Your Craziest Mishap During a Mission

aceassasin

I had just finished three days of sending supplies to my space station using the Orbital Construction mod so I decided to launch a very large station towards the mun. My station sat on the launchpad for about three seconds, dissapeared, got torn to pieces by baby krakens (It says this occasionally happens on the mod site) and ended up at an altitude of 120 trillion meters and achieved about a quarter of light speed.

After about thirty minutes of making and testing space planes, I finally had one that actually worked. I got bored of it, so I just started crashing it into things and ripping the wings off etc.

I decided it would be a good idea to throttle all the way up and send my poor Kerbal out on EVA in the middle of the runway to see if it would take off by itself.

Needless to say, he hit the ground and died. However, the camera view stayed fixed on the space plane and I was able to control it without a pilot.

Probably one of the coolest glitches I've had in KSP for a while.

Orbital miscaculation

While i was building rockets to orbit kerbin and train in orbital mechanics (first rockets)... at the end of the training session i had an eccentric orbit and just a tiny bit of fuel left the big booster stage, less than a 1 sec full burn with 4 small engines, so I decided to finish the fuel before attempting to deorbit with the small thruster attached to the capsule. Unfortunately the small burn put me in a direct course to the mun with just the right speed and timing to have a decaying orbit. Since my capsule was lacking in landing capability and i had no idea what i was doing my pilot was the first kerbin on the mun albeit in a million pieces! :)

I landed a 3 manned lander near a mountain range on the mun and decided to go eva bill thougt it would be a good idea to jump off the lander when bill hit the lander leg sending the ship flipping in the air (No air on the Mun) until it hit the ground and knocked the capsule off

My craziest was during a simple milk run to Mun, testing an old design I'd used in 0.15, rebuilt into 0.16. The main stage had six stacks symmetrically around a central one, with fuel feeding towards the center. Well, I'm sitting in Kerbal orbit, with just vapors in 6 tank stacks, waiting for Munrise at 0 throttle. Munrise occurs, and I punch the throttle, and sure enough, not 3 seconds later, I'm officially carrying 6 deadweight engines. No matter, the central engine will get me and the landing stage to the Mun, so I stage seperate. Except, my central engine was in the wrong stage, and I watch bemusedly as the stacks I just ejected split off, at almost zero relative velocity. Well, being the clever pilot I am, I decide to turn on my RCS, get a dozen meters clear of the debris, then resume my Munar burn. Except, I hit "d" instead of "e", and bam, right into the very debris I'm trying to avoid.

In the new, larger 3-manned capsule I had stuck an advanced S.A.S module on top, with the parachute on top of that. Needless to say, after a lengthy orbit bill, jeb, and bob were coming home. All went well until the chute opened fully, at which point my little kerbs was left hurtling toward the surface, while the S.A.S module floated to safety.

This happend when i was on a trip to minmus and had made it into an elliptical orbit that reached out to minmus altitude. And naturaly i missed it, I activated warp and hoped that i would hit it next time. But some how this is where it went wrong.

During the many flings around kerbin i hit the Mun's SOI and must have directly hit my ISA mapsat that was in polar orbit mapping it.. It ended up in a very wide eliptical orbit around kerbin...so that is one mission i will have to do again......... Great!!!!

I had a rocket ready to go to the Mun, had tested it over a distance, and knew enough fuel was available, as well as what to jettison when and whatnot. I launched successfully, and just sat back and waited for it to hit the height I needed to go into orbit. 6 minutes after launch, whilst happily flying round the dark side of Kerbin and moving at close to 3000m/s, I smashed straight into my space station, which utterly destroyed the Mun craft, knocked most of the right hand (and most important) side off the station and sent the entire thing smashing down upon Kerbin airfield.

I couldn't stop laughing for about 20 minutes, and then I realised how much time I had spent putting that station in perfect orbit, ragequit, and went to eat ice cream.

I was testing out moon orbiting and decided i could go land because i had enough fuel, i came crashing down to the surface at about 400 ms and quickly fired my engines, they exploded and my capsule flew up out of the moons gravity and is now in orbit around the sun. I am currently planning a rescue mission.

I'm still waiting for a disaster fun enough to post here. :D But here's something that happened a while back that made me stop and stare at the screen for a while...

Back in 0.14 or so, I was testing an incredibly stripped-down Mun lander that was barely able to make it into Kerbin orbit, let alone touch down on the Mun. Nonetheless, I squeezed out enough delta-v to come in on a near-vertical descent trajectory. A few thousand meters above the ground, I noticed that my lander was tilted a little too far off retrograde. "No matter," I thought. "Just gotta tilt a little..."

Unfortunately, the pod's SAS couldn't resist my inputs very well, and I was somehow on 2x warp without my knowing. Therefore, I was flying towards the Mun sideways, with every keypress turning me exactly 180 degrees. The old gang didn't make it out of that one.

...And from that day forward, I have always built my landers absolutely gigantic, with enough SAS to keep a Saturn V steady.

