AI has just composed a song!

daniel l.

(It's very long, I recommend watching it when you don't have much load for about an hour or more, much more.)

So what is a song ?

Does things spewn out by this contraption counts ?

Edited by YNM

Worried? Why would we be worried? Will this program write a sci-fi trilogy that will be enjoyable to read? Will it come with an original, genuinely funny joke? Will it make a sancastle or spend an hour playing with a puppy? Writing a song according to parameters set by a human does not make a program an Artificial Intelligence.

Edited by Scotius

Articles that have the term "AI" in the title are almost guaranteed to be making any achievement whatsoever sound like either the end of days or the singularity itself.

They didnt just walk into a studio and announce "Computer? Make us some music!".

There is a YUGE disconnect between what the general public thinks an "AI" is and what a computer scientist considers to be "AI".

AI is as old as computer programs, probably older.

People haven't even agreed on a definition of intelligence, so it is quite easy to call a program artificially intelligent without being called on that.

And since Johann Sebastian Bach music(*) actually follows mathematics, so the base for putting this in the hands circuits of machines is preset.

As Scotius says: as long the computer doesn't get up and cook a meal, has fun on the beach with a friend, ponders over a programming problem, composes music, repairs a broken bookshelf one after the other on a single day there is in my eyes not that much intelligence involved.

@Deddly, seeing the Basic code reminded me of Eliza :-)

(*)except for Scottish bagpipes. They are weapons of war :-)

Edited by Green Baron
blabla

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

As Scotius says: as long the computer doesn't get up and cook a meal, has fun on the beach with a friend, ponders over a programming problem, composes music, repairs a broken bookshelf one after the other on a single day there is in my eyes not that much intelligence involved.

Jeeze...Im not even sure I can do that...in one day? What about if its over a weekend?

Not sure, does it write the music from scratch or combines samples.

Punk-O-Matic flash game has a random button to generate punk music for you.

Spoiler

(Of course, you can "create" it manually, too, collecting the sample sequence on the timeline.)

Click Options to remove the background music, click Help for help.

Can't give a link, as flash game sites contain commercial rubbish, but it can be easily googled.
Punk-O-Matic 2 looks more complicated and contains harsh language.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Confused Scientist said:

A computer wrote a Christmas song last winter... It's been described as "haunting" and "chilling". An excerpt: "I've always been there for the rest of our lives... a fairy tale, there are lots and lots and lots and lots of flowers."

More coherent than a baboon, but not coherent enough to be threatening. We're safe for now.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:50 PM, Green Baron said:

Granted. We'll adapt the intelligence definition accordingly.

What would you need help with ? Cooking, the friend on the beach, programming, bookshelf ...

Sorry, just a joke :-)

Motivation. If the AI could handle the cooking, programming and bookshelf whilst I chill on the beach, Id be much happier :wink:

Perhaps that is the sign of intelligence - when given a task, an AI says "No I dont feel like it."

On 21/08/2017 at 6:08 PM, Scotius said:

Worried? Why would we be worried?

Maybe the AI writes Sci-Fi novel with extremely detailed and plausible plans on how to destroy humankind and let the 'Artificial' take over our planet and the rest of humanity. Maybe it writes a propaganda song against humanity?

Seriously though, its unlikely that will happend, as far as i know, there has been no case of AI-against humans so far, so there should be no reason to be worried right now.

There has been no case of AI - period :) How can we theorise about behavior of something we don't even know how to create? Or if it's even possible to create one. So far everything that've been said is philosophical waxing, pure science - fiction and a whole lot of anthropocentrism and plain xenophobia.

Not comparable to human intelligence. The ability and will to learn just for the cause of learning lacks. At the moment when a machine is able to decide to learn something it has not been programmed for i will revoke and admit artificial intelligence exists.

Programmers of certain companies will probably object and call their respective creations "intelligent" but that's only possible because there is no common definition of "intelligence".

On 8/21/2017 at 6:32 PM, p1t1o said:

Articles that have the term "AI" in the title are almost guaranteed to be making any achievement whatsoever sound like either the end of days or the singularity itself.

They didnt just walk into a studio and announce "Computer? Make us some music!".

"OK Computer... make us some music. And try to write some different lyrics than the ones about people with radios for their heads."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.