more nuclear engines / Cryogenic engines in stock?

I'll just leave this here:

Proposal for a Large Size trimodal LOX-afterburning engine:

• Name: LV-3 "Lantern" Atomic Rocket Motor
  • Diameter: 2.5 meters
  • Length: Same as the Nerva
  • Mass: 13 tonnes
  • Alternator: Can be switched on or off independent of throttle setting, provides 33 electric units per second (a quarter the electricity/weight of the PB-NUK), produces enough waste heat to require radiators
  • Modes: Dry, Wet (Dry burns only LF; Wet burns LF+LO)
  • Max Dry thrust (1 atm): 38 kN
  • Max Dry thrust (vacuum): 240 kN
  • Dry Isp (1 atm): 140 seconds
  • Dry Isp (vacuum): 885 seconds
  • Max Wet thrust (5 atm): 995 kN
  • Max Wet thrust (1 atm): 1,095 kN
  • Max Wet thrust (vacuum): 1,194 kN
  • Wet Isp (5 atm): 500 seconds
  • Wet Isp (1 atm): 550 seconds
  • Wet Isp (vacuum): 600 seconds

This is a trimodal nuclear thermal engine with a "wet" mode that allows LO-afterburning. It also functions as a nuclear reactor, providing more electricity per second than any other single part in the game (although at a much higher mass cost), enough to run 3 Dawn engines simultaneously. Turning the reactor on requires active cooling to prevent rapid overheating.

The dry atmospheric isp is worse than the LV-N due to the larger, more expanded engine bell. However, this allows the vacuum isp to be greater than the LV-N, though the dry TWR is a little lower than the LV-N.

In wet mode, on the other hand, LO injection fills the engine bell, bringing the exit pressure up much higher and allowing it to reach a specific impulse of 550 seconds at sea level. Because of the high component of pressure thrust, the engine can attain 500 seconds of isp even at the sea level of Eve. Wet TWR is about 75% of the TWR of the Swivel engine, but still high enough that it could theoretically be used for an Eve SSTO. It is highly underexpanded in a vacuum and only reaches 600 seconds of isp in wet mode.

Like the LV-N, it cannot gimbal.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Take a look at space tux Industries recycled parts. It is a mix of a bunch of old mods, and includes pork sets atomic age. Which includes three nuclear engines and a nuclear turbojet.

I'll add a link when I get back home, I'm on mobile now.

Here you go:

• 2 weeks later...

I really want a mixed mode nuclear engine that can function either as a nuclear turbojet or as a conventional nuclear thermal rocket.    For Eve and Duna it's just what your spaceplane needs.

I did make one once by simply copying and pasting bits from the RAPIER config file into the NERV one.      Gave it very modest stats -

Mass 4T  (figure the turbomachinery is going to add that much)

Thrust (Airbreathing)  80kn,  peak 120kn at mach 1.5,   rapid falloff after mach 2.   Much like the Juno really.

Rocket Mode - Thrust 60kn.    ISP (Vac) 720 (it's going to be using a nozzle that can also run at sea level so it won't be as high as the vacuum optimised NERV   

ISP (atm) - 600 - see above - jack of all trades nozzle

Despite the modest stats, you could really add significantly to the places your spaceplanes could go, it just took longer getting to orbit than we're all used to.

Note , you could also add afterburners to each of these modes as well,  but i didn't because  switching between 4 modes could be tricky in flight (make a mistake, and it's 4 clicks to get back)

In Airbreathing mode,  you would add liquid fuel downstream of the reactor and turbomachinery (thereby not having to worry about temperature limits of either) and it would burn in air for more thrust.     In closed cycle mode, the afterburner would consume oxidizer instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.