The question that does not die - Can we have another planet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 1:47 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

Oops. :blush: Sorry, I only read half the link. I still think life would be bad for the game, it's a space simulator, not sci-fi fantasy.

[Little late on this, sorry] Not proper space creatures, but grass and trees and stuff. Like Kerbin but only in a small spot around a volcano or something

On 8/24/2017 at 11:38 PM, Greenfire32 said:

I've always found myself ending up in the "let's make what we've got more interesting" camp versus the "moar planetz!" camp.

Sure but in the years that Squad have been saying that have they at all made any planet more interesting. No weather, clouds, environmental hazards, or anything. A few re-textures one of which was a dis-improvement. A new gas giant honestly seems like the only possible thing at this point. And if they were to add more or improve existing planets it would be DLC because the game left Alpha too early, left Beta waaaay to early, and was considered finished because they removed large chunks of the planned features list.

Edited by Spartwo

On 8/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

Why would there be life on a planet completely out the goldilocks zone? And we don't need another planet with nothing to do on it, we need things to do on planets.

We have pretty much all we need with Kerbol's planets.  Grab a mod (your pick, Galileo has a completely different set of planets) if you are tired of what we have.

Now a different *star* (and planet, natch) to visit would be something else.  Of course, this may require another battle with the Kraken, and may have been started and more or less banned by Squad if it showed up.  You may also need a few more ticks on the accelerator panel (and possibly allow low level [read ionic] acceleration while under physicsless acceleration).

11 minutes ago, wumpus said:

We have pretty much all we need with Kerbol's planets

Yeah, I agree.

11 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Now a different *star* (and planet, natch) to visit would be something else

I don't think that it would solve the problem of there being nothing to do on planets. Also KSP is semi realistic, most parts have real life counterparts and things like that, and I don't think interstellar travel would fit in. Also embarking on an interstellar mission would mean all your contracts would have expired by the time you got there.

I don't get this subforum pretty much. Tons of guys and girls posting the same ballpark questions and then titling the topic to that very end and expect to be served?

Also, on another note. Squad has produced ill iterations of their own mod substitutes. It once started with souposphere, and they only changed it to be able to sell it properly while FAR was always the Emperor on top. I always find that mods and those that make it have the proper, workable and realistic substitutes towards those game elements. Probably because they specialize themselves towards one module they make. While Squad has to run, make, sell, advertise and manage a whole company of things.

Why would you want Squad to do this if they've already proven that the aero/astro engineer at the mod section 2 clicks from here has the better alternatives? These are the same guys who wont let you down usually several days after a new ksp release. And they're doing it for free... (I think)

KSP is limited to specified system requirements, something they'd probably go over if they were to implement all the extra basic things you'd only want optionally.

Edited by Helmetman

I'm all in favour of extra and varied planets and moons etc to visit and explore.  Posing different challenges in the process.

BUT...   I do think the current ones should be enhanced first.   More stuff to do, such as natural wonders etc to visit.

On 9/14/2017 at 4:12 PM, Spartwo said:

Sure but in the years that Squad have been saying that have they at all made any planet more interesting. No weather, clouds, environmental hazards, or anything. A few re-textures one of which was a dis-improvement. A new gas giant honestly seems like the only possible thing at this point. And if they were to add more or improve existing planets it would be DLC because the game left Alpha too early, left Beta waaaay to early, and was considered finished because they removed large chunks of the planned features list.

...all the more reason to make existing planets more interesting versus adding more desolate wasteland planets.

The absolute BEST case scenario for having a new planet is "I've been there," but the absolute BEST case for a planet that actually HAS something worth exploring is "I've seen the waterfalls of laythe, the geysers Eeloo; I've seen the darkest caverns of Moho and the wide canyons of Duna."

The point is this: simply adding another rock to plant a flag on will result in just that. A rock with a flag on it. But if we take the rocks we already have and make them hold secrets ready to be discovered, you make the game exponentially more meaningful.

I mean, and I'm being serious here, with all this talk of "a new gas giant," what are you going to get out of it? You put a satellite in orbit, you take pictures, but you cant ever land on it. Go to Jool and take a picture. Now swap the texture to something else and do the same. You've now experienced Jool 2: The Jooling.

At least by adding features to the planets we've already got, we get to add MEAT to our potatoes. And I, for one, think that makes for a far better meal.

26 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

...all the more reason to make existing planets more interesting versus adding more desolate wasteland planets.

The absolute BEST case scenario for having a new planet is "I've been there," but the absolute BEST case for a planet that actually HAS something worth exploring is "I've seen the waterfalls of laythe, the geysers Eeloo; I've seen the darkest caverns of Moho and the wide canyons of Duna."

The point is this: simply adding another rock to plant a flag on will result in just that. A rock with a flag on it. But if we take the rocks we already have and make them hold secrets ready to be discovered, you make the game exponentially more meaningful.

I mean, and I'm being serious here, with all this talk of "a new gas giant," what are you going to get out of it? You put a satellite in orbit, you take pictures, but you cant ever land on it. Go to Jool and take a picture. Now swap the texture to something else and do the same. You've now experienced Jool 2: The Jooling.

At least by adding features to the planets we've already got, we get to add MEAT to our potatoes. And I, for one, think that makes for a far better meal.

You reply as if we're on opposing sides of the argument.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.