2017 Eclipse Pictures

qzgy

Seeing as today's the day and how much interest/excitement there is, it would be nice for everyone who is experiencing it to share their pictures of the 2017 Solar Eclipse

Mods: if this needs to moved or merged, do as you wish.

I'm going to image this eclipse as much as I possibly can, including the partial eclipse through a solar filtered telescope at the University of South Carolina. However, since I'll be away until the end of the week with just mobile access, I will not be able to upload any of my images until the weekend. Darn :( 

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I'd cherish that photo if I were you! Next one's in 2045. :o

You can always chase the 2027 2024 one...

Does anyone got videos / pictures of surrounding areas during the eclipse ?

Edited by YNM

No fancy equipment here (NJ USA). I used the clouds, which allowed a few quick glimpses here and there, to filter the few shots I got;
ekpYVKd.jpg

Nature's version of a pin-hole viewer, trees;
aq41IOS.jpg

My own pin-hole viewer, a piece of paper with a hole poked in it with a pen. Worked just fine;
R8UWoNf.jpg

Back in the day (60's), I would use 3 B&W negatives, (2-1/4 square) fully exposed to light and then developed, to view and photograph eclipses. Works fine.

6 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Like what? If you look really close in the one I posted you can see the star regulus. 

Like this :

ex_artifact.png?dl=0

I have seen this effect on at least another photo as well. This was taken during the solar eclipse last year where I live. Taken by my cousin.

Edited by YNM

9 minutes ago, YNM said:

Like this : *snipped*

I have seen this effect on at least another photo as well. This was taken during the solar eclipse last year where I live. Taken by my cousin.

Hmm, sure it is not an effect of the optics ? The green shimmer makes me think its a badly coated lens, like from a tablet or phone cam ... ?

9 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Hmm, sure it is not an effect of the optics ? The green shimmer makes me think its a badly coated lens, like from a tablet or phone cam ... ?

It's from a phone. But I'm confident that the small crescent is from the sun and not from the optics. My uncle took a self-photo with the sun as the background on that day, largely unknowing of the eclipse, and I noticed the same thing appearing.

Edited by YNM

Phones don't have shutters ... it could be a reflection of the inner side of the lens, the coating filtered green out (you know, green is best seen by the human eye and thus must be amplified ;-)), and it's away from the axis because the phone was held slightly tilted during the shot.

But i can be totally wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.