List of Essential Mods for 1.6

Zalack

Hey all,

I am a little new to the forums and mods, so I thought I would ask what mods you all would recommend. It would be nice to have a thread where new players can go to look a list up with a brief description of what each does and a little clarification on some of the nomenclature used. For instance, the term "MuMech" pops up a lot, and while I understand it has something to do with MechJeb (which is the first mod I installed and love), I do not always understand the parts and contexts in which it is used

Right now, I have MechJeb, Orbital and Planetary Construction, and Electrical Power (though I cant figure out how to install that one. There are a lot of files in a "source" folder which does not seem to have an equivalent in the KSP folder.)

I am sure there are threads like this already, but as it seems like the community has moved forums, and all of the old links are broken, it might be nice to start fresh with new, unbroken links to current mods.

What I am looking for specifically is solar powered rockets/ion engines, nav lights, rovers (big Trak looks great but doesnt appear to be updated for 1.6 yet), and anything else you guys think improves the KSP experience.

Thanks everyone, hope to hear from you soon.

Happy Launchings,

Zalack

Hi Zalack and welcome to the community :)

I recommend the cart mod by tosh, it adds some really nice rovers, and you can find lots of add-ons in the add-on boards, as for a proper list though, there were some but the speed that new mods appear meant the lists were hard to keep up to date, there's an old one in the KSP Wiki for example.

With the move from Simple Machines to vBulletin, all the old links died, so to find stuff now you need to know it's name and use the search box in the upper right.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by sal_vager

It depends on what you like building.

I'd recommend Damned Aerospace (including Crewtank) and Damned Robotics, Bigtrak (which needs the Cart mod), Katerpillar wheels, HSTW Pontoons and the Truss pack.

I tend to avoid the really enormous mod packs, as they make finding parts in the SPH or VAB like a needle in a haystack!

I hope it is permissable for me to hop in here with a few of my own questions. I've never modded KSP, I prefer to play most of my games as the programmers intended, however the amount of mods available and my computer coming in have started to change my mind.

What does MechJeb do? I do youtuber Szyzyg uses it in his games, but it seems to take all the fun out of actually flying the ship, it seems to be designed to fly the ship at the touch of a button.

Secondly, are their mods that add planets, cities, ect into KSP, or just rocket parts?

Iwishiknew - no this is more like hijacking the tread as it has nothing to do with the original topic, If it is this much off topic look for other threads and if there aren't any similar then you may start your own.

That being said read the mechjeb tutorial here and and just parts and plugins look through the forums and see, some are rather nice and inventive but access to planets or citys requires code that modders have no access to.

Now lets stay on topic

I use Novapunch and KW Rocketry as I like having large part lists and can be more "creative" with my explosio err... I mean rockets

Edited by Navy4422

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.