Multiplayer in KSP 1.8

With T2 entering the picture I would put money down that multiplayer in KSP Version 1 (I refuse to call T2's inevitable update to KSP a "sequel") will never happen officially by Squad. Their answer to their past comment is "it'll be released within a year of KSP V2.0s release".

The effort required coupled with the existing systems only being designed for single player makes it clear that it won't happen until KSP V2.0.

On 31/08/2017 at 5:55 AM, mattinoz said:

Why would people be mad?*

• Extensive development time for a feature some people know they won't use, so wasted development time that could be used for other features
  • Several ways of implementing many features, so a majority will inevitably have preferred them done another way
  • Long and complex thing to code (and maintain) possibly requiring much more effort than the entire beta (remember that KSP was never thought for multiplayer) so a lot of places for Squad to mess up and bugs to pop
  • Inherent characteristics of multiplayer meaning that people will have something to get mad at anyway
  • People like to be mad
Edited by Gaarst

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 10:11 AM, Greenfire32 said:

DMP is a great proof-of-concept. We've seen that KSP multiplayer CAN work and it can work reasonably good.

However,

IF multiplayer were to come to KSP, I would want it to be in an expansion or maybe even just a standalone game that is built specifically for multiplayer, because let's face it, KSP as it is now does not handle multiplayer very well at all. Even DMP has more moments where it doesn't work versus moments where it does. And considering Squad just restructured the entire game's code to better fit the language localization...I don't think they're wanting to rebuild the game...again...

Best hope for multiplayer is honestly either paid dlc with dedicated multiplayer development and support or, dare I say it, "Kerbal Space Program 2: The Kerbaling" directed by M. Knight Shamaliens.

--------
And to anyone that thinks the core problem of KSP multiplayer is "but timewarp tho," DMP solved that issue a loooooong time ago. Each player has their own "universe" and if you want to enter someone else's, you merely "sync" up to them. Then as long as neither of you time warp, you remain together. Friends and I have built entire space colonies together like this. The problem is the game not knowing where you are physically in relation to everything else, and thus you get the jumpy physics that can do some...real bad things....

DMP runs at maybe 2 fps on the best computer I have :/

On 9/1/2017 at 6:52 PM, Confused Scientist said:

I think multiplayer would be great for in-atmo flight around the KSC. Not too sure how good it would do for timewarp-heavy missions; thinking about that makes my head hurt.:confused:

...Are you sure we can't just add more power and see if that fixes things?

Maybe mutiplayer in a planet's SOI and singleplayer outside? That should fix the time warp problem I think

1 hour ago, RedPandaz said:

Maybe mutiplayer in a planet's SOI and singleplayer outside? That should fix the time warp problem I think

Not really, because in each player's game, each planet will be in different positions relative to the rest of the solar system.

What if multiplayer consisted as "worlds" (game servers basically)

Each server is addressed to a particular region of the Kerbin Solar system. (can be more servers per world depending on how big this will get)
Each region has a KSC. The Jool system has  KSC on, you name it...
But obviously that one will be Laythe (someone is now thingking about what obvious is: this is me in obvious mode.) Can't care a monkeys intestinal track if you agree yes or no. Worlds can't interact with one another. 

Worlds can be hosted and mod dependencies listed, but mod list cannot change even for the host or the session can't load (must be pre specified when a world is created)

These regions (worlds=servers) will be dedicated to a defined region of space. A SOI basically. So Jool and it's moon or Kerbin and it's moons.

Now make a App on android, windows and iPhone so you can take note of the server time, your vessel statistics like location and how much time until SOI change and other such things of importance one is willing to know.

One could plan missions in between work, dinner, going out and other appointments while being able to run a multiplayer environment in real time. AFAIK one could atleast monitor the real world time statistics that includes your own vessels and game time so that one could manage his ksp environment in a real time world. 

Good idea, or just much better then a good idea?

Edited by Helmetman

58 minutes ago, Jas0n said:

Not really, because in each player's game, each planet will be in different positions relative to the rest of the solar system.

