[WIP][1.12.x] James Webb for Kerbal

bcink

50 minutes ago, bcink said:

You're fine - It definitely falls under the category of unnecessary for the purposes of the Kerbal universe, other than to add a small amount of self-propulsion (which will pretty much only be able to handle small orbital adjustments. I presume they would be desired simply because they are on the actual JWST and that's all :D   In RL, it's a fancy set of 8x redundant dual monopropellant thrusters that run on hydrazine only and no oxidizer. When combined they provide pitch, roll and yaw control. Fun fact: Due to the awkward shape of the JWST, any adjustments to the pitch, roll, or yaw must be calculated into it's maneuver nodes ahead of time as they also affect the vehicle's DeltaV.

Okay, if it's intentional, then it's good.  I certainly am not one to turn down gratuitous greebles, especially when they have SFX attached to them, like puffs of RCS. :)

Figured I would start with the next hardest part.... I learned how to deal with animated collision meshes, as well as how to create a solar panel in Unity and configure it to a panel in-game. Finished the rear solar panel. See pic:

7VesYiY.gif

Alright, the side solar panels attach and function. The main antenna is complete and attaches and functions as well. I launched it up in a 5m non expanded fairing. It's the tightest fit ever but it works. There is still some touch up that needs done on the body however, and maybe some attachment nodes to make it easier on everyone.

This leaves the RCS thrusters. I understand to make them it's an empty transform with it's y facing the direction of thrust. Can't figure out exactly how to determine which direction is facing y within unity. Can anyone advise?

25 minutes ago, bcink said:

Alright, the side solar panels attach and function. The main antenna is complete and attaches and functions as well. I launched it up in a 5m non expanded fairing. It's the tightest fit ever but it works. There is still some touch up that needs done on the body however, and maybe some attachment nodes to make it easier on everyone.

This leaves the RCS thrusters. I understand to make them it's an empty transform with it's y facing the direction of thrust. Can't figure out exactly how to determine which direction is facing y within unity. Can anyone advise?

In the upper-left'ish of the Unity editor there are a couple buttons.  One of them will toggle between 'Global' and 'Local' transform display.  You want to view 'local'.  Then, find your transform in the model hierarchy and click on it.  The main view should now display the local rotation of the object.  The Y+ axis will be the green arrow.

5ahcEY7.png

From there you can use the rotate tool to rotate the transforms, or set their rotation numerically through the transform properties panel.

Just now, Shadowmage said:

In the upper-left'ish of the Unity editor there are a couple buttons.  One of them will toggle between 'Global' and 'Local' transform display.  You want to view 'local'.  Then, find your transform in the model hierarchy and click on it.  The main view should now display the local rotation of the object.  The Y+ axis will be the green arrow.

5ahcEY7.png

From there you can use the rotate tool to rotate the transforms, or set their rotation numerically through the transform properties panel.

Beautiful, that's perfect. Thanks a lot. That knowledge would have saved me a bunch of time on the solar panels, LoL

@Shadowmage  Is there something different that needs to be done for rotating the entire object's orientation inside Kerbal?

1 hour ago, bcink said:

Is there something different that needs to be done for rotating the entire object's orientation inside Kerbal?

I'm not understanding.... are you meaning rotating it in the editor, or in the part-config file?

The former has some rotation widgets;  the latter uses the rotation = syntax within the MODEL node.

35 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

I'm not understanding.... are you meaning rotating it in the editor, or in the part-config file?

The former has some rotation widgets;  the latter uses the rotation = syntax within the MODEL node.

Ah sorry, referring to inside the editor.  I tried merely rotating the object in unity but it didn't affect the object in kerbal editor. 

12 minutes ago, bcink said:

Ah sorry, referring to inside the editor.  I tried merely rotating the object in unity but it didn't affect the object in kerbal editor. 

If you are using standard setup, you should have a root-object that has PartTools attached to it; this is the exported models orientation (it doesn't matter if you rotate the root transform; z+ is always z+).  It should have a child-transform that is the actual model.  Rotate the child.  And then re-export through PartTools.  Now the child's z+ could be different than the root transforms z+; it is this difference that will make it appear to rotate when loaded in KSP.

21 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

If you are using standard setup, you should have a root-object that has PartTools attached to it; this is the exported models orientation (it doesn't matter if you rotate the root transform; z+ is always z+).  It should have a child-transform that is the actual model.  Rotate the child.  And then re-export through PartTools.  Now the child's z+ could be different than the root transforms z+; it is this difference that will make it appear to rotate when loaded in KSP.

Ah bingo, that explains it, I was rotating the entire thing, thank you! Also I don't think Ive used part tools for any of these parts. Just the asset compiler and loading them that way with your plugin lol. Should I limit its use to only the base structure with the shape keys? I didn't see any issues in-game using that method fwiw.

55 minutes ago, bcink said:

Should I limit its use to only the base structure with the shape keys? I didn't see any issues in-game using that method fwiw.

The asset-bundle-based models don't need to be limited to the shape-keyed meshes -- you can certainly use them for standard models as well. 

The same points regarding rotation apply to those models as well;  export the root transform, but rotate the children to change in-game orientation.

