[1.12.x] SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, IvanBatura said:

Something seems to be wrong with Mk2 Essentials' part aerodynamics. Looks like they can't fully occlude other Mk2 parts, thus creating extra cross-sectional drag where there shouldn't be. Below is a comparison between stock Mk2 Drone Core and Mk2 Reaction Wheel Module

It's rather hard to follow when the left part of the picture has the two windows overlapping.

2 hours ago, IvanBatura said:

Another problem is that all mod Mk2 parts have lower max temperature than stock Mk2 parts (2000K vs 2500K)

Well, it is an old mod.

Oh sorry, it is kind of distracting, so here's a rocket showcasing the issue: Craft file (Steam )

And the issue is that it appears as if game treats Mk 2 reaction wheel, decoupler and separator like they're slightly smaller than Mk 2 sized. The batteries are fine.

The temperature thing is obvious, I can fix it for myself, but I really have no idea about aerodynamics. I see that, unlike battery, they have quite detailed collision models, maybe changing them to more basic ones will help?

Edited by IvanBatura

1 hour ago, IvanBatura said:

So I changed SAS, separator and decoupler models to battery's one and that did the trick. As an added bonus, they look much better than before.

So now I have to try and make a new model, I guess? Can I use battery's model as a base for that?

Edit: here's modified files, if you want to fix it quickly

While what you have there *is* a sort of fix... its moar of a "band-aid fix"... I dont want to sound negative, or discourage you, as you've taken a good first step into how the game files work, and you did come up with a *possible* fix ;)

This seems to be moar an issue that the drag cubes are not being calculated properly for those parts. The proper fix, is to fix any issue with the model(s) itslef, if there *is* any issue there. Then the other would be to troubleshoot the drag cube calculation that is happening.. if its wrong, it can be addressed with editing the drag cube definitions in the cfg(s).

I dont know exactly why swapping to the battery model would "make the parts look better...", but that can also be looked at, rather than ignoring the reason why there may be seperate models for these parts in the first place.

5 hours ago, IvanBatura said:

So I changed SAS, separator and decoupler models to battery's one and that did the trick. As an added bonus, they look much better than before.

So now I have to try and make a new model, I guess? Can I use battery's model as a base for that?

Edit: here's modified files, if you want to fix it quickly

I'll have to look at this.  There is a good chance that this will be a reasonable fix, if they are close enough

What I'm going to do is install your modified config alongside the existing ones with a slightly different naame and see what differences, if any, there are

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

While what you have there *is* a sort of fix... its moar of a "band-aid fix"... I dont want to sound negative, or discourage you, as you've taken a good first step into how the game files work, and you did come up with a *possible* fix ;)

This seems to be moar an issue that the drag cubes are not being calculated properly for those parts. The proper fix, is to fix any issue with the model(s) itslef, if there *is* any issue there. Then the other would be to troubleshoot the drag cube calculation that is happening.. if its wrong, it can be addressed with editing the drag cube definitions in the cfg(s).

I dont know exactly why swapping to the battery model would "make the parts look better...", but that can also be looked at, rather than ignoring the reason why there may be seperate models for these parts in the first place.

If I recall, these came from several different mods.  It does look like they can all use the same model.  However, the textures need to be fixed for the correct model, the fix he did ignored the different textures, so all three in his patch look the same.

Edit:  The textures don't match the model, so the fix isn't that good, unfortunately.

I might just patch the drag cubes

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1.8.1 was the last major Unity update for KSP... if no one has complained about major issues with KSP Wheel in later versions, it should work. Just mar it 1.11.x compatable in CKAN, and give it a try in a fresh sandbox save, first.

I really like the taurus capsule from rs capsuledyne, but I feel like it could use a little update.

First off, it lacks inventory slots, but I see that the current version is originally made for 1.8, so I understand why. Second, it feels a little too heavy, but that might just be my opinion. I don't mind these two things too much, I can fix that myself.

But my big problem is with the abort motors. I really don't like having them in the staging menu, I'm afraid I'll trigger them accidentally. I wish we could toggle the staging on or off to avoid this.

1 minute ago, Michaelo90 said:

I really like the taurus capsule from rs capsuledyne, but I feel like it could use a little update.

First off, it lacks inventory slots, but I see that the current version is originally made for 1.8, so I understand why. Second, it feels a little too heavy, but that might just be my opinion. I don't mind these two things too much, I can fix that myself.

But my big problem is with the abort motors. I really don't like having them in the staging menu, I'm afraid I'll trigger them accidentally. I wish we could toggle the staging on or off to avoid this.

Regarding inventory slots, look at the mod :

re the mass, compare the mass to the mk1-3, as a ratio of the number of kerbals.  Also, don’t forget that making it lighter might make it unstable on recently, you should check that.  If you do come up with a reasonable revised mass, let me know and I may use it.

Re. The abort motors, if they aren’t in the staging, then they can’t be activated quickly, as you need to do in an abort.