After a stressful landing of my fuel station on the mun, a massive fuel storage for use with the fuel transfer mod, I switched to my craft that was bringing my refuel rover. Launched it and switched back to the mun fuel station. Forgot my joystick throttle lever was on full throttle causing a catastrophic launch of the station that resulted in the death of the pilot, one on a EVA mission (poor guy didnt see it coming) and the complete destruction of the station. Luckily the other on EVA survived and was picked up by the refuel rover with room for transporting Kerbals. The rover and spare pilot are still waiting for a resupply/ rescue.

I was performing my first crew rescue via EVA in 0.16, and I'd rendezvoused in orbit around the mun, to plan. Transferred the crew, to plan. Everything was fine, the new astronaut was safe aboard the three man capsule, everything was good. Until I had to burn prograde to return to kerbin, obviously.

What happened was, I went to map view to align for my return burn, and waited until I was in a good position, then fired the engines prograde.

What I did forget about, however, was the abandoned capsule that I had rescued the astronaut from.

Sure enough, the rescue ship slammed into it at quite a high speed, which broke the parachute, and separated the pod decoupler from the fuel tank. This meant I no longer had engine control. The engine, now firing full throttle uncontrolled, was pushing the pod all over the place. I managed to wrestle the pod off it just as it began to point retrograde, and my orbit began to get smaller.

As it pulled free, I changed focus to the debris, and followed it until it ran out of fuel. Which it didn't do, because it slammed into the mun at high speed.

The crew survived, but it was lucky they got off that rogue engine when they did, because if they hadn't, they'd have been on a one-way trip to the surface of the mun.

Most of you probably had that scenario.. Landing back in the days when landing legs were made our of rubber..

-My 1st Mun lander finally there, excited as hell.. and slowly descending..

-Not enough fuel to get home, but no problem..

-Slowly descending >5m/s 100m from the surface.. slightly on a clif..

-Sweating like a pack of pigs.. and Bam i land.. for a second..

-Then the legs kick in and the entire 4-5t craft dose a Backflip and lands back on its legs..

:P

Edited by Atimed

I was testing a design I had for an interstallar craft, attempting to launch this craft into orbit.

fV1AK.png

Unfortunately, when I got to about 2000m altitude this happened.

kkMtS.png

However, by some happy turn of fate my upper landing stage was unneffected and I was able to safely parachute down while the rest of my rocket crashed and exploded into the ground below!

JtOP7.jpg

jwfIo.png

My least worst mishap would be clipping the tower and losing a wing. My most epic mishap yet happened in the same launch, having clipped the tower i got into very low orbit with one of my fuel tanks overheating for some reason. I thought that if i ejected one segment of fuel tanks and the engine it was attached to i would still be able to use the others to continue my journey. I was wrong, so very, very wrong.

Things would have been fine, had i have kept SAS activated. Seconds later, and i'm plummeting back toward the planet, the rocket spinning everywhich way. I then remembered that this was a two stage rocket, and still had the second stage in one piece, so i activate the second stage rockets, hoping this would slow me down.

Wrong! I manage to detach the engines, still loaded with fuel. My parachute, (which seems to have a mind of its own) picks this very moment to activate, slowing me down just enough to pull me away from the plummeting second stage.

Having figured out camera controls by now, i tilt the camera down. This gives me a lovely view of my landing site, just in time to see the jettisoned stages slam into the peak and the slope of a very steep mountain.

What happens next I hear you ask? My crew lands serenely in what would have been in real life two large, and very toxic craters due to the amount of rocket fuel.

Story over? No, not yet. The crew module lands, and I find out that the module can roll about. "Great, i can roll back to the launchpad" I think.

Nope, things aren't that simple. The module aims itself down the steepest possible section of mountain, and three very dizzy Kerbals become three very dizzy and three very drowned Kerbals as the module decides that enough is enough and rolls into the ocean.

And that is my best flight to date.

Stupidest mishap: landing on the Mun, straight up. Feeling like a king, I jetpacked around for a while, then realized I had zero fuel to get back to my capsule (the rocket was quite high), and had forgotten to put ladders. Had to activate the Dumbass Protocol and organize a rescue mission to get both the rocket and the Kerbonaut back to safety.

Craziest mishap involves a failed probing mission to the Mun surface, realizing I was way too low, way too fast and initiating a reverse burn. Didn't crash, but didn't have any fuel left. Hey at least I got on orbit... Around the sun...

Still no idea how I'll get these guys back home.

I made a big plane today, so big it could barely get off the ground, so I stuck to the adagium "moar boosters"

and stuck two SRB's to the front. The idea was to use them just to get some forward, and some upward speed, so as to get airborne,

and then ditch them before the plane flipped over due to the offset of the boosters.

So, sure enough, they got the plane airborne, and at an approximatly 90 degree angle I decoupled them.

Sure enough one clipped the hull and broke it in two, resulting in the brave kerbonauts tumbling to their demise in half a plane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.