Squirt squirts are working!! (See pic below) I have only the simplest part left to configure (side antenna). I fixed a texturing issue on the base structure. Fixed some rotational issues in the editor with the side flaps. I also need to finish setting up some nodes all around the base structure and same with side flaps, main antenna, side antenna and probably the RCS thrusters as well for easy assembly. Then the final part is some finishing touches on the config file for the base structure including possible Cacteye integration on initial release. I'm pretty sure I need to spend a few minutes with @CobaltWolf and square away some shininess settings on the parts as well. Then I package and release to the world!

Prepare your launch facilities. Plan on launching sometime this weekend.

GVcIclg.gif

11 hours ago, bcink said:

Squirt squirts are working!! (See pic below) I have only the simplest part left to configure (side antenna). I fixed a texturing issue on the base structure. Fixed some rotational issues in the editor with the side flaps. I also need to finish setting up some nodes all around the base structure and same with side flaps, main antenna, side antenna and probably the RCS thrusters as well for easy assembly. Then the final part is some finishing touches on the config file for the base structure including possible Cacteye integration on initial release. I'm pretty sure I need to spend a few minutes with @CobaltWolf and square away some shininess settings on the parts as well. Then I package and release to the world!

Prepare your launch facilities. Plan on launching sometime this weekend.

Please speak with me before packing things up for release;  there are some plugin-related details that will need to be sorted out (I'm fine with you using the SSTU plugin, but it'll need to be packed in such a way as to not cause incompatibilities for regular SSTU installs); really very trivial stuff and it is likely already done, but I still need to check.  If you don't mind waiting until Sunday (or at least late Saturday?), I might be able to have the stand-alone shader and model loading plugin/mod available by then.

Glad to hear it is all progressing well for you though, and (early) congratulations on your first published mod :)

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Please speak with me before packing things up for release;  there are some plugin-related details that will need to be sorted out (I'm fine with you using the SSTU plugin, but it'll need to be packed in such a way as to not cause incompatibilities for regular SSTU installs); really very trivial stuff and it is likely already done, but I still need to check.  If you don't mind waiting until Sunday (or at least late Saturday?), I might be able to have the stand-alone shader and model loading plugin/mod available by then.

Glad to hear it is all progressing well for you though, and (early) congratulations on your first published mod :)

Absolutely, that's totally fine, and thanks!!

Added 6 nodes to the base structure and the corresponding parts. Assembly is a breeze. It all fit's together real easily and nicely. Fixed up the config files for all the parts. Successfully have the James Webb working as a Cacteye telescope with built-in Planetary 3 camera... Aaand played around with the idea of making Windowshine / texture replacer dependencies....

50SYd43.gif

8HKldlE.gif

Edited by bcink

Due to unforeseen complications with the Cacteye mod, integration will not be taking place at present time (vessel explodes at 90º from facing the sun.) @icedown has been generous enough to offer to adjust the Cacteye code so that it will accommodate the needs of the James Webb. Expect integration once this is made possible. In the mean-time, I will see what I can do about getting some types of scanning and science going for it. Shoutout to @Shadowmage for his assistance with the plugin that made it all possible and his continued assistance on helping make this happen. I think I have decided what I will do is make the Windowshine / TextureReplacer (for the super reflective JWST mirrors) as optional and bundle it with the main pack.

Anyone have any final thoughts on this before packaging? (other than @shadowmage who's plugin I am not rushing him for :) )

Here's some more hype before release:

2rLxrBR.gif

24 minutes ago, bcink said:

I think I have decided what I will do is make the Windowshine / TextureReplacer (for the super reflective JWST mirrors) as optional and bundle it with the main pack.

So... the upcoming plugin that I'll be doing for the model loading...  it will also come with full PBR shader support (for reflective surfaces), and an assortment of texture and shader utilities.  As you will already be including that plugin, you might not need the others.  Take a peek at the SSTU thread if you want to see some of what the shader/texture setup can do in regards to reflections, and feel free to pm me if you want more details or have questions.

Hoping to have the shader/model plugin ready sometime tomorrow.  Mostly just paperwork stuff; finding a good name, setting up a repo, packaging, forum post, etc.

2 hours ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

@bcink does the option exist to enable reflections on the heatshield layers?

Well, there were two things I had left to try to get the reflection working on the layers but unfortunately, neither of them did the trick. If I were to take a guess, I suspect it's due to the fact they are blendshapes and not traditional meshes (requiring the use of @Shadowmage's plugin.) Perhaps his new plugin will allow for this possibility. *crossing fingers*

5 minutes ago, bcink said:

Well, there were two things I had left to try to get the reflection working on the layers but unfortunately, neither of them did the trick. If I were to take a guess, I suspect it's due to the fact they are blendshapes and not traditional meshes (requiring the use of @Shadowmage's plugin.) Perhaps his new plugin will allow for this possibility. *crossing fingers*

Maybe TextureReplacerReplacer can do it and i'm sure there are a lot of use that will write cfg for it any way for all kinds of mods :) 

@MecrippRight on - I was trying to use texture replacer for the shielding layers and that is what's working for the mirrors themselves. Basically, in the config file all I need to do is point %meshes = xxxxxx to the name of the pieces that I want to be reflective. Worked for the central mirrors, the side, the other side, but won't work for any of the blendshapes =/

Edited by bcink

28 minutes ago, bcink said:

Even if you don't add it, I am still devouring the visuals with my eyes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.