[WIP][1.12.x] James Webb for Kerbal

bcink

If anyone finds anything they think sound be adjusted or changed please let me know. I would appreciate any problems reported especially. I noticed the process broke somewhere along the way and the heatshield layers rising up into final position didn't quote make it into release 1.0. It has already been fixed and will be included with the first update.

Welcoming all suggestions for the first update!

Thanks again for the support!

@bcink You may already have this on your To-Do list, but I was thinking it might be useful to have everything from the deployment tower and up (OTE mirror array, aft-optics, ISIM & thermal mgmt enclosure, secondary mirror & its folding support structure, etc) be a separate part that we plug into the main body (satellite bus, solar array, antennae, startracker, the "lobster tail"/trim flap, pallet structure, and sunshield).

Currently, I can not control the telescope from the POV of the mirror array, the same way I can with the first TST space telescope. Control-from-here is aligned with the center-line that runs from the bottom of the bus where you have the main rocket motor to the top of the ISIM enclosure. If I am explaining this poorly, I apologize.

Edited by MaeharaProjekt

4 hours ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

@bcink You may already have this on your To-Do list, but I was thinking it might be useful to have everything from the deployment tower and up (OTE mirror array, aft-optics, ISIM & thermal mgmt enclosure, secondary mirror & its folding support structure, etc) be a separate part that we plug into the main body (satellite bus, solar array, antennae, startracker, the "lobster tail"/trim flap, pallet structure, and sunshield).

Currently, I can not control the telescope from the POV of the mirror array, the same way I can with the first TST space telescope. Control-from-here is aligned with the center-line that runs from the bottom of the bus where you have the main rocket motor to the top of the ISIM enclosure. If I am explaining this poorly, I apologize.

Thanks for that. The first update now has the telescope camera fixed (had it proper at one point but reverted a change at some point and forgot to adjust that back). The same with the heat shields - they now "rise" into their correct final locations. 

I tried forever to get the JWST to have a separate upper and lower section but in the end there was no viable solution due to the animations. The bottom needs to fold out before the top tripod folds out, but that can't happen until the top rises due to the heat shields final position. Overlaps happen in both spots. The only solution was to have it be a single part that plays the entire deployment animation.

I've also added Tweakscale compatibility to the James Webb parts.

Still seeking more suggestions for the first update. 

Thanks!!

1 minute ago, bcink said:

Thanks for that. The first update now has the telescope camera fixed (had it proper at one point but reverted a change at some point and forgot to adjust that back). The same with the heat shields - they now "rise" into their correct final locations. 

I tried forever to get the JWST to have a separate upper and lower section but in the end there was no viable solution due to the animations. The bottom needs to fold out before the top tripod folds out, but that can't happen until the top rises due to the heat shields final position. Overlaps happen in both spots. The only solution was to have it be a single part that plays the entire deployment animation.

I've also added Tweakscale compatibility to the James Webb parts.

Still seeking more suggestions for the first update. 

Thanks!!

I can see how that may have been frustrating. Whether it was or not, your implementation of the animations is quite nice. :)

One last spin of the hamster wheel in my head about maneuvering the bus vs aiming the observatory. What if the rocket motor in the bottom of the bus was a separate part that could be attached to a node on the body, in the exact same location at it would be in the current model, to provide a different axis of control during maneuvers?

Ok, my mental hamster just died after running for 1.21 seconds. Moving on... :confused:

1 hour ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

I can see how that may have been frustrating. Whether it was or not, your implementation of the animations is quite nice. :)

One last spin of the hamster wheel in my head about maneuvering the bus vs aiming the observatory. What if the rocket motor in the bottom of the bus was a separate part that could be attached to a node on the body, in the exact same location at it would be in the current model, to provide a different axis of control during maneuvers?

Ok, my mental hamster just died after running for 1.21 seconds. Moving on... :confused:

I actually toyed with this a little bit. I ended up settling with it as a joined part due to the rather extreme offset of the center of thrust on the *model* versus where the actual FX are. The center of thrust is actually offset to the center (0,0,0 coordinates) of the model. This isn't really the case on the JWST, it's just a rather awkward shaped thing and that positioning aligns it with the R.L. design. For that reason, if the engine were a separate part, with its thrust being offset quite a bit, there wouldn't have been an easy way to determine if you put the engines on correctly or at a 180º. Settled with simplicity for the same of Kerbal integration.

