How do you suppose Kerbals engrave the plaques for flags?

Allocthonous

No, no, I've figured it out. It's obvious that they carry round a miniature particle accelerator to write the words in the plaque by selectively transmuting lines in the surface of the gold into lead via neutron bombardment. The particle accelerator is also useful for cooking lightly-irradiated steak.

AAAAaaaaaannd, out of likes because of this thread.

EDIT: The plaques are made out of solid likes. Kerbals can only carry 25 likes at a time and plaques can be spontaneously assembled using 25 likes, which is why they can only carry one flag at a time. Fortunately, command modules have an Infinite Like Source installed, which is why Kerbals can summon an infinite amount of flags and an infinite amount of EVA fuel.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

[I haven't read the other responses here]

I've always assumed the flags and plaques were pre-made, and being able to type a message on the spot is just a gameplay thing. Also, the same thing applied to space probes before 1.2 - there were pre-programmed and being able to directly control them is just a gameplay thing 

48 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

[I haven't read the other responses here]

I've always assumed the flags and plaques were pre-made, and being able to type a message on the spot is just a gameplay thing. Also, the same thing applied to space probes before 1.2 - there were pre-programmed and being able to directly control them is just a gameplay thing 

Well, yeah. The original question only really came to me when I was putting down flags as waypoints to track the progress of a manned rover. It ended up being a journal-anecdote sort of thing about the mission. It wouldn't have been something that you could use pre-engraved plaques for.

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Also, the same thing applied to space probes before 1.2 - there were pre-programmed and being able to directly control them is just a gameplay thing 

Yeah, sure. Correction burns are "pre-programmed"......

Might have been that there was no logical reason for communication, until 1.2

This is an ongoing issue, all this guessing, because none of you have ever seen a Kerbal out of his/her spacesuit... woohoo!

They have what amounts to a very sharp, strong, dew claw which retracts laterally into the heel of the palm; The act of making a fist extends this claw out and downward, and, much as one would holding a awl in their hand, they can inscribe things with it... like plaques. They also use it to tear open snack packages, and to pop open cans of fizzy golden colored liquids they imbibe, and even for desperate useless attempts of self-defense against the Kraken. There's a few other things they've been known to do with it, but I'm not allowed to go there as per the forum posting rules.

So there you have it.

21 hours ago, qzgy said:

Wait, but wouldn't that puncture the space suit?

Re-posting because the original got squashed during the forums update...

Nah... Their suits have a small portal on the cuffs, much like an injection bottle, which allows the claw to extend out. The portal self-heals when it retracts. :wink:

The flag plaque engraving department uses a psychic kerbal who is able to read other kerbals thoughts over space and time. So when the kerbal plants a flag and thinks of a message he pulls out his plaque and low and behold it is already engraved there.

Unfortunately the psychic is only able to detect the most powerful thoughts of kerbals, i.e. their inspiring space quotes.

Everybody has missed what is actually going on.

There is no physical plaque.

You only see it on your screen, not on the flag, so there is a chip in the plaque which has enough storage to store a few lines of text. When you click on the flag it relays that text to your suit and shows the message via bluetooth or something.

It is programmed the same way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.