Alpha 360

Greetings Gentlekerbs, I am Mr. Kerman, the CEO of the recently created Genesis Incorporated. It is 2037, not the early 2000s, so everything we do will be over the top and crazy, if our computers can compute it. I will require the assistance of every nation and people group to help construct our future in space. But of course, we will need to explore our solar system from end to end. We will need shuttles, colonies, interplanetary ships, SSTOs and everything in-between. Luckily the predecessors of Genesis Inc. has been working on these problems. Now we need a plan of attack. We have already have been working on a shuttle program, the Marsupial Shuttle Initiative. But we are undecided on other objectives, we need to decide now. I leave this to you, leaders of the reformed nations of Kerbin. Message ended. 

Now dear reader, put yourself into the shoes of a leader of a reformed nation after the nuclear disaster of 2035. What would you prioritize? Post your answers down below and lets see where this will go!

Here are the present challenges which I have accepted

Spoiler

Micheal.don's Shuttle Challenges

BottleRocketeer500's Doing it Orion Style

Here are the mods for this sandbox play through

Spoiler

1. All Y'all

2. Kerbal Engineer

3. Stock Vision enhancements  + Scatterer

Edited by Alpha 360

I am moving posts from the Shuttle Challenge thread to here where I will continue them. This was my first post which got me the silver STS-a badge. These are the missions I have don't so far.

The Marsupial Shuttle Program 

Spoiler

Alright. Genesis Inc. has now thrown all their weight into building a fleet of SSTOs and Shuttles which will carry Kerbalkind into the Future. To those who have heard rumors that the last test of the shuttle resulted in a complete and utter failure, you have been misinformed greatly! Genesis Inc. got a shuttle into orbit, through reentry, and onto land with only the minor and forgettable loss of the main engine bell. Genesis Inc. has been working on a more cargo focused shuttle, now named the Opossum.

gyP0wbY.png

The crew are Stelford, the pilot, Dudfurt the chief engineer, Kagard, the secondary engineer, and Gwenbo, the payload operator.

Vm5OKvf.png

Launch was nominal in the sense that nothing went wrong.

CXvgaZY.png

Insertion burn also went nominally. Unlike the Insurmountable, the Opossum has two belly ports where two communications satellites are held to be tested for the geostationary relay contract coming soon. 

8voFjfx.png

A beautiful view of the atmosphere, Scatterer and EVE, I love you. 

4pd3qtV.png

Decoupling boosters. These will be dragged down into the atmosphere by orbital decay in several months, coming down in the Keltanic ocean. 

Q3XiIBm.png

There you are. There are two communication sats in the cargo bay which We deploy here.

uwOfxms.png

We preformed a deorbit burn a short while later and started to descend into the atmosphere. 

FOgm9Z2.png

Starting reentry. Isn't that beautiful!

7mBtIMO.png

Stock KSP lacks significantly in eye candy, demonstrated here. Whenever I play "stock" again, I will include visual mods, definitely.

v7G2jcO.png

Coming down over the city lights. They must be pretty bright the illuminate the bottom of my shuttle. 

1OmCiAy.png

Genesis Inc. checked the spacecraft heavily after the landing, but nothing was found wrong except the destruction of the two bottom tail fins.

And this is the second mission which hasn't been graded yet. 

Spoiler

Genesis Inc. has accepted a contract to put three satellites in Geostationary orbit. We have adapted the Opossum model with several extra Mk2 cargo bays. 

Here is the Koala Bear sitting on the launch pad. 

0i4fNUt.png

Nnbu7SU.png

The launch profile consisted of a high-speed suborbital trajectory that drained the outer tanks which were detached, then enter orbit at 1,000 kilometers above Kerbin. 

tNlXctn.png

Then after releasing a test satellite and another satellite accidentally, the Koala Bear used the Rhino main engine to raise the orbit to roughly 2,800 kilometers. I then released another satellite in that orbit and time-warped to the highest point of the orbit. I circularized the orbit and released another satellite. 

HUfJhb3.png

I repeated the process and ended up with three satellites in Geostationary orbit, two in circular orbit at 1,000 kilometers, and one in elliptical orbit.