On the note of thrusters, RCS thruster size has been increased 30%.

OK the 1.1 update is good to go.

Fixes include:

Increased zoom, built-in TSST hard drive, sunshield layers now "rise" into correct final locations, telescope orientation can now be switched between engines / camera optics with multiple "control from here" options, tweakscale compatibility, RCS thrusters 30% larger - and upgrade to the new textures unlimited 0.9.0.2 to fix random exploding fairings.

mxs6aPZ.png

Edited by bcink

On 11/22/2017 at 2:24 PM, Kerbital said:

So... you learned modding as you were developing this mod?!? Respect! This is amazing! I can't wait for you next creation!

Sure did :) Thank you very much! Next up is a tiny one I wanted to scratch off the bucket list of missing items in the Kerbalverse, a detailed recreation of BEAM. The next one has me more excited, but no public details on that one yet :D

• 2 months later...

ok so I need some help with this one if someone could..when I put james webb telescope in my game data folder and start the game the only part that shows up is the rcs thrusters for the telescope.so I tried to install Tarsier Space Technology  mod and it does not work at all,my game will not load with tarser installed.i have 1.3 .anyone have any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

37 minutes ago, Loki stephens said:

ok so I need some help with this one if someone could..when I put james webb telescope in my game data folder and start the game the only part that shows up is the rcs thrusters for the telescope.so I tried to install Tarsier Space Technology  mod and it does not work at all,my game will not load with tarser installed.i have 1.3 .anyone have any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

Haven't heard of that. In this instance, I would probably remove all mods, "verify integrity of game cache" through Steam, or reinstall and start over. Backup your saves first...

9 hours ago, Loki stephens said:

well I have 3 versions of ksp installed 1.3---1.2--and 1.0  I cant get it to work on any and with no other mods installed dunno what im doing wrong .its the only mod iv had trouble with ..this much anyway..would love to see it in action.

Do you have ModuleManager? Also TexturesUnlimited are only for 1.3.1, not for 1.3.0 oder older KSP-versions.

11 hours ago, Loki stephens said:

well I have 3 versions of ksp installed 1.3---1.2--and 1.0  I cant get it to work on any and with no other mods installed dunno what im doing wrong .its the only mod iv had trouble with ..this much anyway..would love to see it in action.

When you say 'no other mods installed' are you including or excluding the JWST dependencies? It does require both Textures Unlimited and Tarsier Space Technologies, at the minimum. As @Cheesecake said, Textures Unlimited requires 1.3.1, thereby making JWST have a requirement of 1.3.1 also, so be sure to only run it on the latest version of KSP.

Thanks,

yea I sould have clarified that.ok I can run the game with james webb telescope but only the rcs thrusters appear,as soon as I try to install tarsier space tec my game wont start.it loads and starts to go to the main menu screen but never makes it just crashes.so yea I tried to have those required mods installed but it wont even start if I do.i use the other versions of ksp to test and experiment with mods and parts.i use 1.3 as the main program and is what version im trying to install all this on..thankx for your input and time.

2 hours ago, Loki stephens said:

yea I sould have clarified that.ok I can run the game with james webb telescope but only the rcs thrusters appear,as soon as I try to install tarsier space tec my game wont start.it loads and starts to go to the main menu screen but never makes it just crashes.so yea I tried to have those required mods installed but it wont even start if I do.i use the other versions of ksp to test and experiment with mods and parts.i use 1.3 as the main program and is what version im trying to install all this on..thankx for your input and time.

Are you able to load the game without James Webb, but with Tarsier?

yesd I can load the james webb telescope without the tarser space tec mod.i have been testing and I have discovered ,that the tarserspacetec.dll in the plugin folder is whats crashing me. I can run the game without that dll in the folder ,.if I do that the chem cam will appear in the parts list but I cant do anything with it .but when I put that dll back in the plugin folder it does not start.thank you for your time and input.

no the dll is in gamedata\tarserspacetech\plugins

all the files and folders fropm tarser space tech is in gamedata now except that tarserspacetech.dll.and the chem cam will appear in my parts list and I can attach it to things but when I launch I cant do anything with it.that dll is the only thing crashing me as far as I can tell.you need me to post a error log of when the dll is in the folder?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.