What's your most stupid thing ever you did in KSP?

Cat91

Well... here's Bob.  Bob is looking off into a crater on The Mun, shortly after Jeb managed to put them down right on the edge of said crater.

Bob is looking off into the distance instead of performing the 8 science experiments he brought with in KIS containers to assemble on the surface because he forgot a screwdriver.

screenshot134.png

My first (successful) Mun landing.  It was a one-way trip for a robotic lander with a detachable robotic rover (back when drag was more abstractly calculated so this was less challenging to get up there than it seemed.)  I managed to touch down at just the last of my fuel reserves.  Phew!  

... then after I landed I realized that the fuel reserves were so low because I had installed the fuel lines backward and I still had a bunch of fuel in the central tank.  Back then there was no way of transferring fuel mid-mission, so good thing I managed to be a bit overbuilt on the thrust-to-weight ratio!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:08 PM, Archgeek said:

Sure, here're a few!

Hide contents

WR2j3TV.png?1

Note the ion engines and the gigantors.  Can you see how I wrecked the leg design?

XoKZOXq.jpg?1

The whole stack.  I think this was .90.  I'm actually still kinda proud of that transfer stage -- it's smaller than the lander, and was intended to dock with the ascent craft to give it enough xenon to get back to Kerbin.

DI3nUQJ.png?1

Tenuous and scary.  Explodes on re-load!

Beautiful!  The legs are really well executed.  It looks dead on similar to what I myself did in the past:

2bj5xG8.png

I have advice:  If you want bigger landers, you'll notice you'll have more and more trouble keeping it attached to the motors below that lift it into space.  What I ended up doing was making my own large boosters, but having them extend out from the sides, rather than below.  That way you can shore it up with more struts.  Here's the first design I made that did that:

ETi5D6P.png

UGH.  That one was so ugly.  But, the teching-up, so to speak, then led me here, to honest-to-goodness Truss Caging.

2onL1Sy.png

But there's something to learn here, too:  Notice the 4x orientation?  That's not optimal, at all.  A better way to go is 6x:

kXgimB5.png

... that was a test design where I was trying to greatly up the rigidy and strength of designs.  A failed concept.  Ignore all the docking ports, but instead look at the 6x symmetrical design.  What do you see?  Equilateral triangles.  Now THAT is the way to go!  Strong, rigid, durable.

tHSE3xD.png

Good luck on the building big, man.  Message me or reference me to get my attention if you have design questions.  I've never kept secrets to my work, and I won't start that now.  All my tricks can be your tricks.

I recently did something very stupid.

I built this whole, giant lander with ore-processing abilities. Mounted it to Near Future's new, bigger lifter parts. Got the whole thing flying and landing beautifully.

Added a satellite to the tip, enclosed in an aeroshell, to separate later and scan for ore in a polar orbit. Propelled by ion engines with sufficient xenon, battery, solar panel EC generation, with a transmitter dish and even RCS blocks so I can dock it back to the mother ship and venture to another planetary body with a fresh supply of liquid fuel and oxidizer.

I got all the way to Duna orbit, smugly separated my satellite, deployed the scanner, hit the ion engines and... click. Click. Oh, dear. THEY'RE BACKWARD! Only an overgrown mop-head like you would be stupid enough to...

Cheated an Albatross (The big, slow, high altitude style stock plane) into Orbit.  Went as well as you might expect on the way down:

CGvMqER.png

Not pictured:  The results of the flare maneuver near the runway - the wings folded together, broke apart and a highly amusing set of explosions were generated.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

I just lost all my progress from my savegame because i pressed F9 and the last time i pressed F5 was in the beginning of my game.

Ouch...sorry man...I've had that happen, but only backed me up a few missions, not the entire save. Hope you weren't too far along.

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

I just lost all my progress from my savegame because i pressed F9 and the last time i pressed F5 was in the beginning of my game.

You may have by now, if it autosaved since your little blip.  If you do it again, go to Load Game and load the persistent file to load the last autosave.  Better than starting at the beginning.

Earlier today I sent my first probe beyond Kerbin's SOI in the New Horizons system, only to discover that the antennas weren't quite powerful enough to even reach the edge of Kerbin's SOI, let alone the moon I was trying to reach (in the New Horizons system, Kerbin is a moon of a gas planet and I was trying to get to a different moon). I shall have to make some design changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2017 at 6:54 AM, Geonovast said:

because he forgot a screwdriver.

omg this is such a frustrating KAS/KIS derp! I've also done that many times. To the point that I now have crates of screwdrivers on stations so there is the possibility of picking one up mid mission. 
I wish KIS would automatically add one to every engineer when the craft is launched. 

On the subject of KAS/KIS related fails, when doing rescue missions my prefered method is just to slap a parachute onto the part that needs recovery and then shunt it into a reentry trajectory. First few times I attempted to do this by towing the part with a KAS winch, the end result was the part spinning out of control around the recovery craft so I thought, I know, I'll just timewarp for a second so it's not moving so chaotically. Quickly tapped into and out of timewarp, but as i went into timewarp it drifted inside the main craft, so when I stopped timewarp, boom!  

I don't do stupid things. Merely slight miscalculations in my expectancy pattern.

:P

To be honest, it's been 3 years since my last career mode. I've done stoopid things like everyone else. I just don't remember them. 

Probably one of the perks of being 40.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.