When you get to the SOI the positions would update maybe?

Or what about just having Warp Gates between planets to get rid of interstellar voyages?

• 3 weeks later...

As usual, I'm late to the convo,

DMP works great, the warp system is a elegant solution, I have a LAN private server that I run for my room mates.  It adds so much more to the game to have others come and use stations and ships I've designed and use each others achievements to gain career progress. 

It does have it's issues, I get ghost duplicate ships on reverts that are usually during launches on new designs which inevitably crash back into Kerbin causing a negative reputation for killing the Kerbal pilot. I offset this by occasionally editing the player files manually to reset rep back to 0. It's less of a problem as designs are improved and reverts are less frequent. It of course doesn't matter at all in sandbox.

DMP mod also has issues with live player-player interactions, which we try to avoid on important stations in case something goes horribly wrong.

None of these problems dissuade me in the satisfaction of docking at a station and being able to refuel with fuel that was delivered by another player who may have been playing 6 hours previously, or have a unmanned probe have connection to the comms network because of another players orbitiing satellite, obviously the co-op experience adds life to the kerbal system. It is a great addition to the game and has sold more copies of the game as the people I play with purchased KSP due to the fact that a working multiplayer mod existed. 

I am very interested in a official  multiplayer, with private or lan server capability.  I would instantly purchase a "KSP 2" or KSP 1 DLC with this feature. Otherwise, KSP 2 would never interest me as a single player game, I already have better than that with DMP.

That all being said, Loved KSP! Loved the single player up to a point, and then it was just... once you've made it everywhere, too boring with no one to share achievements with.  DMP has added 100's of hours of playtime for me.

Have you heard of Dark Multiplayer?

By the way, Squad couldn't do nearly as many things as the modding community can in the same time interval. If Squad is going to change anything, they would need a very good reason for doing it. For example, a former developer at Squad had designed several new planets, including GasPlanet2. When the developer, NovaSilisko, left Squad, people still wanted a GP2 to be made, but it never happened in stock KSP. Then, the Kopernicus Modding community created OPM and KerbolOrigins. 

Eventually, the modding community will make a much better multiplayer mod.

As for the console edition, it is definately Squad's responsibility to make a multiplayer mod! Xbox is very boring if you can't have a game with other people. Also, it is very hard to mod console games, so the modding community has no power here.

Nononononononotagainonononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnoononononononononononononononononnowhydoesthisquestionalwayscomeupononononononononononononononononnoonononononononononononononononon

4 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

Have you heard of Dark Multiplayer?

By the way, Squad couldn't do nearly as many things as the modding community can in the same time interval. If Squad is going to change anything, they would need a very good reason for doing it. For example, a former developer at Squad had designed several new planets, including GasPlanet2. When the developer, NovaSilisko, left Squad, people still wanted a GP2 to be made, but it never happened in stock KSP. Then, the Kopernicus Modding community created OPM and KerbolOrigins. 

Eventually, the modding community will make a much better multiplayer mod.

As for the console edition, it is definately Squad's responsibility to make a multiplayer mod! Xbox is very boring if you can't have a game with other people. Also, it is very hard to mod console games, so the modding community has no power here.

Maybe the best of both worlds is a Squad or Joint venture developed a client to DMP?

Stock deals with the part the DMP client can't access and solve well enough as mod. DMP server handles the part it does well and other modders can join the fun enabling different rule set and gameplay option on the back of stock client.

To me, Stock might handle peer to peer physics bubble sharing, maybe even say split bubble into a visual range and physics range so the later. With physics kicking when a collision is detected. For all orbital drifting alone in the vastness of space with the odd syncing event DMP server handles.  

If they do add multiplayer i would think the best way to go about it is a coop game (avoiding the problems that come with having official servers) coop mode keeps the jerks out of the woodwork
and allows for friendly gaming, parts count aside it's also very possible to have multiple crew (players) per a ship and run a timewarp that said, this would be the ideal solution to multiplayer KSP. 