2bVmIiC.png

I de-orbited later and landed without anything exploding except only one tail fin. 

OGmLubJ.png

SaZwzmE.png

Edited by Alpha 360

EFT-1

This is the Doing It Orion Style challenge part 1

Spoiler

Genesis Corp has decided that in order to colonize space, they need a multi-purpose capsule for Mun and Minmus landings which would be difficult to say the least in a shuttle. 

Mr. Kerman has given the Artemis Program his approval and the engineers got to work.  

2cZmmjX.png

The Artemis Block-1 is launching from the KSC, and hour before sunrise. The JS-2s are propelling this spacecraft up to great speeds. 

A0No2VB.png

The spacecraft is unmanned, because the engineers have deemed this spacecraft a test, also because the new heat shield is being tested. 

5X9vOmI.png

The gravity turn was too shallow and I was forced to use the last stage to propel us into orbit. 

Cy210wL.png

Here are the solar panels deployed. The engineers have said this solar panels aren't efficient enough, but it looks cool. We are propelling the spacecraft up to high orbit, 5,800,032 meters to be exact. 

285SifU.png

At 5,8,000,000 meters roughly, deorbiting the Artemis, which has preformed excellently. Next time though we can't wait to test out the Hera 1b, the mother of all boosters. 

qI74a4H.png

Descending down to the planet. Beautiful view. 

dGiIqUt.png

Heat shield holding up just fine. That means the next flight will be manned, sorry, kerballed. 

Sc2jRgV.png

Still burning up. My trajectory was quite shallow so my ablator is burning fast. 

9Z2CvHL.png

Coming down with the parachutes deployed. Apparently the modded heat-shield doesn't have a jettison button so it's stuck on there. 

vy3JXxf.png

Moments from splash down on the other-side of the globe. I WAS aiming at the KSC, but I failed horribly.

rQftlUI.png

The EFT-1 was a success with plenty of bonuses, including the increased funding of the Artemis program. Exploration Mission 1 will be launched soon!

Edited by Alpha 360

STS-3a

Aiming for gold stars

Spoiler

A group of scientists have prompted us to launch a telescope into high orbit to observe the other planets of the solar system, and to look at the stars  and the galaxies and everything else out there. The scientist said this better than me, if a little more long-winded. 

Several government officials have doubts on the new open "cargo bay" design but Mr. Kerman assured them that the body of the shuttle was already so un-aerodynamic, the addition of the telescope wouldn't do much in the way of extra drag. In other news, there was a fire which destroyed the blueprint warehouse and another fire which destroyed the computer room. While both buildings were rebuilt bigger and better than before, we have lost contact with the geostationary network and now we have to re-deisgn the Marsupial. Brilliant work whoever started those fires.........

So Genesis Inc has been delayed by several weeks, but that does not deter them!

404WYZx.png

Genesis Inc. decided to launch the Marsupial Mk3 to replace their Geostationary Satellites. Now we have two sats in perfect geostationary orbit thanks to some good math and patience. 

aYYTxgI.png

NnoEiwJ.png

This mission was a success, but the shuttle proved to be aerodynamically unstable and so after multiple modifications, we launched STS-3 with a space telescope to study the stars, and to look for habitable planets around said stars. Introducing the Kubble Space Telescope!

Yes, the Marsupial series has been changed significantly in the Mk5 version. You wonder why we skipped the Mk4 version, welllll, we don't want to talk about it, more cute cat videos? Notice the less efficient vectors but more powerful and the larger body of the shuttle with vastly more fuel. 

Y9sNGtw.png

Yes, this shuttle has 2,600 m/s delta-v in orbit and can carry twin or double payloads. In this mission, it is carrying a new comms satellite as well as the Kubble Space Telescope. 

QdAheax.png

3uvg6bO.png

The main fuel tank detaching in the early atmosphere. We push off into orbit using the two "Odin"s and the three vectors. If this shuttle has a problem, it lacks adequate roll control. I boost my orbit up to 350 kilometers then detach my comms sat. 

