[WIP][1.12.x] James Webb for Kerbal

bcink

2 hours ago, bcink said:

@MecrippRight on - I was trying to use texture replacer for the shielding layers and that is what's working for the mirrors themselves. Basically, in the config file all I need to do is point %meshes = xxxxxx to the name of the pieces that I want to be reflective. Worked for the central mirrors, the side, the other side, but won't work for any of the blendshapes =/

Yeah, TextureReplacer is likely operating on 'MeshRenderer' components, and skipping SkinnedMeshRenderers (used by ShapeKey/BlendShape models). (can't say for certain, but that would be a likely cause)

While you might need to adjust your textures a bit to use the PBR-based reflections (they require a diffuse/metallic/gloss/nrm maps), they are fully supported on blend-shape based models in the new plugin.  There are a few other considerations as well, but I would say it is 100% doable if you wanted to take the time to set it all up.  Feel free to send me a PM if you would like more details on how to set it all up (just don't want to clutter your thread up further with all the technical back and forth).

Speaking of which... it is now available under the TexturesUnlimited name:

It should support your existing model files; it is using the exact same plugin code from SSTU, just packaged differently.  You are free to include and distribute it with your mod as long as the directory names/plugin names are not changed.

Please let me know if you run into any problems, have any questions, or otherwise need assistance with getting it all working and setup.

James Webb For Kerbal 1.0 Initial Release is now available for download. The James Webb is now powered by Tarsier Space Technologies and has a fully functional space telescope. Added a temperature science experiment module also. Loading of the base structure with blendshape animations for the folding/expanding heat shield layers and the ability to have the super shiny reflective JWST mirrors and heat shield is made possibly by @Shadowmage's awesome plugin, and can be turned on or off at will by moving the two optional config files included in the downloads folder into or out of the GameData folder - SO PLEASE BE SURE to head over to their respective forums and download those two add-ons or Kerbin may explode.

Please enjoy the James Webb For Kerbal. Release 1.0 was 70 days in the making. The Kerbal mod dev community is amazing and without their support it simply would not have been possible.

I welcome all of your comments, feedback and suggestions on improving the James Webb For Kerbal for everyone!

Now grab your favorite 5-meter (or larger) launch vehicle and try out the James Webb!

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

ayy I'm 7 hours late! Gratz! :)

Thank you!!!

31 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Awesome work, 

if you have questions / accept help for RO related stuff, you know where you can get assistance :)

Cheers

Thanks!! You can count on some questions coming up :D

52 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Amazing release, it has been a great moment to see the dev ! :)

Thank you!!!

50 minutes ago, SamBelanger said:

GG of release! :D

Thank you!!

41 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Anyone wanting to launch this marvel using Tantares Ariane 5 (+Contares ESC upper stage):

@PART[JWST*]
{

@rescaleFactor = 0.68
    @mass *= 0.68
}

Sweeet! Can't wait to try this myself!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.