(lets face it it's the best fix also for having to put up with the time inbetween mod content being lost for weeks while it gets updated on curse or CKAN. just my thoughts. 

There are a lot of problems that will be caused by a multiplayer.

1. Some people play stock while others mod heavily. This will cause compatibility issues unless everyone on the server has exactly the same mods installed.

2. Trolling. A trolling user who knows what he is doing could easily cause the entire game to crash, potentially destroying a lot of work.

3. KSP is already a huge application for a computer to run, a multiplayer would only double the size and would cause crashes for some computers. This begs the question, how many people will actually be able to use the multiplayer? I have a friend who's motherboard was permanently damaged while using the KSP dark multiplayer.

4. As stated earlier, time warp is also a major problem.

Likely if multiplayer is added, I will never use it not only because it will likely crash my computer, but also because I enjoy the fact that KSP is a single player game and because many of the above mentioned issues will be very difficult to address.

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

There are a lot of problems that will be caused by a multiplayer.

1. Some people play stock while others mod heavily. This will cause compatibility issues unless everyone on the server has exactly the same mods installed.

2. Trolling. A trolling user who knows what he is doing could easily cause the entire game to crash, potentially destroying a lot of work.

3. KSP is already a huge application for a computer to run, a multiplayer would only double the size and would cause crashes for some computers. This begs the question, how many people will actually be able to use the multiplayer? I have a friend who's motherboard was permanently damaged while using the KSP dark multiplayer.

4. As stated earlier, time warp is also a major problem.

Likely if multiplayer is added, I will never use it not only because it will likely crash my computer, but also because I enjoy the fact that KSP is a single player game and because many of the above mentioned issues will be very difficult to address.

1. Stock only is fine (maybe add bd armory)

2. Make official servers with reputation and trolls are going to be banned like on forums.

3. Servers should be on squad side

4. Make it turn based... when everyone on game are ready to warp they press button and game is warping for day, week or whatever they all agreed.

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

4. Make it turn based... when everyone on game are ready to warp they press button and game is warping for day, week or whatever they all agreed.

Sounds rather like Civilization to me.

• 4 weeks later...

This issue is not unique to KSP - thousands of games before this have had to overcome similar issues. My 2c is thus:

1. Multiplayer does NOT equal MMO. Most of the objections I've read are MMO issues, and KSP frankly doesn't fit the bill for MMO in any form, and never will. The most we can possibly expect from multiplayer capability is being to share a LAN game with mates, either using one player's machine as the host or a server hosted on a separate machine on the LAN. So the issues of Trolls, for example, don't apply here - if your mate sitting next to you goes and crashes through your station, slap him upside the head and don't invite him next time.
  2. Mods are easy: The server instance, whether it be a player's instance or dedicated host, dictates the mod setup. Any player connecting must match the installed mods and KSP version exactly, otherwise it refuses to connect because of incompatible mod versions or KSP version. Same as minecraft. End of discussion.
  3. There can only be one universe, which is that of the server. The server owns the universe and everything in it. If you disconnect, you are no longer in the game.
  4. Timewarp is easy - I can't believe there's so much hype about this. The server dictates warp, and all players are subjected to the same warp speed. A voting system determines which players are wanting to warp. If all players want to warp, then the warp factor is set to the lowest warp requested. Bear in mind that 99% of the time, players are going to be either in the same room, or connected via a voice link so they can talk to each other.
  5. Same applies to reverts: If one player messes up really badly and wants to revert, the remaining players get to vote on whether or not to permit the revert back to a certain point in time. If they all agree, then the server rolls back to the desired point for the universe (i.e. all players).

I haven't looked at DarkMod yet, but intend to have a good look at it once it is patched for 1.3.1. I'm just engaging this discussion because I see that the current custodian of DarkMod also has a day job and cannot maintain it anymore. In all honesty, I'd only ever want to join a game with my son or with friends, so we can interact a bit with each other on missions, or help each other build a station.