to "KW Rocketry SC-1P LFT" to achieve some consistency.
  • There's a little typo in the "KW5mtankL3_5.cfg" file. The amount of oxidizer is set to 34114 instead of 35114.

Also, i would like to talk about the 2.5 and 3 meter -4A fuel tanks, the unpainted ones. If i remember correctly, they were originally a little bit lighter than their painted -4 counterparts. Wouldn't it be intresting to introduce that again, but made the -4A versions significantly less heatresistant for instance?

And one last point, although it's probably more a point of general discussion. Are the medium and heavy struts really still used by somebody? I mean at the time the first version of this mod appeared, they were useful, no question about it. But with KSP v1.3.1 i don't see why we still need them. It's not like in v0.22 anymore, when anything had the general tendency to fall apart by just looking at it.