[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] KW Rocketry Rebalanced

linuxgurugamer

Yes, struts are used, if for nothing else than being able to load older craft.

I'll look at those pancake tanks, thanks, and the typo as well.

The weight difference isn't that much for small tanks like those, so I'm not going to (now, at least) make any changes to the weights.  Maybe later

• 2 weeks later...

I took a good look at this mod over the weekend...wow, nice work on the updates.

I have 2 requests if you're entertaining any changes:

1. Remove 'KW Rocketry' from the beginning of each part name. it's a lot of extra text to scan through and makes it more difficult to find the right parts.
    1. I'd be willing to help with this if you like the idea.
  2. Add 1.875m versions of the fairing. - most other parts can be Tweakscaled, but fairings can't be. The base scales properly, but the fairing sides don't like it.
    1. I can't help with this one as my modding skills are limited to .cfgs right now.

Thanks! @linuxgurugamer!

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Remove 'KW Rocketry' from the beginning of each part name. it's a lot of extra text to scan through and makes it more difficult to find the right parts.

1. I'd be willing to help with this if you like the idea.

That would break every ship out there that uses it.  Not going to happen

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Add 1.875m versions of the fairing. - most other parts can be Tweakscaled, but fairings can't be. The base scales properly, but the fairing sides don't like it.

1. I can't help with this one as my modding skills are limited to .cfgs right now.

If you are referring to the KW Simple Fairing, it's not my mod.

and I don't do 3D modeling, so I'm afraid you're stuck on that, sorry

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

Add 1.875m versions of the fairing. - most other parts can be Tweakscaled, but fairings can't be

This is a config edit: change the scale of the fairing in the MODEL node to 0.9375, adjust the top/bottom node, and then edit some numbers in ModuleProceduralFairing (baseRadius, maxRadius both should be 0.9375 as well).  I've done it before to get KW 1.875m fairings, but it looks like I've misplaced the custom configs, so I can't simply share them right now.  If I find them again, I can put them on DropBox.

9 hours ago, Tyko said:

Remove 'KW Rocketry' from the beginning of each part name. it's a lot of extra text to scan through and makes it more difficult to find the right parts.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That would break every ship out there that uses it.  Not going to happen

I'm not sure what he's talking about to be honest I think some clarification is needed here. He said "name" but I don't think he was referring to the part name in the config file, which would indeed break all existing ships. A quick look at a few config files show names begin with 'kw' and some part titles do too but that's it. The only thing in the part configs that match 'KW Rocketry' are the manufacturer and author, but those don't appear with the title in the VAB - so personally I'm a bit confused here.

50 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm not sure what he's talking about to be honest I think some clarification is needed here. He said "name" but I don't think he was referring to the part name in the config file, which would indeed break all existing ships. A quick look at a few config files show names begin with 'kw' and some part titles do too but that's it. The only thing in the part configs that match 'KW Rocketry' are the manufacturer and author, but those don't appear with the title in the VAB - so personally I'm a bit confused here.

Right! I used the wrong nomenclature...not the name, the title. Most of the fuel tanks and engines (maybe all) plus many other parts all have a title starting with 'KW Rocketry'

TechRequired = generalRocketry
    entryCost = 3600
    cost = 1200
    category = Engine
    subcategory = 0
    title = KW Rocketry WildCat-V
    manufacturer = KW Rocketry
    description = This is the Tier I workhorse. It has the thrust to power your light launch vehicles reliably and efficiently.

Edited by Tyko

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thanks, I'll add them to KW

LOL...I just spent my evening making the 1.875m variants only to come on here and see that @MOARdV had already shared some. I did a quick comparison and I think the only visible difference is that the version of the 1.875 Expanded you added has a gap between the top of the base and the bottom of the fairing. I fixed that in the version I'm sharing. I also included a 1.875m decoupler variant.

Here's my Dropbox

I'm taking a closer look at the scaling setting @MOARdV used and it's different than my approach...frankly I've never entirely understood the relationship between using the 3 different scale options, so I'm not sure if the way I did it is 'right' even if it does appear to work.

• scale within the MODEL {}
  • rescalefactor
  • scale as applied to the part outside of the MODEL {}

EDIT: Looking at both closely, all you really need to do is update the fairing pivot point of the posted 1.875 Expanded as highlighted below. This gets rid of the gap.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleProceduralFairing

nSides = 48
        nArcs = 3
        TextureURL = KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWFairingBase/fairings_diff_KWWhite

panelGrouping = 1
        pivot = 0,.98,0
        axis = 0,1,0

Edited by Tyko

New release, 3.2.4.1

• Fixed gap in 1.875 expanded fairing
  • Changed bulkhead profile for 1.875 expanded fairing from size1 to size1p5

Thanks to @MOARdV for the initial files, thanks to @Tyko for noticing the gap and the fix for it.

