hrJ7Xxu.png

The Eve mission had been planned for months, but Jeb blew up most of the KSC's fuel tanks in a joyride test flight. However, the tiny Oscar B fuel tanks intended for probes survived. Now you must build an Eve lander that only uses Oscar B fuel tanks.

Rules:

• A lander must land on Eve's surface and safely return a Kerbal to Kerbin.
    • External command seats are allowed.
  • The only fuel tanks allowed on the lander are Oscar B tanks. No srb's or monoprop tanks allowed on the lander.
    • Oscar B fuel tanks are not required to transport the lander to Eve. See the scoring section for more info.
  • Any engine is allowed except for srb's and monoprop engines on the lander. Yes, this means you can put a Mammoth engine under an Oscar B tank if you really want to.
  • If you can, please attempt doing this without an ISRU.
  • You must use at least 100% re-entry heating.
  • No excessive part clipping.
  • Multiple launches are allowed but please include them in your mission report.
  • Any mods used must be listed in your mission report.
  • Please include either a list of images (imgur album) or a video of your mission. Include the craft's mass etc. in the vab, launches, major burns, etc.
  • I shouldn't need to say this, but no cheating/f12 for infinite fuel/hyperedit. Hyperedit is allowed for testing purposes but not in the final mission.

Mods Allowed:

• Any informational mods (Kerbal Engineer Redux, Mechjeb, Trajectories, Nano Gagues, Transfer Window Planner, etc.)
  • Any visual mods (Environmental Visual Enhancements, Scatterer, Planetshine, Distant Object, Various skyboxes, etc.)
  • Certain miscellaneous mods (Chatterer, [X] Science, etc.)

Mods Disallowed:

• Mods that add parts (except Kerbal Engineer Redux and Mechjeb)
  • Mods that edit the physics, atmosphere, gravity, etc.
  • Using cheat mods such as hyperedit during the mission.

Be careful! Oscar B landers can have very high part counts! 

Scoring:

You will be scored by the following levels:

• Level 1: 
    • Transport 1 or more Kerbals to Eve's surface and return the Kerbals to Kerbin. Oscar B tanks are only used on the lander. Non-Oscar B tanks are used in the launcher and transfer stage to get the lander to Eve.
  • Level 2:
    • Transport 1 or more Kerbals to Eve's surface and return the Kerbals to Kerbin. Oscar B tanks are used on the lander and on the transfer stage to get the lander to Eve.
  • Level 3:
    • Transport 1 or more Kerbals to Eve's surface and return the Kerbals to Kerbin. Oscar B tanks are used throughout the entire mission and no other fuel tanks are used.
  • Level 4:
    • Impress me! Expand on this challenge and do the seemingly impossible! Some examples: Extremely low mass/cost, unique design, or building an SSTO. (Building an Oscar B Eve SSTO is probably impossible but if you manage to do so you are amazing.)

Leaderboards:

Level 1:

•  

Level 2:

Level 3:

•  

Level 4:

•  

I would love to see your entries in the comments below!

Edited by Nucleartaxi

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Really? Mind showing us then?

Sure, I've been working on a video over the past few days and will upload it when it's finished. Only the lander uses oscar B tanks, not the transfer stage, so it would only be a level 1. It's about 250 parts.

@Nucleartaxi

I've got my lander and my transfer vehicle worked up. Was going to build an Oscar-B-fueled RAPIER-based SSTO to get the thing into orbit, but after repeated attempts I haven't been able to get it off the ground, so I'll just go for Level 2 and drop a regular LV underneath it.

My current attempt:

Spoiler

screenshot4.png

The actual ascent vehicle was pretty easy, honestly.

15 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

@Nucleartaxi

I've got my lander and my transfer vehicle worked up. Was going to build an Oscar-B-fueled RAPIER-based SSTO to get the thing into orbit, but after repeated attempts I haven't been able to get it off the ground, so I'll just go for Level 2 and drop a regular LV underneath it.

My current attempt:

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot4.png

The actual ascent vehicle was pretty easy, honestly.

