Ideas on what to build

LeKiwi

I had a lot of fun building a plane that air drops a crew recovery rover for landed missions, then finds a safe place to land. Load the rover back on and take everyone home.

I even use it from time to time if I land close enough to KSC. Mostly I find planes the fun of they can actually do something. Retrieve crew, gather science, stuff like that.

Edited by Randox

11 hours ago, LeKiwi said:

Also no SSTOs I'm bad at building em

So was I untill I made a few then they become supremely easy! Just push yourself and don't give up.

Other than that how about trying to make a VTOL and taking cargo to the little island?

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

So was I untill I made a few then they become supremely easy! Just push yourself and don't give up.

Yup.  I can never get them to work just right until I do.  Then I end up with 2-3k dv extra on what was supposed to be just a LKO service vehicle. 

Make a heavy lift cargo plane to recover stages with. 

Make a science grabber.  Something with a few seats in it, carries a bunch of science parts, and has great distance, and you can harvest a bunch of science from a variety of biomes. 

Grab a couple mods and try a VTOL

The thing about L-1011s is you have to make the engine long enough to fit underneath the tail, and if you're using Mk3 fuselages you're going to have to make the engine really long and weird. I prefer making light jets, using Mk1 parts. I was able to build a really cool plane like a tiny A380. I also make Mk2 SSTOs that to this:

uh-oh, losing velocity...            

Jets have flamed out...                             NERVs aren't giving me thrust...

higher....                                                                                                                try RAPIERs... out of oxidiser...

Higher...                                                                                                                                                      Bail out! Bail out!

Takeoff...                                                                                                                                                                                     BOOM.

Edited by Confused Scientist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.