Note that @MOARdV's file included crossfeed, since the other fairings didn't have it, I removed that and updated  te title and descriptions

7 hours ago, Tyko said:

Right! I used the wrong nomenclature...not the name, the title. Most of the fuel tanks and engines (maybe all) plus many other parts all have a title starting with 'KW Rocketry'

Ok, that makes more sense.

Which means that I have 48 files to edit :-(

52 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

he said he'd help so let him do it :)

Yeah. I’m happy to do it. I have time to work on it tonight...I'll see if I can get them all done

@cyberpunkdreams KW Rocketry will still be on the manufacturer line. This will keep an easy way to spot the parts or search for them :) . 

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Yeah. I’m happy to do it. I have time to work on it tonight...I'll see if I can get them all done

@cyberpunkdreams KW Rocketry will still be on the manufacturer line. This will keep an easy way to spot the parts or search for them :) . 

My only objection to completely removing any reference to "KW Rocketry" from the title is that it means that the parts aren't grouped together in the default VAB panels.  Why not something shorter, like "KWR" instead, such as "KWR SB-2 LFT"?

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

Dont do it until I decide what to cjangw them to.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

My only objection to completely removing any reference to "KW Rocketry" from the title is that it means that the parts aren't grouped together in the default VAB panels.  Why not something shorter, like "KWR" instead, such as "KWR SB-2 LFT"?

I would suggest using Filter Extensions, and/orJanitor's Closet.

and, stock already has a way to look at parts from a particular mod

34 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Understood. I'll not start until you let me know what you want.

Ok, I've been thinking about this, and here is what I came up with:

Do it as a large MM patch, to update the title for each part.  For the prefix, use:   KW-R

This way it can be both ways, for people who like it the current way, and for people who want it shortened. 

In your patch, please update ALL the parts, I'm pretty sure that some parts don't have KW Rocketry at the beginning of the title.

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I've been thinking about this, and here is what I came up with:

Do it as a large MM patch, to update the title for each part.  For the prefix, use:   KW-R

This way it can be both ways, for people who like it the current way, and for people who want it shortened. 

In your patch, please update ALL the parts, I'm pretty sure that some parts don't have KW Rocketry at the beginning of the title.

Okay, I'll take a shot at it tonight  :)  That's a great idea...it'll be a lot easier to QC a single patch rather than touching every part.

Edited by Tyko

48 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It should be KWRocketry, which is the name of the directory it's in

Got it! The MM config is complete. I've also included a 1.875m version of the decoupler to go along with the new fairings.

The 2 configs are in my Dropbox

I found two cases where two parts' original titles were identical to each other. The Size 1 and Size 2 Pancake tanks shared names with SA-1 LFT and SB-1 LFT. In the case of the Size 3, the Pancake was titled SC-3 LFT. Since there was no number 3 for the smaller sizes I used '3' for them as well.

1. KW1mtankPancake changed to SA-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake
  2. KW2mtankPancake changed to SB-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Got it! The MM config is complete. I've also included a 1.875m version of the decoupler to go along with the new fairings.

The 2 configs are in my Dropbox

I found two cases where two parts' original titles were identical to each other. The Size 1 and Size 2 Pancake tanks shared names with SA-1 LFT and SB-1 LFT. In the case of the Size 3, the Pancake was titled SC-3 LFT. Since there was no number 3 for the smaller sizes I used '3' for them as well.

1. KW1mtankPancake changed to SA-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake
  2. KW2mtankPancake changed to SB-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake

That's great, I'll update the titles in those two tanks as well.  Most likely they were just copied from the first and updated.

And I'll add the decoupler to the mod as well

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just one thing, you totally removed the KW from the title.  I'm going to make a second one and just add KW-R to the beginning of all the titles, for those people who just the generic sorting to keep the parts together

Edited by linuxgurugamer

8 hours ago, Tyko said:
  • KW1mtankPancake changed to SA-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake
  • KW2mtankPancake changed to SB-3 LFT - matches nomenclature for size 3 version of pancake

Was just looking at this, it's going to have to change.

Let me explain:

While not universal, this is the naming convention the original authors used (I think):

SA-1    used for (originally 1m) 1.25m tanks
SB-2    used for (originally 2m) 2.5m tanks
SC-3    used for (originally 3m) 3.75m tanks

followed by the fuel type.  I think that whoever added the pancake tanks just followed it, but missed the fact that there was already a tank with that name.

So, what I'm going to do is rename the pancake tanks as follows:

KW1mtankPancake     SA-1-S LFT Short
KW2mtankPancake     SB-2-S LFT Short
KW3mtankPancake     SC-3-S LFT Short

I do see that if I want to eventually update the mod with 1.875 tanks, I'll have to be a little creative

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.