2017 Eclipse Pictures

qzgy

On 8/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Yup, that speck is regulus

Actually looked with my dad on a simulated planetarium today. Roughly estimating distances and stuff, we actually believe it to be eta leo. Regulus is much closer to the sun, and likely hidden by the corona.

Could be wrong though.

Edited by qzgy

YAIIG8a.jpg

Taken by a member of the group I was with.

Technical specs of the shot, for those curious:

This is a composite image made up 19 exposures taken roughly 4 minutes apart.

·         Partial Eclipse: 18x shots at f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO 100

·         Total Eclipse and Foreground: 1x shot at f/2.8 ,1/10s, ISO 100

Here's my photo of the "diamond ring" effect, 1 or 2 seconds before totality. You can just make out Regulus in the lower right of the image, about 2 solar diameters away:

nRE7q7w.jpg

As I mentioned in the Astro Imaging thread over in the Science sub-forum, I took all of my eclipse photos (including this one) by using a script in a program called "Eclipse Orchestrator" to control my camera during totality. I obtained the exposure settings for the script in advance from a table on Fred Espenak's (a.k.a Mr. Eclipse's) web page. I also used a GPS and time synchronization tool to set my computer's position and time to within a few metres and milliseconds of actual. This allowed the script to capture phenomena at each end of totality, as well as a two 12-stop exposure sequences during totality.

1 hour ago, PakledHostage said:

I took all of my eclipse photos (including this one) by using a script in a program called "Eclipse Orchestrator" to control my camera during totality...

Heh. And here I was, flarping about through the whole thing trying to find a long enough USB cable and re-downloading Canon camera tools. :confused: 

never did get either one to work...

Just found this thanks to the TTOM.  I thought I'd post a few of my pictures.

Our primary viewing apparatus.

ioUDyXv.jpg

Peak eclipse for Tyler, Texas.

u4dK7n8.jpg

I work for a company that makes electronic test equipment.  This is one of my coworkers using a DAQ (Data Acquisition) product we make (it's inside the tin can, the box is just shade for the computer screen) that has a light sensor on it to graph the eclipse.  Sadly, I never obtained a picture of the graph, but it was a near perfect sine wave with the exception of spikes caused by clouds.  He was also attempting to graph the temperature with the sensor on the device, but there was a flaw in the setup... the black car radiated more heat than the shining sun.  A lesson for 7 years from now when we are in the path of totality.

GkmLSPf.jpg

Howdy All-

Been gone a while doing other things.  Came to this topic looking for news on how my Houston-area friends fared during Harvey and saw this thread. I figure I captured more images of the eclipse than NASA so I figured I'd share some of the better ones :)

How did I get so many images?  Simple.  Each little shaft of light that penetrates overhead tree leaves creates a camera obscura image of the eclipse above on the ground below.  Thus, if you're standing under trees, you see THOUSANDS of images of the eclipse at your feet and you can get them all in 1 photo  :D.  I think this is totally cool, 1 natural phenomenon being enhanced by another.  So next time you're in an eclipse, look down, not up.

Anyway, I live in Lousy Anna where the eclipse was 80%.  It didn't get dark enough to notice but you could maybe fool yourself that it might have just barely dimmed a bit.  However, the temperature dropped about 10^F and everybody noticed that.  Here are my pics taken at the max of the eclipse.

First, we have a pic that's mostly bright with a few camera obscura images outlining some outlying branches from the main tree mass, so you can tell what's going on.

36755345595_2787116326_b.jpgEclipse 04 Small by TheBullethead, on Flickr

And then we have all its glory under a porous tree canopy.  I use this pic as my wallpaper at present.  This one's at full res so you can't appreciate it unless you download it.

36814301982_ce6f0de682_z.jpgDesktop Eclipse 2017 by TheBullethead, on Flickr

Edited by Geschosskopf

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:10 AM, UnionPacific1983WP said:

Hey everyone. I got to witness a very rare event today: the total solar eclipse that has been hyped up for months. I got a few pictures, this is the best one I can post before I get home from said eclipse.oNx4YoR.jpg

Thats looking amazing.

Cool pics and videos :o

Here is a couple of pictures my parents took in Wyoming, I wasn't there unfortunately. They processed the pictures, centered them and sent them to me, then I whooped up a video with the whole sequence.

You can even see some lunar surface details, like the main seas! (I've highlighted them for easier identification).

Hardware used:

• Fisheye Samyang 8 mm for the general image with landscape ;
  • Nikkor 300 mm lens for the detailed images of the eclipse ;
  • Lotsa elbow grease.

Edited by SnakyLeVrai

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.