[1.3.1, 1.4.5] Planet Patches for Principia

Scotskerb

Hi. I found this amazing mod that generates n-body orbital mechanics known as Principia, by @eggrobin. Even the planets work with the new mechanics, knocking each other's orbits around in a quite interesting fashion, the same way it's done in real life. It even reworks the Jool system to make sure the moons don't go completely out of whack.

The problem is, it only seems to work with stock KSP. There are many planet packs out there which do not get reworked for compatibility with this mod. What I am doing with Planet Patches is adding a patch for each planet mod I come across that has unstable orbits with Principia, repositioning the unstable bodies to make them stable.

Modified Planet Packs:

Spoiler

New Horizons

Repositioned Bodies:

Aptur - in a very high orbit around Eeloo

Astid - in a medium orbit around Eeloo

Ete - in a very high orbit around Eeloo

Moho - in a high orbit around Eve

Outer Planets Mod (OPM)

Repositioned Bodies:

Ovok - In a high retrograde orbit around Sarnus, where it has frequent close encounters with Tekto

Other Worlds

Repositioned Bodies:

C2-1 - In a high retrograde orbit around Pequar, and renamed C3-3

C3-1 - In a high retrograde orbit around Pequar, and renamed C3-2

Kevari - In a medium orbit around Nienna

Niko - In an ever-so-slightly-less-eccentric-but-still-pretty-darn-eccentric orbit around Nienna

Crons - In a high prograde orbit around Cercani

Planned Planet Packs:

I am open to requests. In fact, I plan on building this entire thing on requests

Requests I will not take:

• Half-baked mods - what I mean here is, mods that are so in-development that they can't even work properly on their own. For example, if the SOIs are insanely sized in a way that completely messes up one's ability to travel.
  • Kopernicus mods from before KSP 1.2.2 - sorry, but the earliest KSP version for Principia is 1.2.2, and I really can't go back further than that, unless the mod does work on 1.2.2 or above.

Other than that, I hope to take every single request that I can!

Download - Github

Edited by Scotskerb

18 hours ago, nanomage said:

This is awesome (though probably quite difficult to fix in a non-ivasive way)

if you are interested in OPM, their Sarnus system is unstable or was unstable a couple of principia versions ago:

Okay. That was, in fact, one of the mods I was already planning to do. Just a warning: there is a good chance that any asteroid moons will end up orbiting different bodies entirely.

This could take a while, though, due to school and other personal projects, but I hope to be available to do more patches Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Edited by Scotskerb

3 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Okay. That was, in fact, one of the mods I was already planning to do. Just a warning: there is a good chance that any asteroid moons will end up orbiting different bodies entirely.

This could take a while, though, due to school and other personal projects, but I hope to be available to do more patches Friday or Saturday at the latest.

As far as i understood from the discussion in principia thread, It's quite difficult to hunt for stable sets of initial conditions when dealing with toy-sized planetary systems (such as the kerbalised gas giant systems tend to be).

The only things that come to mind and might be worth trying quickly before shipping unstable moons to orbit another body are that

a- resonant orbits are more likely to be stable if they never allow the bodies to closely approach

b- retrograde orbits (relatively to the more massive perturber, like bop is made retrograde relative to tylo in principia) are more likely to be be stable  

in the sarnus example, Ovok has large oscillations of eccentricity, maybe because it's close to a resonance with massive Eeeloo ( 29 435/57 905 = 0.50833)

Edited by nanomage

15 minutes ago, nanomage said:

As far as i understood from the discussion in principia thread, It's quite difficult to hunt for stable sets of initial conditions when dealing with toy-sized planetary systems (such as the kerbalised gas giant systems tend to be).

The only things that come to mind and might be worth trying quickly before shipping unstable moons to orbit another body are that

a- resonant orbits are more likely to be stable if they never allow the bodies to closely approach

b- retrograde orbits (relatively to the more massive perturber, like bop is made retrograde relative to tylo in principia) are more likely to be be stable  

in the sarnus example, Ovok has large oscillations of eccentricity, maybe because it's close to a resonance with massive Eeeloo ( 29 435/57 905 = 0.50833)

I will think about that. However, I am satisfied with the way that I set up the patch for New Horizons, so I don't think I'm going to change what I did with that one (I might edit Aptur's science multiplier, though).