Make sure to include pictures from all parts of the mission. Very impressive! When making mine I had trouble getting it to fly straight during reentry to land on Eve.

1 minute ago, Nucleartaxi said:

Make sure to include pictures from all parts of the mission. Very impressive! When making mine I had trouble getting it to fly straight during reentry to land on Eve.

Yeah, that's just the screenshot of the failed SSTO attempt. I'm going with something closer to an SLS now.

10 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

Interesting challenge. Am I allowed to use tweakscale to scale down vector- and aerospike engines? They are pretty much the only engines that work on EVE.

I'm sorry, but tweakscale isn't allowed for this challenge. You don't actually need to scale them down, I stuck the full size aerospike on the bottom of my Oscar B lander. 

Proof of concept: 20.75 tonne Eve Ascent Vehicle, 68 parts, Oscar-B fuel tanks only. It's actually rather overpowered.

screenshot0.png

Landed (yes, I used the debug menu to get here, so sue me). Note part count and mass.

screenshot1.png

Dropped my drop tanks on the ground because I'm overpowered enough as it is.

screenshot2.png

Liftoff!

screenshot4.png

Staging off the vectors.

screenshot5.png

The sustainer basically just maintains fights drag for a while.

screenshot7.png

Finally high enough to start accelerating a little.

screenshot8.png

Turning over now that I actually can.

screenshot9.png

Should probably throttle down soon.

screenshot12.png

Starting to get heat on the fairing.

screenshot14.png

Through the bulk of the atmosphere, finally.

screenshot16.png

Burning off the rest of my fuel!

screenshot18.png

Fairing separation and staging!

screenshot19.png

High enough that the atmosphere doesn't bother Val.

screenshot20.png

Plenty of time to circularize.

screenshot23.png

That does it! And with half my terminal-stage fuel to spare, no less.

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Proof of concept: 20.75 tonne Eve Ascent Vehicle, 68 parts, Oscar-B fuel tanks only. It's actually rather overpowered.

So cute and small.

I might have to borrow this design.....

In case anyone wants to make testing easier, I used Tweakscale and the debug menu to figure out what isp the various rocket engines have. Observe:

screenshot4.png

Thrust is not correct, since I used Tweakscale, but Specific Impulse is correct, and with a little math you can use that to get the correct thrust.

Also, note that the RCS thruster (not shown) has an Eve SL isp of 8.6 seconds. In other words, nothing.

45 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

In case anyone wants to make testing easier, I used Tweakscale and the debug menu to figure out what isp the various rocket engines have.

Ant:		0s,	0kN
Terrier:	0s,	0kN
Nerv:		0s,	0kN
Poodle:		0s,	0.001kN
Rhino:		0s,	0.006kN
Swivel:		48.4s,	32kN
Skipper:	57.3s,	116kN
Twitch:		83.7s,	4.6kN
Reliant:	88.1s,	68kN
Spark:		88.9s,	5.5kN
Spider:		114s,	0.78kN
RAPIER:		139s,	82kN
Thud:		139s,	54kN
Mainsail:	147s,	715kN
Vector:		193s,	613kN
Mammoth:	193s,	2,453kN
Dart:		230s,	121kN

Due to a rounding error, some of the engines have zero isp.

But, I got the correct thrust with no extra effort.

Edited by icantmakemodels

46 minutes ago, icantmakemodels said:

Ant:		0s,	0kN
Terrier:	0s,	0kN
Nerv:		0s,	0kN
Poodle:		0s,	0.001kN
Rhino:		0s,	0.006kN
Swivel:		48.4s,	32kN
Skipper:	57.3s,	116kN
Twitch:		83.7s,	4.6kN
Reliant:	88.1s,	68kN
Spark:		88.9s,	5.5kN
Spider:		114s,	0.78kN
RAPIER:		139s,	82kN
Thud:		139s,	54kN
Mainsail:	147s,	715kN
Vector:		193s,	613kN
Mammoth:	193s,	2,453kN
Dart:		230s,	121kN

Due to a rounding error, some of the engines have zero isp.

But, I got the correct thrust with no extra effort.

Well, thanks. Those of us without KER salute you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.