[deleted]

UbuntuLinuxKing

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Uhm.... the textbook definition of a torchship engine is both high thrust and utterly ridiculous Isp.

Not what I meant. In The Expanse (a TV/Book series where the Epstein Drive is from) torch drives have high thrust but very low ISP.  Might change the name.

Edited by UbuntuLinuxKing
Xtra

17 minutes ago, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

Thanks! Not super-cheaty though, you still have to do orbit maneuvers and stuff. Not like Hyperedit, at least.

Your reason but very good cheat mod :wink:

@UbuntuLinuxKing I have a suggestion, I would like the engine used without fuel, will be awesome!

Edited by SamBelanger

All right, I was waiting for something like this!

A suggestion: Force fuel to be consolidated into hydrogen pellets, extractable from the ground and seas of low-temperature (kerbin or less) worlds. Each engine has two modes- Epstein and non-epstein. As in canon, non-epsteins are remarkably inefficient; while epsteins are remarkably efficient. 

50 minutes ago, Tangle said:

All right, I was waiting for something like this!

A suggestion: Force fuel to be consolidated into hydrogen pellets, extractable from the ground and seas of low-temperature (kerbin or less) worlds. Each engine has two modes- Epstein and non-epstein. As in canon, non-epsteins are remarkably inefficient; while epsteins are remarkably efficient. 

Wow, did you try it out? If you did, tell me what you think! No pressure if you haven't tried it or don't want to, though.

How would I program/modify the mining tools and IRSU? And how do I do different modes? Asking everyone here.

Also, I'm planning on adding non-Epstein ("Basic Fusion") drives in a few days, plus some other stuff. (See my original post)

1 hour ago, SamBelanger said:

Your reason but very good cheat mod :wink:

@UbuntuLinuxKing I have a suggestion, I would like the engine used without fuel, will be awesome!

You mean you want it to use no fuel? Sorry dude, I can't do that. You could just use infinite fuel in the debug menu if you REALLY want it to work without a fuel tank.

14 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Here, Atomic Rocket's torchship page:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/torchships.php

The rule of thumb given here is one megawatt per kilogram (of ship), nothing to do with Isp. We can, however, infer Isp from that.

Assuming an acceleration limit of 5g, we have 10 MW/kg / 50N/kg = 1 MW / 50N, which equals 20,000 m/s. A quick sanity check on the definition of thrust power ( P = Tv/2 ) tells us we need to double this to get the actual exhaust velocity, but this is only 4,000 seconds still, and qualifies as a torchship. To qualify as a torchship at 1g, we can now quickly infer an exhaust velocity of 20,000 s (multiply by 5). Very high, but not ludicrous for the kinds of technologies you would look at to make one.

Interesting side-conclusion: the Sprint missile was a torchship. 100g acceleration, 20x higher than first calculation here. Divide the Isp by 20 to balance and it qualifies as long as its Isp is greater than 200 s.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.