Part clipping & colliding

Hello there, I am trying to build a Stratolaunch vehicle similar to the one in the Matt Lowne's video below. I noticed that he's clipping some parts, specially the wings, in order to make it look better. My problem is that when I try to do the same, parts collide with each other during take off and the ship breaks apart. I tried using struts to tie some of the parts together but it doesnt help much, also, I didn's see any struts in the craft on the video.

I would like to know if there is something I should be doing to avoid that problem.

Thanks!

Well, only @Matt Lowne can tell which kind of issue he faced and how he solved it. 

His video is interesting also. But we need images of your craft (you know: the one you need help to fix) . 

As general advice: try to increase ground clearance, put some incidence and avoid weak joints. 

Ok, I will post some images of my craft below, I was just wondering if there were some tips & tricks when it came to clipping parts together, something I never did before.

In the craft below I am able to take off, but when I try I try to raise the nose during the initial climb, the middle wing section breaks apart.

I'm guessing there. But seems that the wing is snapping off due to overstress when you try to pitch. The fuselage weight have a noticeable long lever arm.

If that's really the case you can try to move the fuselages and engines closer and see if it improve the things. But definitely you need to be careful with the controls and probably limit control authority.

The mod Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may also help (I don't use it, but is often mentioned for this kind of issue). 

A few struts/autostruts may help or make the craft more brittle and worsen the problem. 

If all else fail, download the craft file in the video description. 

9 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

I'm guessing there. But seems that the wing is snapping off due to overstress when you try to pitch. The fuselage weight have a noticeable long lever arm.

If that's really the case you can try to move the fuselages and engines closer and see if it improve the things. But definitely you need to be careful with the controls and probably limit control authority.

The mod Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may also help (I don't use it, but is often mentioned for this kind of issue). 

A few struts/autostruts may help or make the craft more brittle and worsen the problem. 

If all else fail, download the craft file in the video description. 

Ok, I will try moving things together as well as adding a few struts.

I wanted to try to build it by myself to learn how to make it work, but I will use the craft file as a last resort.

Thanks

The overlapping parts won't collide with each other so long as they are all part of the same vessel.   The problem is that your craft is breaking in two due to a joint failing which then causes overlapping parts to collide.

23 minutes ago, AeroGav said:

The overlapping parts won't collide with each other so long as they are all part of the same vessel.   The problem is that your craft is breaking in two due to a joint failing which then causes overlapping parts to collide.

Ok, thanks for the answer, I will check that out. I have been testing a little with moving around the engines with some degree of success.

On 27/08/2017 at 2:25 AM, Spricigo said:

Well, only @Matt Lowne can tell which kind of issue he faced and how he solved it. 

Hey everyone! I built this on a livestream, here's a link to the full construction:

(disclaimer, my methods for building craft are swearing and angrily insulting everything, but when it finally works I'm happy again. It's just all part of the process :wink:)

Edited by Matt Lowne

1 hour ago, Matt Lowne said:

Hey everyone! I built this on a livestream, here's a link to the full construction:

(disclaimer, my methods for building craft are swearing and angrily insulting everything, but when it finally works I'm happy again. It's just all part of the process :wink:)

Ok, Thanks for the answer, I will check that out!

BTW, love your videos!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.