Kerbin time versus Earth time

Jacke

Just getting back into KSP after a long time away.  Back then, when Kerbin time was added, I stuck to using Earth time, having a sunrise and a sunset 4 times each per "day".

Now I'm thinking this one through again.  Maybe I should go with Kerbin time.  A "day" would be one day-night cycle.  And 6 hours long, with the hour at least being the same unit with either setting.

But a lot of the time, my focus of attention won't be on Kerbin but elsewhere, often with either much quicker or slower light-dark cycles or continuous light in interplanetary space.  And  I'm more accustom to working with 24-hour days, not 6-hour ones.

So which one do you use, Kerbin time or Earth time?  And why?

Since the only differences are day and year lenght - one hour is still one hour, I see no reason to use earth time. While we could count time using Sols on other planets than Kerbin, but I wouldn't care. If the mission time is 2 years 69 days 4 hours, and current time since the beginning is 6y,34d,2h, I exactly know how many sunrises Gene Kerman saw since the mission started.

(Damn, it's like JPF versus PFJ.... :) )

Thanks for all the comments.  And I welcome more!

There is one sticking point.  Isn't Kerbin's 6-hour rotation its sidereal rotation period, when it realigns with the stars, not with its sun Kerbol.  For Earth, that's (from the link) "...23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.0916 seconds (23.9344699 hours or 0.99726958 mean solar days)."  So it's not even that nice 4-times ratio.

Or was that fixed in some version of KSP?

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

There is one sticking point.  Isn't Kerbin's 6-hour rotation its sidereal rotation period, when it realigns with the stars, not with its sun Kerbol.  For Earth, that's (from the link) "...23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.0916 seconds (23.9344699 hours or 0.99726958 mean solar days)."  So it's not even that nice 4-times ratio.

Or was that fixed in some version of KSP?

It was fixed.  6 hours is now the length of Kerbin's solar day.  It's sidereal period is 5 h, 59m, 9.4s.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:25 PM, regex said:

Earth time, always. That's the way it was and that's the way it will always be. Keeps things in perspective when it takes a little over a year to get to Jool.

Not entirely true. The Earth used to have a 12 hour day and it's slowing a bit every year :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.