If there are engines I don’t want to use, I just move them to the top of the staging list to avoid accidental staging

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding inventory slots, look at the mod :

re the mass, compare the mass to the mk1-3, as a ratio of the number of kerbals.  Also, don’t forget that making it lighter might make it unstable on recently, you should check that.  If you do come up with a reasonable revised mass, let me know and I may use it.

Re. The abort motors, if they aren’t in the staging, then they can’t be activated quickly, as you need to do in an abort.

If there are engines I don’t want to use, I just move them to the top of the staging list to avoid accidental staging

Ooh, I didn't know about that mod, I would use that if I hadn't manually modded my parts already :blush:

The mass of the 3-man pod is 2,72t, 0,9 per kerbal. Taurus is 7,9 without solid fuel, 1,6 tons "too heavy", which still feels a bit too heavy for the abort motors. Empty separatrons with the same thrust is 0,55t. For comparison, the amalthea 7 crew capsule from near future spacecraft, in lander version with abort engines and prop turned down to similar delta-v, weighs 6,9t for a slightly bigger capsule with full rcs built in.  I feel like taurus could lose at least half a ton, I will do some reentry testing.

For aborts, I would rather use the abort action group than change the staging around to use it. Disabling staging wouldn't disable that, right? It doesn't for decouplers at least. As I said, it should be an option, so if you want to abort using the staging, you still could.

2 minutes ago, Michaelo90 said:

Ooh, I didn't know about that mod, I would use that if I hadn't manually modded my parts already :blush:

The mass of the 3-man pod is 2,72t, 0,9 per kerbal. Taurus is 7,9 without solid fuel, 1,6 tons "too heavy", which still feels a bit too heavy for the abort motors. Empty separatrons with the same thrust is 0,55t. For comparison, the amalthea 7 crew capsule from near future spacecraft, in lander version with abort engines and prop turned down to similar delta-v, weighs 6,9t for a slightly bigger capsule with full rcs built in.  I feel like taurus could lose at least half a ton, I will do some reentry testing.

For aborts, I would rather use the abort action group than change the staging around to use it. Disabling staging wouldn't disable that, right? It doesn't for decouplers at least. As I said, it should be an option, so if you want to abort using the staging, you still could.

Good points.  I’ll review the mass of the separations & the Taurus, but sounds like I might drop the mass by 1 ton.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey linuxgurugamer,

Could you please consider rolling Baha's Mk22 cockpits into this, alongside the existing Mk2 Lightning? The Mk2 Lightning on its own is pretty useless since it uses the B9 cross-section instead of the stock Mk2, which these parts do.

34 minutes ago, Ronjoe said:

Hey linuxgurugamer,

Could you please consider rolling Baha's Mk22 cockpits into this, alongside the existing Mk2 Lightning? The Mk2 Lightning on its own is pretty useless since it uses the B9 cross-section instead of the stock Mk2, which these parts do.

I'll have to check to see if anyone else has already incorporated this.  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have some changes on the way for Atomic Age: Mainly I'm bringing the wrap-around radiators up to par with Nertea's Heat Control.

Also, I've noticed that the nuclear jet has an obscenely high heat production value and I wonder if that's on purpose. It's pretty quick to overheat for me (at least, with patches I have that add characteristics to it). If other folks have the overheat issue, I'll reduce this and add it to my PR when it happens.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have some changes on the way for Atomic Age: Mainly I'm bringing the wrap-around radiators up to par with Nertea's Heat Control.

Also, I've noticed that the nuclear jet has an obscenely high heat production value and I wonder if that's on purpose. It's pretty quick to overheat for me (at least, with patches I have that add characteristics to it). If other folks have the overheat issue, I'll reduce this and add it to my PR when it happens.

That's great, I'll add them as soon as you get them to me.

While I haven't used the jet that much, I wouldn't object to lowering the heat output.  My main use of it was a number of years ago  during one of the holiday challenges, I built a plane for Eve with a couple of the jets, and remember that I did have to add a number of radiators.  More than expected, but then again, I figured it _was_ a nuclear engine, after all.  I didn't think too much about the fact that most of the heat would probably be sent out the exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, LTQ90 said:

Hi all. I need advice : is it possible to install ONLY one part ? Especially the quadcuddle from taurus hvc.

Well, yes, but it's a manual process.

First, use CKAN to install only the RSCapsuledyne part of the Recycled Parts mod.  You can also install it by hand, if you want

Second, would have been helpful to give the correct name, the "Quadroodle" is what I think you are looking for.

Third, in the following directory:  GameData\SpaceTuxIndustries\RecycledParts\RSCapsuledyne\Parts

delete all directories except for the Engine directory

Thanks a lot ! and sorry for the name. I very like this engine.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, yes, but it's a manual process.

First, use CKAN to install only the RSCapsuledyne part of the Recycled Parts mod.  You can also install it by hand, if you want

Second, would have been helpful to give the correct name, the "Quadroodle" is what I think you are looking for.

Third, in the following directory:  GameData\SpaceTuxIndustries\RecycledParts\RSCapsuledyne\Parts

delete all directories except for the Engine directory

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.