[1.7] - Tracking Lights

Trolllception

About

This is a new version of the old 'Launch Pad Lamp' mod I had previously released.  This new version is closer to what I had originally intended when I started this mod 2 years ago as it now includes the tracking functionality.

Features

• Spotlight can track the active vessel or current target
  • Tracking can be disabled or enabled per light
  • Light parameters can be modified in flight via the right click action menu (color, spotlight cone angle, intensity, range)
  • New emissive animation for the Launch Spotlight
  • Updated materials to use KSP mapped shader
  • New M.T.S. LED tracking spotlight (smaller LED version intended for use on crafts or for docking assistance)

Note:  The intensity and range values allow for some extreme values.  The intention is these lights could be used for ambient lighting around a base or by lighting up distant terrain. 

Download Link

Download Tracking Lights 1.0

Screenshots

Imgur Album

GitHub

https://github.com/droric/TrackingLights

License

This work is shared under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.

Edited by Trolllception
Mod updated with new name and new content

Very nice mod!  Found it via KottabosGames review on YouTube.

Just wondering if this mod is hosted on GitHub?  If not, would you consider doing so, as a public repository?  I'd really like to get it submitted to CKAN so everyone can enjoy it, and that's the easiest way to maintain (and update) it for everyone involved.  I suspect that if you're competent to write the mod, you already know about GitHub, but if not, PM me and I'll help you out with the process and do all the work to get this wonderful gem into CKAN.

Regards,

Me

6 hours ago, Leo_G. said:

Very nice mod!  Found it via KottabosGames review on YouTube.

Just wondering if this mod is hosted on GitHub?  If not, would you consider doing so, as a public repository?  I'd really like to get it submitted to CKAN so everyone can enjoy it, and that's the easiest way to maintain (and update) it for everyone involved.  I suspect that if you're competent to write the mod, you already know about GitHub, but if not, PM me and I'll help you out with the process and do all the work to get this wonderful gem into CKAN.

Regards,

Me

PM Sent.  Lets get this on CKAN.  Makes it easier for me to add it to my installs anyways as I am an avid CKAN fan.

12 hours ago, Trolllception said:

Lets get this on CKAN.  Makes it easier for me to add it to my installs anyways as I am an avid CKAN fan.

Any chance to get it hosted on SpaceDock.info, for those of us who do manual installs instead of CKAN?

Not sure how it works, but i beleive SpaceDock has CKAN integration, so if opted in during initial publication, I think CKAN gets automagically updated when an update is also posted on SD... vOv

This looks cool.  I like the idea of a portable spotlight.  Do you have plans, or is there even a way, to have it rotate on it's own once placed?  When I saw this on Kotobos, my first thought was that this would be amazing as the rotating spotlights that you see on Air Traffic Control towers.  

Really neat mod.  Can't wait to see the rest of what your doing with this.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just installed this mod and will begin testing it shortly.

A long time ago, (in a galaxy far, far away) there was a searchlight by @BahamutoD that was able to track the mouse movement or a target vessel. That would be nice to implement here as that mod was last updated for 1.0.5 (also contained a nice six legged crawler). A tracking searchlight would be a great addition to any vehicle working in the dark.

Edited by Ursu Mare
removed useless words :P

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2017 at 5:57 AM, Ursu Mare said:

A long time ago, (in a galaxy far, far away) there was a searchlight by @BahamutoD that was able to track the mouse movement or a target vessel. That would be nice to implement here as that mod was last updated for 1.0.5 (also contained a nice six legged crawler). A tracking searchlight would be a great addition to any vehicle working in the dark.

This is currently in development.  I installed KSP 1.6.1 again and within 2 hours I had the itch to start nodding again.  Also a good opportunity to practice my C# skills I've been learning.  I have my spotlight tracking but I need to work out some more specifics to the plugin.  I may create some additional smaller spotlights.

Edited by Trolllception

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2019 at 6:52 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

@Trolllception hope you don't mind, submitted several minor patches via PR. :)

Thanks for the PR!   I have gone ahead and merged your changes in with some minor formatting changes to the files.  I may wait until the weekend is over to push another release since I will probably do some more play testing to see if there are any additional changes I want to make.  I was considering adding the ability for the Spotlight to track the mouse cursor as it was suggested previously.

Edit:  A little delayed with getting a new update pushed out.  I've had a couple weddings to attend recently so my weekends have been busy.

Edited by Trolllception

13 minutes ago, Trolllception said:

Thanks for the PR!   I have gone ahead and merged your changes in with some minor formatting changes to the files.  I may wait until the weekend is over to push another release since I will probably do some more play testing to see if there are any additional changes I want to make.  I was considering adding the ability for the Spotlight to track the mouse cursor as it was suggested previously.

You are welcome. Hopefully they help and are correct.

mouse tracking sounds fun. :)

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi. I use these parts a lot - thank you for making them! I'm using them in 1.12 with no issues, in case anyone checks in to see if they're working.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to externally MM patch the MTS such that the Target could be toggled via an action? I'm shaky on MM syntax, and totally ignorant about how actions become visible in the VAB, but am hoping it's something that can be done with a patch and wouldn't need a plugin change.

Any advice appreciated!

47 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm wondering if it would be possible to externally MM patch the MTS such that the Target could be toggled via an action? I'm shaky on MM syntax, and totally ignorant about how actions become visible in the VAB, but am hoping it's something that can be done with a patch and wouldn't need a plugin change.

How so? They already follow active target. You mean you want to switch tracking to a target that is *not* the current target vessel?

Looking at these, i wonder if it would be easy for someone to modify/use the code, for use with CommNet/RemoteTech antennas? Doesnt look like theres an awful lot of code..??

@TaxiService ??
EDIT: ALSO, it seems @linuxgurugamer  has continued this mod.His new thread here:

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

You mean you want to switch tracking to a target that is *not* the current target vessel?

The PAW has "Target: " that toggles between Active Vessel and Current Target. I'm hoping for an action to toggle that.

Oh whoops - the thread. Good catch, thanks. 

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.