[WIP][1.12.x] James Webb for Kerbal

bcink

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, Loki stephens said:

no the dll is in gamedata\tarserspacetech\plugins

all the files and folders fropm tarser space tech is in gamedata now except that tarserspacetech.dll.and the chem cam will appear in my parts list and I can attach it to things but when I launch I cant do anything with it.that dll is the only thing crashing me as far as I can tell.you need me to post a error log of when the dll is in the folder?

Sorry I trailed off this a few days ago! Is this still an issue? I think if anything, it sounds like some potential issue with your KSP install and TST, since the JWST just piggy backs off the TST mod. I'm not sure I would be able to solve the problem with a log file check but you never know? I would suggest maybe try poking @JPLRepo or posting in TST forum. He may have come across something like this.

• 1 month later...

Almost time...

James Webb for Kerbal Re-build for 1.4

Fixed base structure center point / origin
Reassembled and exported model with very slightly altered scale
Fixed center thrust point
Re-aligned all attachment nodes
Added 8x attachment points for the RCS thrusters
RCS Thrusters now have an attachment node
Fixed rear solar panel center point / origin
Reduced SAS power
Greatly increased SAS electricity cost to promote maneuver accuracy
Edited by bcink

• 1 month later...

Hi @bcink, I love what you have created. Do you have any contact with anyone who works on JWST? I work with some of the team and they were impressed with what you have made. Would contact with them help you out?  Are you still planning to work on this.

I could help you identify the purpose of the Mysterious Side Antenna

1 hour ago, Octavius404 said:

Hi @bcink, I love what you have created.

Thank you very much!!

Do you have any contact with anyone who works on JWST?

Unfortunately, I do not :( 

I work with some of the team and they were impressed with what you have made. Would contact with them help you out?  Are you still planning to work on this.

I could help you identify the purpose of the Mysterious Side Antenna

That is awesome and I am quite thrilled to hear that! I'm sure it would! I would love to grow the Kerbal JWST, though have been a bit stagnant with ideas.

I am definitely excited to hear more! :D 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've decided to go back to this and re-do some things because JWST is worth it. IF I can pull it off I will get it into a state where it can be archived for history and legit to the last update for KSP 1.

1) Remove Textures Unlimited pre-requisite (no sign of update to that mod) so this can be a legit downloadable / ckan etc. mod by changing sunshield deployment from BlendShapes to bones - see below (TU will still be an option if you want to use the shiny reflections but not a requirement).

7u1IQrw.gif

2) Shorten it. It was more rectangular that it should have been. This will help with fairings and what not:

dwJ24ba.jpg

3) This was the first mod I did / first texturing I did for a model / etc. so it's pretty sloppy in the back-end with the UV map, unwrapping, textures etc. I'm going to re-do the whole thing, minus the mirrors themselves, so will take a bit of time. Please don't expect anything right away but know that it is in the works :) 

Cheers.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Dev_135 said:

Hey bcink!

I've been trying to use this mod for the past 2 months, but the solar shield doesn't show up on my JWST. Is there a reason why, or is it just my settings?

Sorry this is really late in response. I haven't heard of this before. Maybe wait until next update.

20 hours ago, bcink said:

I've decided to go back to this and re-do some things because JWST is worth it. IF I can pull it off I will get it into a state where it can be archived for history and legit to the last update for KSP 1.

1) Remove Textures Unlimited pre-requisite (no sign of update to that mod) so this can be a legit downloadable / ckan etc. mod by changing sunshield deployment from BlendShapes to bones - see below (TU will still be an option if you want to use the shiny reflections but not a requirement).

7u1IQrw.gif

2) Shorten it. It was more rectangular that it should have been. This will help with fairings and what not:

dwJ24ba.jpg

3) This was the first mod I did / first texturing I did for a model / etc. so it's pretty sloppy in the back-end with the UV map, unwrapping, textures etc. I'm going to re-do the whole thing, minus the mirrors themselves, so will take a bit of time. Please don't expect anything right away but know that it is in the works :) 

Cheers.

Sorry this is really late in response. I haven't heard of this before. Maybe wait until next update.

