"build a new unmanned probe...." not fulfilled by un-docking an unmanned probe from a manned spaceship

I have a mission to "build a new unmanned probe...".

My plan is to make a spaceship with one kerbal and an unmanned probe attached, so that I can position the satellite and bring some science data back as well.

But when I reach the designated orbit and have the unmanned probe un-docked, the mission requirement "build a new unmanned probe..." is still not fulfilled......

The probe has everything required (probodobodyne, solar panel, antenna). And if I remove the kerbal before launching, the "build a new unmanned probe..." is immediately fulfilled when the spaceship is on launchpad.

Is this a bug, or I have to launch it with no kerbal to satisfy the "unmanned" requirement?

9 hours ago, vccc said:

Is this a bug, or I have to launch it with no kerbal to satisfy the "unmanned" requirement?

You have to can launch it unmanned. That's why the requiremnent specifically says 'build'... it checks for how it comes out of the VAB/SPH.

Funny how that works... one gets something to work a certain way every time by pure coincidence, and it just gets stored as 'knowledge'. Never mind my blabbing, the others gave the answers that work in ALL circumstances.

Edited by swjr-swis
coincidence a fact does not make

Welcome to the forums, @vccc!

I'm a fan of stacking contracts to maximize profits on every flight possible; so this is something I do all the time. If there's an available satellite contract to wherever I'm going, I'll grab it just for the extra cash. I throw it on top of the rocket, just like you did. Once it's detached and put in position, the contract is fulfilled. I've done it in 1.3 as well, because I just sent a mission to Moho with the same arrangement. It worked just fine, as always. It sounds like something else is the cause. I never use fairings (just a personal thing: I can't stand 'em), and the satellites are always attached via a docking port (so both ships have docking ability: I've been saved many times by docking to an orbiting satellite to use its antenna). I don't see how either of those things could be the cause, but anything's possible, I suppose. Also, do you set your probe to "hibernate" during flight? Don't think that's it either. Just guessing at this point.

One last thing: have you tried the old quicksave and reload after the probe is detached? That might get the game to register the fact that it's new and unmanned.

Edit.

Just had a strange thought. I don't see a propulsion system on your satellite. That probably shouldn't matter, but I always have an engine and fuel tank on y satellites. They put themselves in position once detached at the target body (and they can move later if I need them for something). I'm wondering now if this has anything to do with your problem.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

I've had a few missions that required an unmanned probe and what you've done is correct. What I believe you haven't done is the "be in control of the probe" portion. You undocked the probe, but you still were in control of the manned spacecraft and not the probe itself. Just switch over to the unmanned probe and wait 10 seconds and you should be good to go.

5 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Welcome to the forums, @vccc!

I'm a fan of stacking contracts to maximize profits on every flight possible; so this is something I do all the time. If there's an available satellite contract to wherever I'm going, I'll grab it just for the extra cash. I throw it on top of the rocket, just like you did. Once it's detached and put in position, the contract is fulfilled. I've done it in 1.3 as well, because I just sent a mission to Moho with the same arrangement. It worked just fine, as always. It sounds like something else is the cause. I never use fairings (just a personal thing: I can't stand 'em), and the satellites are always attached via a docking port (so both ships have docking ability: I've been saved many times by docking to an orbiting satellite to use its antenna). I don't see how either of those things could be the cause, but anything's possible, I suppose. Also, do you set your probe to "hibernate" during flight? Don't think that's it either. Just guessing at this point.

One last thing: have you tried the old quicksave and reload after the probe is detached? That might get the game to register the fact that it's new and unmanned.

Edit.

Just had a strange thought. I don't see a propulsion system on your satellite. That probably shouldn't matter, but I always have an engine and fuel tank on y satellites. They put themselves in position once detached at the target body (and they can move later if I need them for something). I'm wondering now if this has anything to do with your problem.

Yes sometimes I do make one travel completing several missions :) Seems saving lots of effort.

I've just started playing this game, and the farthest place I've been is Minmus. Putting a docker on every satellite sounds like a good idea!

The hibernate thing got me once when I had a basic rocket with no solar panel...

And for the satellite propulsion system, if I need to get the ship back afterwards, I don't have a separate propulsion system for the satellite. Isn't it too heavy for the satellite to have a separate one?

