The Legendary Spitfire (Stock)

You're joking. I was going to suggest a Camel on your Vickers Vimy post jokingly, (I thought it was too small to fit a decent engine in) but you've actually made one, and it's incredible. All hail the First World War Spitfire! Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves... 

First World War Spitfire!

Spitfire

This gave me the idea, thanks to MiffedStarfish for indirectly giving me the idea for this replica!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As with my other forum posts, I credit MajorJim for creating the bearing I require to even think about building these replicas, check it out here! Also, big thanks to whoever designed the modification that allows you to use RCS thrusters as ball bearings. (Please tell me who made it as I want to credit them) Klond and Azimech for developing the RCS bearing. (Thank you qzgy for telling me who developed the technologies)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I assume you don't need any information on want the Spitfire is, so let's get right into the showcase! But just before I show my replica, here's the real deal here:

VVws8Wd.jpg

And to compare, here's photos of the replica I made here:

0dcN8MY.jpg

M2fsKOz.jpg

1dNecpR.jpg

Instructions

1: Press space to decouple the propeller from the main craft.

2: Turn on SAS on the main craft (NOT THE PROPELLER)

3: Switch to the propeller 

4: Hold down Alt+E until the Roll bar in the bottom left is completely to the left.\

5: Switch back to the main craft

6: Don't touch the controls, and it should take off when it gets to 20m/s.

7: Fly like normal, but be gentle when it comes to dives. Don't exceed 70m/s.

Top Speed: 56m/s (may differ with altitude)

Top Speed (In Dive): 70m/s (before propeller breaks)

Takeoff Speed: 20m/s

Download (HERE)

Modified version by Azimech (which is lightyears better than mine) (HERE)

(Don't mind the name, that's because I've made nine editions of the plane experimenting on which amount of reaction wheels work best, and the ninth worked the best.)

Hope you enjoy the craft! Any suggestions (Direct or indirect) would be great! The Spitfire was a bit of a challenge, but I managed to create it. Sorry for not posting for so long, I've just been slacking. 

Edited by HolidayTheDouche

Pretty neat replica. Electric engine, yeah? The wing might be on the wide side...

Also, about the RCS bearing - that's thanks to klond and azimech. Klond I believe made the original RCS ball in a thermometer cage, Azimech has developed variants into many other things.

Edited by qzgy

48 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Pretty neat replica. Electric engine, yeah? The wing might be on the wide side...

Also, about the RCS bearing - that's thanks to klond and azimech. Klond I believe made the original RCS ball in a thermometer cage, Azimech has developed variants into many other things.

Thanks for informing me! Also, yeah, I agree, the wing is on the wide side.

5 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Oh my god. That is amazing. I am in shock. I am actually emotional right now. Thank you. TOTM.

Edit: I might be being extremely idiotic here, but doesnt the spitfire have 4 propeller blades, not 3?

Depends on the version. Early versions had 3 blades, later versions 4 or 5.

It's a beautiful plane!

Some nitpicking:

• The angle of the windscreen is a bit too low, extending it further towards the nose than the real one.
  • With some offset tweaking, you could create the canopy bulge above the pilot.
  • The horizontal stabilizer is too large and has the wrong shape. You could replace the non moving parts with elevons type 2 or 3 and set control authority to zero. Attach the moving parts directly to the tail and use offset.
  • To prevent engine/propeller disintegration above 70m/s, adjust propeller pitch during flight. It also helps to have an engine speed readout, install V.O.I.D. to see this info in a HUD on your screen, in rad/s. The max speed any rotating part can have in KSP is 50 rad/s, if you're experiencing failure below this speed it most likely means your engine experiences vibrations due to incorrect bearing clearance.

Edit: I just downloaded it and see the following:

• All your control surfaces have not been specified i.e. rudder also controlling roll and pitch etc.
  • Front landing gear has steering enabled.
  • I just had to take something like ten reaction wheels offline before taking off. A good plane flies without the aid of reaction wheels ;-)
  • Those reaction wheels really limit the performance, it makes the plane much heavier than needed. Also, the drag is huge.
  • Top speed seems to be around 62m/s in level flight with the engine running at 43.5rad/s, @1500m. Adjusting the prop pitch really helps.
  • Engine vibrations really start above 42.5rad/s, becoming excessive oscillations around 45rad/s.

Edited by Azimech

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

It's a beautiful plane!

Some nitpicking:

• The angle of the windscreen is a bit too low, extending it further towards the nose than the real one.
  • With some offset tweaking, you could create the canopy bulge above the pilot.
  • The horizontal stabilizer is too large and has the wrong shape. You could replace the non moving parts with elevons type 2 or 3 and set control authority to zero. Attach the moving parts directly to the tail and use offset.
  • To prevent engine/propeller disintegration above 70m/s, adjust propeller pitch during flight. It also helps to have an engine speed readout, install V.O.I.D. to see this info in a HUD on your screen, in rad/s. The max speed any rotating part can have in KSP is 50 rad/s, if you're experiencing failure below this speed it most likely means your engine experiences vibrations due to incorrect bearing clearance.