All good! Nice to see the mod coming alive *Somewhat* again. would it take longer to recieve the update if you do the real deployment animation, like match the real life one, not the way it is right now?

On 1/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Dev_135 said:

All good! Nice to see the mod coming alive *Somewhat* again. would it take longer to recieve the update if you do the real deployment animation, like match the real life one, not the way it is right now?

Of course it would take longer. I would need to re-work the entire animation:

In addition to re-doing the whole heatshield and sizing everything up along the way:

Whs9rye.png

but ok :}

I would say the hard part is done. The re-worked thing is in-game without TU as a requirement,

atL87AH.png

Need to square up some new colliders

edit: the collider game is strong with this one

7Rxd4UF.png

and re-texture the whole thing next.

Also - big quality of life improvement that it fits great inside a 3.5:

oCRAkkf.png

Edited by bcink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm satisfied with how this looks with Textures Unlimited.

-Sunshield is now a flat texture

-The body is all wrinkled and looks like actual foil.

-Secondary mirror is reflective

-Camera/Sesnor is reflective

-Shiny flat sections on body ("flaps"/solar panel mounts)

EL9jLc8.png

Thrust + engine FX are squared away. 

All attachment points are fixed (relocated) due to re-sizing the body structure.

RCS thrusters are down-sized a bit to fit the new limited space underneath.

Main + side antennas are down-sized a bit to fit the new structure size.

It's close to being complete.

Edited by bcink

On 1/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, bcink said:

Also - big quality of life improvement that it fits great inside a 3.5:

Just catching up on this thread from about 3 weeks ago and it's looking great! Thank you so much for the size adjustment above - this will make lots of people do the happy dance. Gonna alternate history this baby when you're done :)

Btw, did you see the recent smarter every day episode where he hangs with his dad in the sunshield clean room? Flippin incredible footage of something that very few humans got to see up close!

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Just catching up on this thread from about 3 weeks ago and it's looking great! Thank you so much for the size adjustment above - this will make lots of people do the happy dance. Gonna alternate history this baby when you're done :)

Btw, did you see the recent smarter every day episode where he hangs with his dad in the sunshield clean room? Flippin incredible footage of something that very few humans got to see up close!

Heck yeah. Thanks and you bet.

I have now. Pretty sweet stuff. Lots of cool info in that video!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removed all dependency requirements (though it won't do much without TSST)

Added 5x additional telescope targets for TSST from Spitzer, in infrared:

l81KR4P.png

Here's a TU pic:

XgtDAcf.png

Coming soon:

Update 1.12x "The Legend"

Removed all dependency requirements
Re-size the entire main structure
Part is now considered a 3.75m part and not a 5m part (uses 2.5m decoupler)
Re-size side solar panels to fit new structure size
Re-create the entire sunshield and animation using bones to drop the Textures Unlimited (blend shapes animation loading) requirement
Adjusted the timings of the entire deployment animation to be more equivalent to the real deployment
Renamed the deployment animation action to "Open Aperture" to play nicely with Cacteye
Model is loaded as a .mu and not an smf
Re-texture entire main unit + solar panels
Scale-down the RCS thrusters size
Scale-down Main + Side antenna sizes
Fix location of all attachment points due to structure's change in size
Fix engine FX location
Various Textures Unlimited (optional) changes:
-Sunshield is now a flat texture
-The body is all wrinkled and looks like actual foil
-Secondary mirror is reflective
-Camera/Sensor is reflective
-Shiny flat sections on body ("flaps"/solar panel mounts)
Added 5 new TSST telescope targets in infrared taken from Spitzer
Added Cacteye compatibility (acts as the telescope part)

Edited by bcink

This is incredible work!  I'm a retired manager for Space Shuttle Atlantis and mainly dealt with ISS parts, but you really nailed the look and function of the telescope within the Kerbal universe confines, congratulations!

8 hours ago, j-tk said:

This is incredible work!  I'm a retired manager for Space Shuttle Atlantis and mainly dealt with ISS parts, but you really nailed the look and function of the telescope within the Kerbal universe confines, congratulations!

Thank you so much for your kind words!! Hope you enjoy it!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.