Kerbals having different hairstyles or facial features

I know that there are mods that can change your Kerbal's look, but wouldn't it be nice to be a stock addition? Pretty soon people are going to get a bit bored of the same green face with black hair, and the same spacesuit, so why not incorporate a feature where Kerbals have random hair colours or facial features (like TextureReplacer)? I know that it isn't really far up on the list of 'most important', but it would be nice to see Kerbals with different looks for a change. Thoughts on this?

43 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Yeah, that would be a good idea! I mostly ignore the Kerbals because they are so boring, sprinkle a little bit of unique in there and you got my head pointed at it again!

42 minutes ago, pandaman said:

That would be a welcome addition for me too.

Texture Replacer. This will allow you to customize your Kermen. I still use this version and it works well enough in 1.3 towards the end, there are some private fixes listed that can be use until the problems with the TextureReplacer Replaced mod is straightened out.

16 hours ago, RatchetinSpace said:

I've been playing this game for 5 years and I'm still not even close sick of kerbal faces, especially when they're plummeting to their inevitable doom.

This.

I know there is support for this, and maybe if a dev in the future gets bored, but I think it should remain in the realm of a mod. 

Historically, this is the way it has been, and I hope forever shall be.  What once was on the devs to do list, kept getting pushed back and back, so it became part of the games lore.  There are whole theories on the origins of the Kerbals that require them to be genetic clones of each other, and other such stuff. 

One of the appeals of the game is that aside from the starting 4, the rest are identical, and therefore, basically expendable.  It would just hurt even more if you are playing a perma-death game, and you happened to get attached to one of your explosion fodder guinea pigs test pilots, and they don't survive a mission.  

I try not to think of my Kerbals as 'expendable' and an option to have more varied appearances would help with that.

I could even have 'matching' crews to help distinguish between missions :D.  Beards to survey Dres, mohicans to Moho, redheads to Duna...

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:

This.

I know there is support for this, and maybe if a dev in the future gets bored, but I think it should remain in the realm of a mod. 

Historically, this is the way it has been, and I hope forever shall be.  What once was on the devs to do list, kept getting pushed back and back, so it became part of the games lore.  There are whole theories on the origins of the Kerbals that require them to be genetic clones of each other, and other such stuff. 

One of the appeals of the game is that aside from the starting 4, the rest are identical, and therefore, basically expendable.  It would just hurt even more if you are playing a perma-death game, and you happened to get attached to one of your explosion fodder guinea pigs test pilots, and they don't survive a mission.  

And there are probably just as many theories that don't. So why not flip that around and make distinguishable kerbals the default, with a mod to make them into clones if you're playing permadeath or would otherwise get too attached to them?

Keeping something just 'because it's always been done that way' is rarely a good reason in my opinion. See also 'getting rid of the souposphere', 'female kerbals' and many other previous bones of contention on this forum that barely raise an eyebrow these days.

Just because something has always been, doesn't mean it should stay that way. 

I'm not really opposed to the idea, I just like it the way it is lol. 

I'd rather see the devs work on other issues first, but as far as reasonable suggestions go, I can't argue (too hard) for this one not ending up on the to do list.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.