UomoCapra

Hello everyone!

We're happy to announce the launch of the Public Pre-release of Update 1.3.1.

This ‘pre-release’ test build is for everyone to have a go before we officially release the update, and you’ll be able to opt-in to get the Pre-release builds via the Steam betas and through the KSP Store for those who bought the game there. Naturally, you’ll need to own a copy of the game beforehand in order to access these builds. This opt-in branch will run for a minimum of two full weeks before the release date of the final update (the final release date hasn’t been closed, so changes may occur).

Here's a link to the changelog wiki for further details.

To facilitate discussions of the Pre-release branch we’ll be opening up a temporary sub-forum for feedback. Additionally, a Pre-release project has been made available on the bug tracker to report bugs on.

Remember that reporting a problem on the forum does not count as a bug report, unfortunately. We rely on a particular format and certain information that allows us to get to the problem as quickly as possible. So if you choose to help out, please read the wiki on the bug tracker where a guide to reporting bugs can be found. Attached logs are most important, and instructions detailing where these can be found on your platform are also in our wiki.

Thank you and happy launchings!

Edited by Ghostii_Space
updating the link to changelog for 1.3.1

Here's the list of changes from the readme:

ChangeLog:
=================================== v1.3.1 PreRelease==================================================
+++ Localization
* Localization Texts updated.
* KSPedia Localization texts and graphics updated.
* Fixed KerbNet localization strings.
* Fixed Number and time displays for localization.
* Fixed Lingoona library for Ubuntu Linux.
* Localization Performance improvements.
* Fixed localization of Tutorials and Scenarios.
* Fixed localization of planet names in Science Reports.
* Resource names on Mining contracts localized.
* Removed lingoona Gender tags on Biome filters in RnD archives screen.

+++ Enhancements
* Default setting for NavBall in Mapmode (default is not to autohide).
* Default throttle setting to 0%.
* Added ability to tweak endpoints of symmetry struts and fuel lines.
* Improvements to symmetry tweaking in the editor scenes.
* Added game clock to all KSC Facility Menus.
* Game clock in all screens now shows the time in Gray when time is paused.
* Added action groups for wheel motors and wheel steering.
* Added the shadow fade fix from KSC scene to the editor scenes.
* Changed the near clipping pane on game camera so it doesn’t clip when zoomed in as much.
* Added ‘Control from here’ to External Seat.
* Added action group for ‘Control from here’ to ModuleCommand and ModuleDockingNode, External Seat and Grapple.
* Exclude wheels from part recovery contracts as some are too hard to grapple.

+++ Bug fixes
* Fixed the deploy/retract actions not showing for drills on custom action groups.
* Fixed UT/MET display in flight.
* Fixed control command persistence when changing to map view.
* Fixed delta time Part Thermal Flux calculations.
* Timewarp indicator in all screens now shows no green arrows when time is paused.
* Fixed MK3 size 2 adapter collider.
* Fixed issue with compound parts inside fairings causing launched vessels to explode.
* Changed Settings UI text alignments to be centered.
* Fixed texture on VAB level 3 floor near the outer door.
* FIxed the tweakable end of compound parts not getting mirrored when moved.
* Fixed an incorrect text when a station contract gets completed.
* Fixed the toggles in the UI at the Main Menu stretching as much as they could.
* Fixed Flag on Sentinel Telescope Icon in VAB/SPH.
* Fixed Sun (stepping) movement in Flight whilst retaining sun shadows fix.
* Fixed opacity issue in editor scenes for unconnected parts.
* Jetpack translation is no longer affected when an EVA Kerbal’s PAW is open and being dragged.
* Kerbals can no longer EVA from inside fairings (but can from interstage fairings) to avoid exploding vessels.
* Fixed quicksaveload dialog when enter is used in the filename input box.
* Fixed Grab interaction msg for EVA kerbals when ladders are retracted.
* Fixed NREs on craft thumbnail creation - added filename sanitizing.
* Fixed Part highlighting in VAB/SPH interacting with Light Animations on parts.
* Fixed destructible building on Tracking Station Level 2 dish.
* Fixed Part highlighting for new and dropped parts in VAB/SPH.
* Replaced TrackIR with new implementation.
* Fixed Flight camera issues when active vessel crashes into the ground.
* Fixed Destructible Building error messages in log.
* Fixed vessel ground collision checks for landed vessels coming off rails (includes recovery contract parts that are landed).
* Disable Save on PauseMenu when active vessel is dead to avoid invalid save files.
* Shadow tweak on buildings in KSC scene.
* Fixed issue with being able to add maneuver nodes to vessels without control.
* Removed ability to create maneuver nodes with EVA Kerbals.
* Fixed an issue where an atmospheric resource harvester would not properly activate.
* Fixed Loading Scene picture swapping feature.
* Fixed Grass texture on level 3 RnD building.
* Fixed MPL cleaning experiments screen messages.
* Fixed Restart Warning text on main Settings Screen.
* Fixed Cannot Deploy while stowed messages.
* Fixed "Toggle Display" button on scientific devices.

