KSP Eclipises

wumpus

I remember a Scott Manley video (collaboration station, if I recall) when Scott mentions he is launching during an eclipse.  I thought that was pretty cool, but rare enough not to care about.  Then I looked at today's xkcd comic and realized that for stock KSP (where *everything* is on the elliptic, and KSC is on the Equator), eclipses should happen at KSC every month.

Anybody seen an eclipse at KSC?  Is my physics wrong?  Does anybody make a point at launching during an eclipse?

Yep... seen plenty at KSC and even more in orbit.

It actually becomes humdrum after a while, it can even be a bit annoying... about to take a nice screenshot, but there's a big black blob on the planet below, or you wonder why your supply of solar power suddenly disappeared :D

Edited by purpleivan

I had an entire tourist trip die on the way back from Mun because Kerbin eclipsed Kerbol and I ran out of power (I was using Kerbalism which requires electricity to run heaters or air conditioning).

Edited by kraden

Yep. There is an eclipse somewhere on Kerbin every orbit of the Mun (- 1 per year), since the Mun's orbit is perfectly equatorial. I've gotten used to the in-game ones by now.  I haven't ever really made a point of launching during an eclipse, but it has happened on occasion.

(off topic)

Unfortunately I have my first day of class for the semester right during the time that there will be the greatest coverage (of the real eclipse) in my area. Though it is a physics class, so I'm kind of hoping the professor will say "come! Let's watch physics in action!" and take us outside with eclipse glasses to see it.

Update:

good news: professor did exactly what I hoped

Bad news: weather said no just as we were about 5 minutes from max coverage

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Yay and aww

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.