A few cents to contribute to our knowledge of Kerbin's water.

Ethen Sun

On 9/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi regarding depth,  deepest spot I've found so far is just below one of my water launch points on Laythe at 2273mtrs

Laythe's ocean reaches about 2740 meters deep, and likely deeper. Source: have reached a depth of 2739 m on Laythe

I recommend using ore tanks balanced to around neutral buoyancy for submarines, as they very much help in maintaining depth,  useful for when travelling a distance near the surface or seafloor.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, NSEP said:

The deepest point on Eve is 5.6km deep. You are more than right.

Eve_map_800.gif

Ok, thanks Now I know were I need to go with my next SubEVE.

In my previous exploration only reach -1176m

Spoiler

XtnPhkX.png

Oh, I know the game takes the liquid as Newtonian fluid at incompressible case. With the conditions on the surface as whole. 

Is a good approximation if you don't have submarines. 

Edited by obi_juan
Hydrodynamics...

If you have KIS installed, kerbals with heavy stuff in their inventory sink. This is not fun if you fall in water while doing changes to your craft but is nice for diving. 
Have an kerbal dive to the bottom then drop the ballast to get up or have an kerbal do eva on the bottom. As an fallback you can drop ballast to get up to surface. 

On 9/4/2017 at 6:59 AM, magnemoe said:

Yes, I guess its treated as internal volume and protected while closed. has to test if this works for cargo bays too? 

I tried it with an Mk3 cargo bayonmTL2Z.png:

Even closed, it sits very high in the water. Opening it just makes it do this, since it maintains the same crash box.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.