+++ Modding
* Restored CelestialBody.theName methods (marked as deprecated).
* Fixed Part Filter category names capitalization for mods.
* Added property to CustomParameterUI to support Localization.
* ModuleDeployablePart now finds all animations.
* CelestialBody GetRelSurfacePosition now calling correct methods.

* Changed the near clipping pane on game camera so it doesn’t clip when zoomed in as much.

Holy Kerbals!

1 hour ago, SamBelanger said:

I have a question, is what the pre-1.3.1 (1.3.1) looks alot like the 1.3.0?

1.3.1 fixes a number of small bugs present in 1.3.0 and doesn't add too much more so it should look and feel a lot like 1.3.0. Other than behaving better that is :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

31 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Holy Kerbals! I might have to drop Spectra and see this for myself!

may not need that Scatterer setting anymore either...

Fixed destructible building on Tracking Station Level 2 dish

Anyone know what this references? Does this mean if a dish is hit the whole TS goes down?

Edited by Drew Kerman

I see several changes that sound like they'll be very welcome!

• Added action groups for wheel motors and wheel steering.
  • Added ‘Control from here’ to External Seat.
  • Added action group for ‘Control from here’ to ModuleCommand and ModuleDockingNode, External Seat and Grapple.
  • Fixed the deploy/retract actions not showing for drills on custom action groups.
  • Fixed issue with compound parts inside fairings causing launched vessels to explode.
  • Fixed Sun (stepping) movement in Flight whilst retaining sun shadows fix.
  • Fixed vessel ground collision checks for landed vessels coming off rails (includes recovery contract parts that are landed).
  • Fixed Cannot Deploy while stowed messages.

• Added ‘Control from here’ to External Seat.
  • Fixed control command persistence when changing to map view.
  • Added action group for ‘Control from here’ to ModuleCommand and ModuleDockingNode, External Seat and Grapple.

Working on fixing all our control issues, I see.

Oh and Yesh!!  Ahem.. I mean... uhm, oh look, we can now AG to switch command/flight directions... :D

Speaking of AG goodness:

• Added action groups for wheel motors and wheel steering.

Thank you. Not to sound ungrateful, but why is the ability to add stuff to action groups not... well, standard, for everything? I'd be very hard pressed to find any particular action on any part that I'd go 'nah, I'd never ever assign that to an AG, I'm good.' Seems like a potential for more simplified coding if this was standard behaviour for all part actions...

• Fixed UT/MET display in flight

Aww, no more end of days timers?

• Added ability to tweak endpoints of symmetry struts and fuel lines.
  • Improvements to symmetry tweaking in the editor scenes.
  • FIxed the tweakable end of compound parts not getting mirrored when moved.

Another battle won on the OSD (obnoxious symmetry deviations), thank you. Although it was becoming a bit of a mini-game in the editor (how many moves to get a completely symmetrical mesh of strut connectors). :sticktongue:

• Fixed opacity issue in editor scenes for unconnected parts.
  • Fixed Part highlighting for new and dropped parts in VAB/SPH.

Were these related? Either way, this should remove a source of confusion for people spending lots of time on complex craft in the editor (is that part offset, or unconnected...?).

Lots of enticements to move to 1.3.1!

Looks like some very cool stuff in this update. I'm especially looking forward to the wheel action groups--I ran into that problem on a rover in 1.2.2: it had two-, four-, and six-wheel drive modes and I was a little surprised that I had to use a mod to use action groups to switch between them.

I do have two questions though:

* Default throttle setting to 0%.

Why? It was one thing to change it from 50% (which was stupid) to 100% (which made sense)--but why change it from 100 to zero? I mean, zero is fine, but 100 is fine too and we're all used to it. Not that it matters to me much, my launch sequence will probably always be T-Z-Spacebar anyway since the days of 50% default throttle, I'm just kind of bewildered by the seemingly arbitrary change.

* Removed ability to create maneuver nodes with EVA Kerbals.

Again, why? I don't recall ever using that ability myself but it sounds really useful in certain situations. Unless it was horribly glitchy or something, why lose it?

Edited by Hotaru

12 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

I mean, zero is fine, but 100 is fine too and we're all used to it.

Pretty much how I feel, but let's not forget it's just a default and still available in the Settings menu for us to change to whatever we personally prefer. The best kind of options!

