Standalone/External Orbital/Map View

Fillipuster

Hey everyone.

I'm currently working on a KSP external controller (Arduino + kRPC) as many others have before me. This time however, the project is a little bit different, as me and my counterpart would like to split things up in to CAPCOM and Mission Control, so that two people are required to play the game.

This requires one person to control the vessel, and another to "control" the map view (having an overview of the situation and making maneuver nodes). However, as there is no way currently to externally have the map view, we've run in to a problem.

We've tried a couple of things:

1. Stand Alone Map View (works no longer)

2. Dark Multiplayer (trying to trick the game in to letting us control the same vessel at the same time - no success)

3. Several Standalone Programs/Solutions like Kerminal (none will display visual orbital information or let us make maneuvers)

Please note that beauty is not a concern here. 2D, 3D, 4D, whatever. As long as there is a map-view-like visual representation of the orbit, and the ability to create and preview maneuver nodes.

So currently, as the developer side of this project, I'm at a standstill. I have considered going the full mile and making my own standalone application that will take kRPC orbital information and basically render a map view, sending back maneuver node information through kRPC. However, as you can imagine, this is quite the task.

My question for you guys is simply: do you know of any programs/mods/applications that will allow me to do something like this, or relatively easily expand to be able to do something like this? Has anyone heard of any projects trying to achieve this? Any help and/or discussion would be much appreciated.

24 minutes ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

Tried Telemachus (combined with Houston)?

Interesting Idea. KSP: Houston by itself doesn't really have a map view. I did find this video showing potential, but it doesn't seem like tcannonfodder has implemented it in to Houston yet. The video is from 2016, so I fear he has abandoned that part of the project.

Maybe one should make a replica of the map view in Unity and transfer data to that from the main KSP instance...

5 hours ago, Fillipuster said:

Interesting Idea. KSP: Houston by itself doesn't really have a map view. I did find this video showing potential, but it doesn't seem like tcannonfodder has implemented it in to Houston yet. The video is from 2016, so I fear he has abandoned that part of the project.

Maybe one should make a replica of the map view in Unity and transfer data to that from the main KSP instance...

It does have this feature, it just shows a black screen for me without the map itself.

I'll fish around a bit, who knows

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, artwhaley said:

@Tunefix , That's looking awesome!  

You can make Maneuver nodes via kRPC...  so you could look at a hybrid solution for now - MOCR to display visually, and issuing typed commands to make nodes and such.

Thank you!
And, I will make that hybrid solution if I understood you correctly.
My previous attempt was to complicated, and tried to do it manually; as in calculating the inertial angles of the burn, then the pilot would use a PAD-load to enter the burn-data into his DSKY, and the burn at RPY 0,0,0, in the new burn-reference. I still like that idea, but just keeping it simple for now and working with KSPs maneuver nodes is better for getting something that works™.

Also, a better orbital-view is on the docket. Just making some new telemetry screens. First up is an electrical screen displaying power generators(panels, cells, enginges), power storage, current drain/surplus ...

:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.