2017 Eclipse Pictures

qzgy

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Like this :

ex_artifact.png?dl=0

I have seen this effect on at least another photo as well. This was taken during the solar eclipse last year where I live. Taken by my cousin.

The image bounces between the camera's lens interfaces internally, altering its apparent projected position while attenuating it enough to not wash out the CCD.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Like this :

ex_artifact.png?dl=0

I have seen this effect on at least another photo as well. This was taken during the solar eclipse last year where I live. Taken by my cousin.

I think I might have seen something similar once or twice.

5 hours ago, YNM said:

Like this :

ex_artifact.png?dl=0

My only photo of the eclipse was taken with a phone and is similar. Will post soon.

I was in Andrews SC and got to see totality. Y'all in the 97% or whatever zones really missed out! Totality is spectacular.

Edited by _Augustus_

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The image bounces between the camera's lens interfaces internally, altering its apparent projected position while attenuating it enough to not wash out the CCD.

Ah, that's an explanation ! It's from a phone though, surely aren't phones only have two glass element (one the focusing lens and the other the cover on the outside, probably the third for the CMOS) ?

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

My only photo of the eclipse was taken with a phone and is similar. Will post soon.

I was in Andrews SC and got to see totality. Y'all in the 97% or whatever zones really missed out! Totality is spectacular.

Well, I should save up and wait for 2023...

I had an interesting way of making a oinhole camera: a pair of binoculars backwards, with the light going in the large end and coming out the small. Shine that on a peice of paper 4-6 feet away and focus, makes a large circle that makes it easy to see where the sun is being bitten. 

Have pictures, will post later!

nBUvkrF.png

hrMRaP1.pngZk79n3x.png

Drove to Kentucky to watch the eclipse - it was like sunset, but the  salmon pink of it all could be seen from all directions. I didn't get to see any planets, unfortunately, but I saw the diamond ring effect. Come to think of it, these eclipses are a pretty effective way to point out that the sun is in fact white, and not yellow.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

23 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Zk79n3x.png

I didn't get to see any planets, unfortunately, but I saw the diamond ring effect.

The star Regulus is visible in your own picture though! Several much dimmer stars are also discernible.

23 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Come to think of it, these eclipses are a pretty effective way to point out that the sun is in fact white, and not yellow.

I was quite surprised when I took off my orange-tinted eclipse glasses to see how white the corona really is.

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

The star Regulus is visible in your own picture though! Several much dimmer stars are also discernible.

I was quite surprised when I took off my orange-tinted eclipse glasses to see how white the corona really is.

Oh wow! I didn't notice it, but I'm assuming the blue smudge to the left is it, right?

5 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Oh wow! I didn't notice it, but I'm assuming the blue smudge to the left is it, right?

Yes, the smudge is Regulus. I did not see it while I was in the shadow, but I saw a bunch of other cool stuff.

Edited by cubinator

Serious question, cuz there are smart people here (mods move this if you must):

Is there like... a table anywhere, comparing the light levels during the eclipse to what it might look like on another planet?

Like, 90% totality, this is what Ceres would look like, etc. 

I was really surprised how much of the sun was covered before I could notice any drop in ambient light. 

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Serious question, cuz there are smart people here (mods move this if you must):

Is there like... a table anywhere, comparing the light levels during the eclipse to what it might look like on another planet?

Like, 90% totality, this is what Ceres would look like, etc. 

I was really surprised how much of the sun was covered before I could notice any drop in ambient light. 

Not really, and here's why. About a third of the sun's incident light is scattered by Earth's atmosphere. We see this as the blue of the sky, because higher-wavelength light is scattered most sharply. If you've ever been near the bottom of a large parking garage or any other structure where a thin sliver of the sky is visible, you can sometimes see the blue skyshine coming down onto your hands independent of the redder direct sunlight.

The sky acts a little like one of the big parabolic reflectors that photographers use with professional flash systems. So, even if the moon is blocking 80-90% of the sunlight directly above you, you're still able to see hundreds of miles of sky, which scatters sunlight in every direction. This scattering is one of the reasons why there's very little apparent drop in ambient light.

Finally, the amount of light you see is largely dependent on the sun's interaction with our atmosphere, so there's not really a good analogue to other planets because they do not have the same atmosphere as our own.

8 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:
The promised pictures! Just before totality!

Whoa, that is fantastic! Really impressive job. I would not have thought of doing that, but the magnification is impressive.

I was surprised by how clear an image I was able to get (up to 3" across) just by using my thumb and forefinger as a camera obscura.

10 hours ago, YNM said:

Ah, that's an explanation ! It's from a phone though, surely aren't phones only have two glass element (one the focusing lens and the other the cover on the outside, probably the third for the CMOS) ?

Even a single pane of glass can produce this sort of aberration, since you can have reflections internal to the piece of glass. Any place where you have a boundary between air and glass, you can have reflections.

17 hours ago, YNM said:

You mean April 2024?

16 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I had an interesting way of making a oinhole camera: a pair of binoculars backwards, with the light going in the large end and coming out the small. Shine that on a peice of paper 4-6 feet away and focus, makes a large circle that makes it easy to see where the sun is being bitten. 

Have pictures, will post later!

That's not backwards, and it is a well-known method of viewing the sun called projection. I would be careful doing it with binoculars though as they have cement holding in their prisms, which may melt from the heat.

14 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think it's because the eclipse is a relatively slow and gradual process, so our eyes adapt to the lower light levels. I found it interesting that shadows became far lower in contrast to the ground as more of the Sun was eclipsed.

10 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

On 8/22/2017 at 8:45 AM, YNM said:

You mean April 2024?

Read again where I live in...

8 hours ago, LordFerret said:

... a spaghetti strainer (colander) provides a whole slew of eclipses...
ZBkpYGU.jpg

Now THAT's smart.

Own picture.Or dads.

1JAfxbG.jpg

Taken from near Madisonville Tennessee. That little star speck is regulus from what I've heard?

Edited by qzgy

from greenwood south carolina. The speck Is regulus. Solar prominence are sort of visible in the picture.

945K4ZR.jpg

And here Is one of my many pictures of partial

kehTubu.jpg

And here is an extremely crude GIF of all the pictures of partial I took

Please do not open if you are prone to seizures caused by flashing images.

Edited by Dooz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.