• 3 weeks later...

I uploaded a new version of the mod just now. Again, I apologize deeply for the huge delay. I was dealing with some technical issues that later turned out to be an error on my part.

We now have the Outer Planets Mod in addition to New Horizons. Please keep posting requests!

Edited by Scotskerb

• 5 months later...

Great work! I am currently using your Principia patches for OPM, I'm still early in the career in this game, so not much going on, but so far it works.

Assuming this mod is still alive (which I hope), I have two questions: 

1) How long in time did you run the simulations to check whether the modified systems were stable?

2) Since you mentioned you are you working on star systems, are you planning to do/working on KSP Interstellar Adventure?

Cheers!

Edited by mbound
make question more reasonable

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 11:55 PM, mbound said:

Great work! I am currently using your Principia patches for OPM, I'm still early in the career in this game, so not much going on, but so far it works.

Assuming this mod is still alive (which I hope), I have two questions: 

1) How long in time did you run the simulations to check whether the modified systems were stable?

2) Since you mentioned you are you working on star systems, are you planning to do/working on KSP Interstellar Adventure?

Cheers!

Tried the OPM Patch too, Sarnus System seems to be stable, but Jool System is unstable again. Did i miss something?

14 minutes ago, Euer_Hochwuergen said:

Tried the OPM Patch too, Sarnus System seems to be stable, but Jool System is unstable again. Did i miss something?

Jool System patch is only applied by principia if no other planet patches are installed

also @Scotskerb, I hope you are making sure to move bodies as little as possible to make them stable, since Im planning to try principia soon and dont want all my stuff to be too much out of alignment.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Jool System patch is only applied by principia if no other planet patches are installed

also @Scotskerb, I hope you are making sure to move bodies as little as possible to make them stable, since Im planning to try principia soon and dont want all my stuff to be too much out of alignment.

ah i see, thx. yeah thats definitly explaining the problem.

but it also doesnt set the inclination of laythe as written in the opm-patch-cfg from scotskerb (still dont know why)

Edit:

I added the Kopernicus cfg from Principia in another cfg and removed the laythe entry from scotskerbs cfg (since i didnt have any effect)

all works now as it should, thx again :)

Edited by Euer_Hochwuergen

Yeah, I can't seem to edit the Jool system myself, and the Principia version of the patch disappears as soon as you add planet packs. There is a mod to make the Jool system more stable, but I would need to find it first.

Edited by Scotskerb

• 3 months later...

Sorry, guys. I haven't worked on this in quite awhile due to other things stealing my attention. I'd really like to get back to it, but I'm currently dealing with college, writing projects, D&D campaigns, etc.. I have not fully abandoned this project, but progress will be slow until I can pour more of my time into KSP.

P.S. I am well aware that the patch for the Jool System only works with no other planet packs. I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the configs in such a way that the changes will actually be applied (the normal config format doesn't work for some reason).

• 7 months later...

I've recently stumbled upon Principia, and I'm impressed by your efforts to make other planet pack play nice!

May I give a gentle *bump* to the request for "The World Beyond" planet pack please?

It's quite a large pack, but it's so far away from Kerbol that it shouldn't impact the system much.

• 5 months later...

Hi !

I have a little technical question about Principia.

I trie to make it work on KSRSS or SSRSS (I want play on a real solar system size 2.5) (I couldn't instal RSS 2.5, I don't know why it doesn't work)

When I delete the planets which are note supported by principia I can launch the game without crash and I have the good principia interface.

But since a rocket lift off, it instantanly explode due to too high G.

Since Principia work on RSS I guess there is no reason to don't make it work on SSRSS or KSRSS...

Anyone could help me on this problem ? 

Thanks for your help ^^ 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.