I do wonder about the EVA maneuver nodes too though.

Why? It was one thing to change it from 50% (which was stupid) to 100% (which made sense)--but why change it from 100 to zero? I mean, zero is fine, but 100 is fine too and we're all used to it. Not that it matters to me much, my launch sequence will probably always be T-Z-Spacebar anyway since the days of 50% default throttle, I'm just kind of bewildered by the seemingly arbitrary change.

The default throttle setting is user definable in settings. This simply makes this zero by default. T-Z-Space will continue to work as ever.

Again, why? I don't recall ever using that ability myself but it sounds really useful in certain situations. Unless it was horribly glitchy or something, why lose it?

You are correct. Glitches be gone!

22 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Speaking of AG goodness:

Thank you. Not to sound ungrateful, but why is the ability to add stuff to action groups not... well, standard, for everything? I'd be very hard pressed to find any particular action on any part that I'd go 'nah, I'd never ever assign that to an AG, I'm good.' Seems like a potential for more simplified coding if this was standard behaviour for all part actions...

Because:
a) Localization requirements.
b) Codes changes required for each.
c) See a) and b)

25 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Looks like some very cool stuff in this update. I'm especially looking forward to the wheel action groups--I ran into that problem on a rover in 1.2.2: it had two-, four-, and six-wheel drive modes and I was a little surprised that I had to use a mod to use action groups to switch between them.

I do have two questions though:

For the throttle, I like it cuz I set mine to zero anyway. I hated the fifty percent because I'd be at 10km before I realized I forgot to punch it. My own fault, obviously, but the default at zero helps remind me. And I don't always launch at 100 percent. This is just personal preference, though.

For EVA Kerbals, they shouldn't be able to use maneuver nodes because they have no screens to look at, so no way to hold course. I agree with removing it.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Because:
a) Localization requirements.
b) Codes changes required for each.
c) See a).

Quick and to the point. It's never easy, is it? Well, I'll just anxiously sift though future change logs for more gradual additions to the AG goodness. Safe to say they'll always be welcome additions.

22 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Kind of makes sense for the new-player learning curve. This way they're forced to realize that there is such a thing as engine throttling and how to use it before they tackle flying in the atmosphere and getting to orbit.

(Similarly to how bad default parachute staging teaches you that staging exists and forces you to interact with it.)

Edited by HebaruSan

7 minutes ago, Squelch said:

The default throttle setting is user definable in settings. This simply makes this zero by default. T-Z-Space will continue to work as ever.

You are correct. Glitches be gone!

Thanks for the answer! I didn't actually know default throttle was user-definable (I thought of checking, but didn't want to wait 10 minutes for the game to load (mods, you know)). Not really complaining so much as just curious why the change was made. @HebaruSan makes a good point about new users being forced to notice the throttle exists, I hadn't thought of that.

4 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

For EVA Kerbals, they shouldn't be able to use maneuver nodes because they have no screens to look at, so know way to hold course. I agree with removing it.

I don't know, maybe they've got a little HUD in their helmets or something. But from what @Squelch says it sounds like the reason is just that it was glitchy (fine with me) so it doesn't matter much whether it was "realistic" or not.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Kind of makes sense for the new-player learning curve. This way they're forced to realize that there is such a thing as engine throttling and how to use it before they tackle flying in the atmosphere and getting to orbit.

Kind of makes sense even for the not-so-new player (maybe me, sometimes, lil bit :blush:).

• finish editing latest contraption
  • go to runway and eagerly hit space as the last of a long semi-subconscious default get-ready-for-launch sequence (engage breaks -when will that be an optional starting default?-, pin resource panel, map view, focus Kerbin, zoom in and rotate to expected ascent path, optionally target Mun to enable the AN/DN indicators, back to flight scene, enable fine controls, enable SAS, max throttle, optionally deploy flaps.... ready? SPACE!)
  • wonder for a second why nothing is happening
  • muttering about the throttle default being wrong and trying 'z' a few times unsuccessfully
  • checking everything for fuel crossfeed/priority issues
  • ...?
  • checking everything for lack of control
  • ...??
  • banging head on desk as I discover I -again!- left all tanks empty because of (re)checking CoM in editor
  • revert to editor to ask for a refill...

Ok, so maybe it's not the throttle setting (as often) anymore :/, but uhm, yeah, maybe some day we get a per-craft pre-configurable 'default ready for launch sequence', if only to save our poor keyboards and mice from a lot of wear and tear during craft development cycles.

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

* Fixed issue with compound parts inside fairings causing launched vessels to explode.

This right here was the bane of my existence to the point where I just stopped using fairings altogether.

So glad this got fixed!