The STOL challenge!

STOL huh? 

While I'm not applying for this challenge with this as there aren't any rules. I have made this though. 

My aircraft is with KAX propellers and has a high AoA on the runway. The high SLT minus the solar panels for weight will get it of the ground immediately.
It's not a VTOL because it can't land vertically and neither does it takeoff vertically but just more or less right away. That's also due to the high torque of the KAX propellers.

Would that be a STOL then? 
Yes or no, I think there's little challenge in this. I like the designs posted already. But it's not very competitive. WIth the right SLT and proper pivoting of the line one could get their plane to fly straight up. So I can't see how people would score in such a challenge as everybody would eventually win using the same or above designs. Unless that is considered VTOL, although one would still need to scrap the letter L.

@Thor WotansenTerrific video first of all. I get your point. So design challenge wise, yes, hence why I liked above samples.
But if it's concerning the point system and the challenge therein competition wise there's not much ground to win.

I sure agree that such a design is more elegant so if it's about style and looks I might give it a try with another vessel.

Since your only requirement is that it has to take off and land at the lowest possible forward speed, any kind of basic reaction wheel copter will trivialize this challenge. You should probably either outlaw reaction wheel copters entirely, or else posit some requirement for sustained forward flight, like to the island runway or at a speed of at least 150m/s.

Edited by herbal space program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.