1 hour ago, John Cochran said:

I've had a few missions that required an unmanned probe and what you've done is correct. What I believe you haven't done is the "be in control of the probe" portion. You undocked the probe, but you still were in control of the manned spacecraft and not the probe itself. Just switch over to the unmanned probe and wait 10 seconds and you should be good to go.

Really ?!?!

I should have read your comment earlier.........

You don't actually have to detach the satellite, either. Just EVA your Kerbonaut and the contract should complete. I'm thinking that Capt. Kerbalkrunch is right about the quicksave/reload trick fixing this error for you.

2 hours ago, vccc said:

Yes sometimes I do make one travel completing several missions :) Seems saving lots of effort.

I've just started playing this game, and the farthest place I've been is Minmus. Putting a docker on every satellite sounds like a good idea!

The hibernate thing got me once when I had a basic rocket with no solar panel...

And for the satellite propulsion system, if I need to get the ship back afterwards, I don't have a separate propulsion system for the satellite. Isn't it too heavy for the satellite to have a separate one?

An engine would certainly add mass (not to mention the fuel), but a Spark doesn't weigh much at all and, coupled with an Oscar B fuel tank can get a small probe surprisingly far.  Since satellite contracts are often highly eccentric, polar, or even retrograde, I prefer to detach the satellite once I've captured at the target body, and let the probe put itself in position. This way, I don't have to use my manned delivery vehicle (which is heavier, of course) to adjust orbit for the satellite.

And if you're just getting started, congratulations and welcome to the show. You have a lot to look forward to. This game only gets better.

2 hours ago, bewing said:

You don't actually have to detach the satellite, either. Just EVA your Kerbonaut and the contract should complete.

Never thought of that EVA trick. I'm gonna have to remember that for the future.

5 hours ago, vccc said:

Ant engine + OscarB tank: 245kg (dry mass 45kg) For small satellites it is a lot of deltaV (1500m/s for a 500kg satellite,  medium sized by my parameters). 

I think is enough to 4-5 'put satellite in an adjusted orbit' contracts.  IMHO a very good investment.

I tend to do a lot of satellite contracts in early game for cash. Having a few variants of satellite and launch vehicles beforehand is a good way to make it more efficient. 

11 hours ago, bewing said:

You don't actually have to detach the satellite, either. Just EVA your Kerbonaut and the contract should complete. I'm thinking that Capt. Kerbalkrunch is right about the quicksave/reload trick fixing this error for you.

8 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

An engine would certainly add mass (not to mention the fuel), but a Spark doesn't weigh much at all and, coupled with an Oscar B fuel tank can get a small probe surprisingly far.  Since satellite contracts are often highly eccentric, polar, or even retrograde, I prefer to detach the satellite once I've captured at the target body, and let the probe put itself in position. This way, I don't have to use my manned delivery vehicle (which is heavier, of course) to adjust orbit for the satellite.

And if you're just getting started, congratulations and welcome to the show. You have a lot to look forward to. This game only gets better.

Never thought of that EVA trick. I'm gonna have to remember that for the future.

6 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Ant engine + OscarB tank: 245kg (dry mass 45kg) For small satellites it is a lot of deltaV (1500m/s for a 500kg satellite,  medium sized by my parameters). 

I think is enough to 4-5 'put satellite in an adjusted orbit' contracts.  IMHO a very good investment.

I tend to do a lot of satellite contracts in early game for cash. Having a few variants of satellite and launch vehicles beforehand is a good way to make it more efficient. 

Thanks for the helps! :D 

I'll certainly try out those little engines to positioning satellites after unlocking the technologies.

So in order to meet the "build a new unmanned probe....", I can:

• simply EVA the kerbals to make the spacecraft unmanned, or
  • un-dock the satellite, do a save + reload to make ksp recognize the new unmanned probe, or
  • un-dock the satellite, switch control to the unmanned probe

• 5 years later...

Just recently started KSP and it seems that this post is very old but super helpful.

Same problem with me, checked the contract on launchpad, the criteria for unmanned probe was green but as soon as I did my circularisation burn, the it was no longer checked. I proceed circularising my orbit anyway and make it stable for 10 secs.

What I did was quicksave and reload the save and everything checks out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.