[1.12.x] SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts

linuxgurugamer

So I finally got around to putting an a Munar ISRU setup, and experienced the same issues as previously with World Stabilizer in 1.4.x, even after updating to the recent release that was marked as 1.4.2 compatible.  Yes, it fixes the issues with planes being tossed 1km into the air reported here earlier, but just wanted to give a heads up that it might cause issues for landed craft elsewhere upon load.  So I guess we are dependent on Squad actually fixing the root cause of the collider issues for a solution that works in all cases (yes I know not directly to do with this mod, but as it was discussed here a few posts back, just wanted to make others aware that World Stabilizer isn't quite a magic bullet - far better than the alternative for those building heavy SSTOs though...)

12 hours ago, Thejorge0 said:

hey guys. i found the mod surfing through the original comments for the Tartus HCV mod and downloaded it for that reason. i have an issue where the science lab and crew compartment wont show up for me. does anyone know why? thanks

Log file would be useful

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed a couple of oddities while using this pack. I just spent two days building a huge ship out of MK2 pieces re-sized from 1.25 to 2.5 using tweakscale (no, it was too heavy to actually fly)and I noticed several pieces in the pack don't resize. The Mk2 solar panel batteries, both Mk2 KIS containers, the science lab and the Mk2 Advanced Reaction wheel don't resize, but the RCS part (and everything else I tried) does. The RCS piece,  SC-01 RCS Stability Control, I thought wasn't thrusting, but then found it does work if I put another type of RCS on the ship.(I got it to work on new ships, not sure why what I screwed up the first time)  Another compatibility issue I found was with Connected Living Spaces. The 3 Mk2 structural pieces are awesome, but the 4 way does not have the Living Spaces tag in the description like the elbow and 3-way do. Not sure if it actually just missing that 'tag' or not working at all though.

Since this is my first post on these forums I apologize if none of these issues are, well, your problem or if they are Tweakscale and CLS problems, especially since these are just mods you are maintaining but since nobody posted about it in the 6 pages here I thought I would. If you do need my logs let me know, I will figure out how and do that :) 

Edited by Alaratt
Investigated a bit more

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you can get me a list of what doesnt resize, I can look into it

And welcome to the forums

Thanks. I did  get this and Mk2 Expansion confused at first so please disregard any parts written above. The ones in this mod not compatible with Tweakscale are;

Bahamuto Dynamics

Mk2 Lightning

C7 Aerospace Division

Mk2 KIS Container 4000L

Mk2 KIS Container 8000L

Zaltonic Electronics (in-game is SpaceTuxIndustries)

Mk2 Battery

Mk2 Solar Battery 1000

Mk2 Solar Battery 2000

Mk2 Alt Battery

STEADLER Engineering Corps (also in-game is SpaceTuxIndustries  )

Mk2 Advanced Reaction Wheel Module

Mk2 Stack Decoupler

O.M.B. Demolition Enterprises (again in-game is SpaceTuxIndustries)

Mk2 Stack Seperator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cannot install Capsuledyne mod and Farscape mod at the same time via CKAN because is says doing so will copy over a ship build file in Capsuledyne and CKAN refuses to copy over any files.....even if they are both mods released by the same modder.....

In this case that person is Linuxgamerguru....

One of the things that annoys the crap out of me about CKAN....

8 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

One of the things that annoys the crap out of me about CKAN....

CKAN cannot guess the intent or impact of overwriting existing files installed by separate mods, even if they are from the same author (and remember, linuxgurugamer is mostly maintaining inherited mods and their problems, not creating them from scratch). 

Imagine the uproar if CKAN were to blindly overwrite files without explicit instructions from the mod author(s) and user.  The chaos that would ensue would annoy mod developers and lead to hundreds of questions from users as to why CKAN broke their installs/saves/mods, more than half of them sent to mod authors when the problem isn't theirs.  Also, remember that not every mod has a netkan file maintained by its author, risking further backlash.

Nope...the only reasonable way to handle cases such as this is to leave the choice to the user via the tried-and-true method of a manual install if that's what you want to do.  After all, you know exactly what you are doing, right?:D

If this limitation is a major irritant for you, raise an issue on GitHub with @linuxgurugamer about resolving the overlap.

Edited by Brigadier

4 hours ago, Brigadier said:

CKAN cannot guess the intent or impact of overwriting existing files installed by separate mods, even if they are from the same author (and remember, linuxgurugamer is mostly maintaining inherited mods and their problems, not creating them from scratch). 

Imagine the uproar if CKAN were to blindly overwrite files without explicit instructions from the mod author(s) and user.  The chaos that would ensue would annoy mod developers and lead to hundreds of questions from users as to why CKAN broke their installs/saves/mods, more than half of them sent to mod authors when the problem isn't theirs.  Also, remember that not every mod has a netkan file maintained by its author, risking further backlash.

Nope...the only reasonable way to handle cases such as this is to leave the choice to the user via the tried-and-true method of a manual install if that's what you want to do.  After all, you know exactly what you are doing, right?:D

If this limitation is a major irritant for you, raise an issue on GitHub with @linuxgurugamer about resolving the overlap.

I just installed his general "recycled parts" mod on CKAN which appears to include all 8 (or however many recycled part mods he revived in total) together. 

I was unsure which did what exactly on CKAN as all of the recycled part entries there are listed as the same size download size of 32MB or something.....even though that is clearly not the case....

8 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

I just installed his general "recycled parts" mod on CKAN which appears to include all 8 (or however many recycled part mods he revived in total) together. 

