Can't change part name? [1.3]

Hi,

I've been trying to make a mod that replicates the Epstein Drive from The Expanse. Right now I'm just editing the mainsail engine, and it works great - except for one problem. Editing the Name, Manufacturer and Description in th config file does nothing ingame. Anyone know how to fix this?

2 hours ago, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

Hi,

I've been trying to make a mod that replicates the Epstein Drive from The Expanse. Right now I'm just editing the mainsail engine, and it works great - except for one problem. Editing the Name, Manufacturer and Description in th config file does nothing ingame. Anyone know how to fix this?

Probably localization at work

Ok, so here is your problem:

This is from the file:

title = #autoLOC_500445 //#autoLOC_500445 = RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501637 //#autoLOC_501637 = Rockomax Conglomerate
	description = #autoLOC_500446 //#autoLOC_500446 = A monster of an engine for heavy lifting purposes, the Mainsail's power rivals that of entire small nations.

Anything following the two slashes is a comment.  So what is really there is:

title = #autoLOC_500445 
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501637 
	description = #autoLOC_500446 

Those strange autoLOC tags are localization tags, and reference strings elsewhere

What you want to do is this:

title = My Title Here 
	manufacturer = My Manufacturer 
	description = This is my new description 

2 hours ago, thekspbegginer said:

Don't!

Why did you say this?  This is someone trying to be creative, and is using this part to learn.  Change the values as I described will not hurt the game at all

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so here is your problem:

This is from the file:

title = #autoLOC_500445 //#autoLOC_500445 = RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501637 //#autoLOC_501637 = Rockomax Conglomerate
	description = #autoLOC_500446 //#autoLOC_500446 = A monster of an engine for heavy lifting purposes, the Mainsail's power rivals that of entire small nations.

Anything following the two slashes is a comment.  So what is really there is:

title = #autoLOC_500445 
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501637 
	description = #autoLOC_500446 

Those strange autoLOC tags are localization tags, and reference strings elsewhere

What you want to do is this:

title = My Title Here 
	manufacturer = My Manufacturer 
	description = This is my new description 

Why did you say this?  This is someone trying to be creative, and is using this part to learn.  Change the values as I described will not hurt the game at all

Thank you so much! It's working as intended now. I might release it if I can get the balance right...

Hi

Don't change the file in the squad directory, make a copy of it with modulemanager. 

@Module[liquidEngine1-2]
{
	@name = MyNewEngine
	@description = fell of the back of a competitors rocket
	@title = A second hand engine
	@manufacturer = South end scrap

}

take a look at this page https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Handbook

for descriptions on how to do stuff. 

9 hours ago, genericeventhandler said:

@Module[liquidEngine1-2] { @name = MyNewEngine @description = fell of the back of a competitors rocket @title = A second hand engine @manufacturer = South end scrap }

That would be like this 

+PART[liquidEngine1-2]
{
	@name = MyNewEngine
	@description = fell of the back of a competitors rocket
	@title = A second hand engine
	@manufacturer = South end scrap

}

Instead of forcing everyone to install ModuleManager if they want to use your mod, I have the following procedure:

1. Make a folder inside GameData with the name of your mod (or if you plan to create multiple, choose a manufacturer name and make a folder, then the mod folder).
  2. Copy the part.cfg of the engine you wish to modify and place the copy inside your mod folder.
  3. Include a MODEL segment with the correct path. If you don't know how, I'll post an example when I get home.

On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, Azimech said:

Instead of forcing everyone to install ModuleManager if they want to use your mod, I have the following procedure:

1. Make a folder inside GameData with the name of your mod (or if you plan to create multiple, choose a manufacturer name and make a folder, then the mod folder).
  2. Copy the part.cfg of the engine you wish to modify and place the copy inside your mod folder.
  3. Include a MODEL segment with the correct path. If you don't know how, I'll post an example when I get home.

And then when the original part is updated, for any number of reasons, your copy won't be updated.

I don't understand your dislike of MM.  It's used by many mods, and works very well in integrating various patches.  Why not use something which most people will have anyway?

Also, copying the cfg file can violate copyrigh, if you are copying, for example, a stock config.  MM eliminates this problem

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And then when the original part is updated, for any number of reasons, your copy won't be updated.

I don't understand your dislike of MM.  It's used by many mods, and works very well in integrating various patches.  Why not use something which most people will have anyway?

Also, copying the cfg file can violate copyrigh, if you are copying, for example, a stock config.  MM eliminates this problem

The only thing I use is the template of the original configuration, and I don't want my version to be updated whenever an update arrives. I sometimes only use the original model and/or FX but specify this in the license and give credits.

Has worked so far and without any complaints, I'm not really interested in learning MM's syntax. The extent of modifications I usually do could be seen as an elaborate MM config file by itself. I think it's weird a MM config could grow to be larger than a part configuration, if one properly uses the MM syntax.

If a MM file is bigger than the original config, then either it is being abused, or it's compensating for a lot of mods.

KW Rocketry used to have patches upon patches before I merged them all.  The nice thing is that it worked, and different people were able to do little updates for various issues.

And I wasn't criticizing, was just commenting.  It sounds like you have reasonable reasons to do it that way.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:48 AM, genericeventhandler said:

@MeCrippthe error was intentional ;-)

WHY?

On 8/27/2017 at 10:44 AM, Azimech said:

Alright, how do I make a model path? Could I just drag+drop the model files in the mainsail directory?

1 hour ago, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

WHY?

Alright, how do I make a model path? Could I just drag+drop the model files in the mainsail directory?

Because you learn from doing, not from copying. 

Module manager is referenced from where you did the copy from +PART [$name$],  so you are creating a psudeo element in the same directory as the original part .

you can't copy SQUAD assets into another directory and distribute it, or most any other mod. But using module manager gets around this, because you are not redistributing anything. 

1 hour ago, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

WHY?

Example, add this segment to your own engine configuration. In my own example I've turned the ion engine into a destructive proton cannon with 3km range.

MODEL
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Engine/ionEngine/model // Always write the name without extension.
		scale = 1,2,1 // The size and shape of your model. Standard is nearly always is 1,1,1.
	}

This works regardless where you put your own file in GameData. And no MM needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.