Edit: I just downloaded it and see the following:

• All your control surfaces have not been specified i.e. rudder also controlling roll and pitch etc.
  • Front landing gear has steering enabled.
  • I just had to take something like ten reaction wheels offline before taking off. A good plane flies without the aid of reaction wheels ;-)
  • Those reaction wheels really limit the performance, it makes the plane much heavier than needed. Also, the drag is huge.
  • Top speed seems to be around 62m/s in level flight with the engine running at 43.5rad/s, @1500m. Adjusting the prop pitch really helps.
  • Engine vibrations really start above 42.5rad/s, becoming excessive oscillations around 45rad/s.

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

@HolidayTheDouche I've done some major rework on your plane. It has resulted in a major improvement in both performance and reliability. Let me know if you want it.

lo1FoIU.png

Thanks! I never thought about actually optimising the plane! Most of the reaction wheels were there to save weight, rather than using fuel tanks. To be fair, I should've turned a few of them off and simply just used radiators. Thanks :) I really like seeing what you've done with my plane! 

Also, yeah I wasn't really happy with the tail, but removing the extra wing piece also makes it better.

I'm not much of an engineer, I just like making planes look nice :)

Edited by HolidayTheDouche

Okiedokie, here ya go.

Changelog:

• Engine: relocated parts so the RTG's could be mounted longitudinally.
  • Engine: Changed bearings from solar panels to RCS balls, changed bearing clearance.
  • Engine: original setup was 9 RTG's attached radially to one reaction wheel. This created problems with vibrations. Relocated 8 out of 9, scrapped the last. All RTG's are clipped together in the longitudinal axis. Some more RTG's can be scrapped, the engine doesn't use the power.
  • Airframe: All non-engine reaction wheels are disabled now.
  • Airframe: All control surfaces have a specific function. Roll and yaw have authority set to 150%.
  • Airframe: removed 8 RTG's.
  • Airframe: reduced angle of incidence of the main wing from 4.47 deg. to 2.73 deg.
  • Airframe: rebuilt horizontal stabilizer.
  • Airframe: specified autostruts for key parts.
  • Landing gear: switched friction control from automatic to override with values above 2.0.
  • Landing gear: set main gear angle to 0 deg. inclination and moved backwards. Also disabled steering on main wheels.
  • Propeller: New standard setting: -48. Great for take off and climb. At altitude and when flying level it's best to gradually reduce this to -25.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i3gp4yqibes5c8/AC Spitfire Mk IXA modified.craft?dl=0

I've spent a few hours on this, would you mind if I upload this one to KerbalX, mentioning you as the original creator?

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Okiedokie, here ya go.

Changelog:

• Engine: relocated parts so the RTG's could be mounted longitudinally.
  • Engine: Changed bearings from solar panels to RCS balls, changed bearing clearance.
  • Engine: original setup was 9 RTG's attached radially to one reaction wheel. This created problems with vibrations. Relocated 8 out of 9, scrapped the last. All RTG's are clipped together in the longitudinal axis. Some more RTG's can be scrapped, the engine doesn't use the power.
  • Airframe: All non-engine reaction wheels are disabled now.
  • Airframe: All control surfaces have a specific function. Roll and yaw have authority set to 150%.
  • Airframe: removed 8 RTG's.
  • Airframe: reduced angle of incidence of the main wing from 4.47 deg. to 2.73 deg.
  • Airframe: rebuilt horizontal stabilizer.
  • Airframe: specified autostruts for key parts.
  • Landing gear: switched friction control from automatic to override with values above 2.0.
  • Landing gear: set main gear angle to 0 deg. inclination and moved backwards. Also disabled steering on main wheels.
  • Propeller: New standard setting: -48. Great for take off and climb. At altitude and when flying level it's best to gradually reduce this to -25.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i3gp4yqibes5c8/AC Spitfire Mk IXA modified.craft?dl=0

I've spent a few hours on this, would you mind if I upload this one to KerbalX, mentioning you as the original creator?

I don't mind, that would be great :) Thanks!

After updating my KSP I still have invalid parts on this plane. Something about some thermostatic part.

I am really trying to get an electric prop engine working, I just can't seem to get my head around the spinny thing. Also Azimech's comments are definitely valid, but I think we shouldn't be too harsh. The looks are pretty much there :) Although the shape is a bit crossed between Hurricane and Spitfire I think...

14 hours ago, Andetch said:

After updating my KSP I still have invalid parts on this plane. Something about some thermostatic part.