I was unsure which did what exactly on CKAN as all of the recycled part entries there are listed as the same size download size of 32MB or something.....even though that is clearly not the case....

Please clarify the error.  Are you installing the entire RecycledParts mod, or just parts?

Did you install any of the individual mods first?

they are all stored in the same folder and by their very nature cannot overlap each other.  When installing one of the submods, it downloads the entire file, and then extracts what’s needed.

Im wondering if you installed one of them first.

The full error message is needed, please.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please clarify the error.  Are you installing the entire RecycledParts mod, or just parts?

Did you install any of the individual mods first?

they are all stored in the same folder and by their very nature cannot overlap each other.  When installing one of the submods, it downloads the entire file, and then extracts what’s needed.

Im wondering if you installed one of them first.

The full error message is needed, please.

Sorry linuxgurugamer I wasn't trying to open an official bug report with you, and I don't have any logs or anything to give you. It's not an in game error with your mods, it's a CKAN thing.

On CKAN if you list mods alphabetically all your revived recycled parts mods are listed in a group together. The first mod is simply "Recycled parts" and that one works fine and appears to install all the individual pieces all at once. 

After that are all the individual pieces separated out. I had originally installed most of them individually except for the Farscape one because that one specifically has a dependancy on the patch manager mod. Also Farscape refuses to install separately if you already have Recycled Parts RSCapsuledyne installed first.

There appears to be a conflict with one of the included ship builds included with RSCapsuledyne. I can't remember which one it is as I have never seen or used any of the included ship builds for anything, as I only play career and not sandbox mode....so I can't really see or use any included ships that come with mods in general

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

After that are all the individual pieces separated out. I had originally installed most of them individually except for the Farscape one because that one specifically has a dependancy on the patch manager mod. Also Farscape refuses to install separately if you already have Recycled Parts RSCapsuledyne installed first.

My responsibility.  Looks like I have a problem in one of the netkan files, quite possible the ships are being installed both with RSCapsuledyne and Farscape, which would create the issue.

I'll take a look at it this evening

On 6/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

My responsibility.  Looks like I have a problem in one of the netkan files, quite possible the ships are being installed both with RSCapsuledyne and Farscape, which would create the issue.

I'll take a look at it this evening

Linuxgurugamer,

The irony of all this is I actually joined this forum to talk to you specifically about the lack of an EVA hatch on your smallest mobile lab in your "Better Science Labs Continued' mod....you know the little CC-1 lab that looks like a Materials Bay.

I also wanted to say that I put off playing Kerbal Space for a really long time, mostly due to it's price and concerns that at the almost constant price of 40-50 dollars on Steam.... that it would also be "NOT fun" due to it being too difficult in general. I finally recently caught it on sale a month or so ago, and I have been having a pretty fun time in general.

I started a career and played for a few days on vanilla to get a feel for the stock game, it's mechanics, and what parts are included stock. I had always fully intended on heavily modding it, because I felt from reading reviews and reading about the "best mods" in articles that mods are almost necessary to a degree to make the game more fun and more convenient. After looking at the huge mods list present on CKAN and sorting by author, you are hands down the most prolific modder of Kerbal Space Program. There are several other modders that are obviously very important to this gaming community, and it's interesting to see everyone's different little niches with their mods...like RoverDude and all the USI Kolonization and mining mods, Galileo88 and his world texturing mods, Dmagic and his crazy science mods, and Nertea with all the interesting propulsion technology. There are obviously many others I am not naming for the sake of time and being long winded (like the makers of Extraplanetary Launchpads, Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin Side), but hands down it is clear that you have devoted an inordinate amount of your personal time to this game. You also seem to have taken upon yourself the daunting task of rescuing dead mods from oblivion and the clutches of their inventors after said people have moved on from playing the game.

I feel that people like you cannot be thanked enough for your time and patience in doing all this for this game and gaming community. I am unsure why the modder community in general (for all games) do what they do, it seems pretty thankless and I figure it is also very time consuming. I doubt it pays very well....as a matter of fact if people don't go out of their way to donate money to you, I doubt you get any compensation at all. You should though....you all should. If I wasn't unemployed and disabled....I would compensate you.

When you and others like you get tired of what you are doing this game will suffer. Obviously Kerbal Space Program works on it's own without all the work everyone here has been doing in their spare time, but without many of these mods it would be pretty frustrating and "meh" in general and I probably would have given up playing it by now.

So thank you very much for everything you and the people like you do for this game!

JoE Smash

• 1 month later...

Bug report!

At some point there's been a change in the folder tree, and some parts are still referring to the old folder structure which means they can't load properly. I only noticed this because I was researching an entirely different problem and just happened across some of the exceptions, then dug a bit deeper. I'm not sure if the folder names are the only issues, but that was the first one I found. I've snipped the appropriate section of the log so that @linuxgurugamer can see which parts are loading properly and which require further investigation, it's available here: RecycledParts.txt - apologies for all the MM spam that's mixed in there. There seem to be 31 files that require the removal of "SpaceTuxIndustries\" from filename paths, and one file needs renaming so that it matches what's expected from its model (XXX/Ram jet Mk 10 Normal NRM 1.mbm needs to become XXX/Ram jet Mk 10 Normal_NRM 1.mbm), then they all load as intended.

Presumably this will be a very low priority fix, as if it had broken anyone's ships I'm sure they would have mentioned it by now!

Edited by JH4C
further explanation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.