Nn28zGI.png

We reach high orbit then make it circular. Luckily I launched with a high inclination so we had only a small burn to make my inclination 25 degrees. 

tiNKPv5.png

We then detached the Kubble Space Telescope. Our engineer, Bill Kerman, is jet-packing over to the hanger to pick up the EVA chair. Sadly, the photographer was too busily trying to fly around to take photos of the engineer, our apologies. 

70CHTRc.png

After orbital nonsense and several days, the Marsupial Mk5 is on direct course for the Kerbal Space Center! Those Vernor thrusters really came in handy in reentry. 

2MRdSeX.png

1up46z4.png

Luckily we had installed four Panther turbo-jet engines to propel the shuttle when too far away from the runway. 

8rPpqeH.png

After a tedious flight, I landed on the grass near the runway and then drove up onto the runway. Nothing broke and I asume we will reward the pilots with gold stars! Pretty Please? 

Edited by Alpha 360

• 1 month later...

STS-3b

Returned to KSP

Sorry for the ages long delay. Computer was dying on me, so I had to let it rest. Now ready to return to work. 

(By the way, will submit for third mission silver stars. The Extravehicular Mobility suit was just too hard to make. WAY too hard.)

Spoiler

Finally, after all the burnt down information store-houses, we finally are going to keep this up. The computer building WILL NOT burn on us again, I sincerely hope. Now, the Marsupial Mk4 is going to launch out into Infinity and Beyond. Well, hopefully not explosively. I noticed that the recent designed need alot of hope to get them working. Also lets not assume that hope is the same as faith, because if we actually had FAITH in these rockets, we would be plunged into depression. Forever. 

On to less depressing matters. Here is the shuttle on the launch pad. 

Kz6cMCQ.png

It only took four designs and thousands of kerbal engineers months to finally reach this design. Isn't it a beauty. The Mun in a very scenic position, one would think that such a picture could be photo shopped. But nooo, we totally waited until the correct moment to launch in order to capture these shots. 

Yh668Of.png

Oh, everybody, don't notice that the tails are on backwards. That is a visual bug, it will be fixed in the next few minutes. Nothing to be alarmed about.....

mvh8AJC.png

36IK5og.png

The tank decoupling nicely.

(deleted picture)

The NewStart will NOT be damaged when the booster collides with it. The picture above might contain numerous explosions but NOTHING is NOT going to plan. Oh, wait, we have deleted that picture already. Shoot.

Anyway, here is the NewStart looking beautiful against the islands off the coast of KSC

B0YezTi.png

Now we are in orbit. We skipped ahead because SOME people forgot to take photos, so we'll say that we wouldn't want to bore the people watching this to death going into orbit again and again. Wait, did I make references to many failed attempts? No, there were no failed attempts(that will be publicized, because what doesn't happen on the news never happens at all).

cfAru2s.png

After an insertion burn, this is our orbit.

hYJStBi.png

We wanted a full view of the sky, so we put it into this insanely inclined orbit. We also wanted to prove that we had fuel to spare.

T0aiC2V.png

Here is a EM suit, or platform. As you see, we need some more work for EM suits. 

24BxrgR.png

Now, Bill has left the platform. Look at that beautiful sunrise. Also, Valentina left the platform and returned to the ship, leaving the platform drifting into darkness. Yes, it was that unwieldy. 

Here was some of the assembly of the satellite. 

CntW1Cj.png

YRiZKyN.png

Bill returns to the shuttle, having completed his duty.

kN13yiC.png

M6bEOKx.png

Now with the solar panels extended, its time to leave!

X5ftCMK.png

Here we are changing the inclination of the shuttle. 

Skip forward a few minutes and we are in a 6 degree orbit. Why six degree? Wellll, I hadn't done the best job with the maneuver node placement.

q6EtfiB.png

wpOpBJc.png

This is the reentry burn. Bill and Valentina are ready and waiting. 

d9hJlj6.png

Burning through the atmosphere. Since we are on the wrong inclination, we will not be landing at the KSC. (I'm a little out of practice)

GhYjcp8.jpg

After touching down on the water, We timewarped waited until daytime to catch this spectacular pic. Will this classify for a 3 silver star?

Edited by Alpha 360

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.