I am really trying to get an electric prop engine working, I just can't seem to get my head around the spinny thing. Also Azimech's comments are definitely valid, but I think we shouldn't be too harsh. The looks are pretty much there :) Although the shape is a bit crossed between Hurricane and Spitfire I think...

Ah don't worry about being too harsh, if my replica has room for improvement, I'd like to know what I need to do to improve it. I'm not sure what the problem is on your side though, the only mods I have installed are TakeCommand, vessel mover and DMP, which all don't add parts (I might be dumb on that one though). Strange. 

But thanks for the input! My first attempt REALLY looked like some weird crossbreed between a hurricane and a spitfire mixed, though leaning toward the hurricane side. :)

15 hours ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

the only mods I have installed are TakeCommand, vessel mover and DMP, which all don't add parts (I might be dumb on that one though).

It is possible there is something in the parts.... I think it is definitely in the engine, possibly something used to keep it all aligned. I still can't quite get my engines to work, they always end up smashing themselves to bits. So I research and possibly install these mods so I can get a fly (and also reverse-engineer your engine - I like the look of this engine's size and simplicity.

9 hours ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

It is gorgeous...

and so clean.

Nice job.

Thanks for your input!

7 hours ago, Andetch said:

It is possible there is something in the parts.... I think it is definitely in the engine, possibly something used to keep it all aligned. I still can't quite get my engines to work, they always end up smashing themselves to bits. So I research and possibly install these mods so I can get a fly (and also reverse-engineer your engine - I like the look of this engine's size and simplicity.

The engine isn't mine, the original design for the engine (as I said above) is MajorJim's, however I'm using a modification for the desugn (as said above)

These videos here and this video here should fix any problems you may have.

The parts in the engine I have I are thermometers, (I think that may be the "thermostatic" part). Try downloading Azimech's mod of my design also to see if it works. :)

Duh! More reading lessons methinks..... Of course it clearly says that about the engine! Haha

Sadly, my memory isn't sharp enough to remember the exact part name to type it here without writing it down, meh.... But I will research what you have said... and when I finally get my engine running I will let you know.... :D

2 hours ago, Andetch said:

Meh.... Me such an idiot. I was playing on career mode and there was still one science to unlock. Me do a silly.... hahaha 

Now I've double checked instructions time to fly/crash repeatedly. :)

When trying krakentech, it's best to avoid career mode at all. Glad you've worked it out.

On 24/08/2017 at 11:50 PM, Azimech said:

When trying krakentech, it's best to avoid career mode at all. Glad you've worked it out.

I know there is an inherent risk to using this sort of tech on career - however I don't have a developed sandbox game and I do like to see if/how I can get these new craft doing something in my fleet..... Although, again after have re-read what I just typed I can see the massive flaw in that I was trying to fly a Spitfire replica that clearly is not capable of leaving Kerbin unaided and also clearly has no application in career mode other than looking pretty - a job it does very well. Especially how the tail sticks out of the water when you crash short of the runway and don't recover it! 

And here is what happens when you try and go into a loop from 250 metres alt. Quite impressed that the airframe was able to still have some degree of control despite spinning out and facing near prograde/retrograde!

Also, timewarp = BAD, however again the airframe is a great little glider, but you gotta be careful not to be too cocky with keeping the nose up as she will literally fall from the sky..... and even when the remains of the engine are sticking out of the front at a funny angle after the timewarp, and it hits the ground causing the airframe to bounce.... Well, the kerbal inside even survived that!

So whether or not it looks 100% I would say this is a bloody good airframe! It does the Supermarine company very proud, and I was thinking that maybe it looks more similar to a Seafire or Spiteful with the slightly different wing shape - and yes these now litter my space centre.......

Once again, nice job!

vAZ1TEk.png

On 8/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, Andetch said:

And here is what happens when you try and go into a loop from 250 metres alt. Quite impressed that the airframe was able to still have some degree of control despite spinning out and facing near prograde/retrograde!

Also, timewarp = BAD, however again the airframe is a great little glider, but you gotta be careful not to be too cocky with keeping the nose up as she will literally fall from the sky..... and even when the remains of the engine are sticking out of the front at a funny angle after the timewarp, and it hits the ground causing the airframe to bounce.... Well, the kerbal inside even survived that!

So whether or not it looks 100% I would say this is a bloody good airframe! It does the Supermarine company very proud, and I was thinking that maybe it looks more similar to a Seafire or Spiteful with the slightly different wing shape - and yes these now litter my space centre.......

Once again, nice job!

vAZ1TEk.png

Actually, I've made an improved version, I haven't posted it yet, but I've improved the propeller. I hope to post it some time today actually.

I look forward to flyi-crashi-ing them later!

I have been working on asymmetrical PTSO Shuttle designs. I've cracked it :D:D:D Somewhat inspired by my successes in engine-spinny-thingy-majiggy technology from seeing this work. Not got any lift yet, but did succeed in a massive spinning thing... All thanks to this spitfire :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.