Forum Colour Schemes ?

YNM

What colour scheme do you prefer ?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If it's possible, what colour scheme do you prefer ?

• More Blue (ie. Old)
    • More white (ie. Current default or even more white)
    • More green (greens based off green signs used in the default forum)
    • More red/maroon (reds based off old red signs used in previous scheme)
    • Other (please comment)

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

@Stone Blue It's a bit too dark for my liking those. Something light grey-ish or less white would be nice. Also, do they work on mobile ?

First, sorry, I dont have a mobile phone, so i have no idea :P

Second, I came up with the black theme, from trial & error swapping values in n.b.z.'s Dark Blue theme... Maybe give that a try, trying for a "grey" theme?... Or maybe someone else will build off either mine or n.b.z.'s themes for even more choices...???... Anyone?...Anyone??...Beuler???... vOv

On mine, i know I eliminated that awful floating, white toolbar-thingy at the top of the page, as well as the clutter of those "tags" on the thread list, as well as a few other little tweaks I forget... I dont think n.b.z did that with his...I think he just did colors? (paging @n.b.z.)

Edited by Stone Blue

Why? Why cant we just have options? I liked the old color scheme. When I first saw this new look, I seriously thought my phone had broken or I had a bad connection to the forum. I reloaded the page 10-20 times, restarted it a few times. This new look as I have said before is just too sterile, its like being in a laboratory or something... I just know its killing my eyes :( 

op 23:47:30

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I prefer DARK, gray or black themes for everything... Most of the sites I frequently visit, i got dark themes from userstyles.org.

Luckily, and as a temporary solution if there's new themes coming with future upgrades, there's my dark black theme, which still seems to pretty much work... And if mine works, then @n.b.z.'s dark blue theme probably still mostly works, since mine is based off his...

You can use the Stylish addon, or (at least for Firefox), Custom Style Script

Mine: https://userstyles.org/styles/128030/darkblack-kerbal-space-program-ksp-forum

n.b.z.'s Dark Blue: https://userstyles.org/styles/121820/darkblue-ksp-forum

Well, I don't particularly like the style, but I can at least read the forums using that theme without wearing sunglasses so I thank you!

Oddly the version of the forum I get served up on android FF is rather darker than the desktop one... but my android FF reports itself as a desktop version ( to fool YT mostly ), so something is well wonky with the theme css somewhere. The verson I get on windows FF is honestly unusable. The android one is not terribly usable either thanks to 1/4 of the screen being devoted to usernames and the fonts all blending in, but it's not trying to kill my eyesight ( just writing this post has caused noticeable eye pain ).

Edited by Van Disaster

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Luckily, and as a temporary solution if there's new themes coming with future upgrades, there's my dark black theme, which still seems to pretty much work... And if mine works, then @n.b.z.'s dark blue theme probably still mostly works, since mine is based off his...

Well either one of those is a whole lot better than the whitewash and will at least save me the -literal- headaches. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

I see tweaking continues. Things are looking better each time I return. Maybe we complain too soon?

It is getting better, it's no longer searing my eyes. I'd still love to have custom schemes and such though.

14 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Oddly the version of the forum I get served up on android FF is rather darker than the desktop one...

Colour palette are a PITA indeed.

Edited by YNM

16 hours ago, YNM said:

It is getting better, it's no longer searing my eyes. I'd still love to have custom schemes and such though.

Colour palette are a PITA indeed.

Indeed. However the grey is very grey on android ( despite sending a windows useragent ) but only a little grey on a desktop, but the white areas ( very light grey now I guess ) are about the same.

This is what I have... I'm not sure it's actually meant to look like this. Loading it in IE gives gigantic text ( if I tell FF to zoom the font is actually harder to read ), but the colour ( or lack of it ) is the same.

Back to figuring out how to squash the user info into something less wasteful, & then get rid of the outer borders...

Spoiler

5Fxe5Ci.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

I was just having a go at making a custom stylesheet to adjust some things and the first thing I did was to change the background of posts from pure white to a slightly off-white and that seemed quite nice.  But then I realised that images with a white background really stood out against the off-white background. So I looked back at some pages I'd not reloaded since the forum update and realised that the actual post sections were always pure white. 

Anyway this is what my style looks like so far.

Spoiler

bjg5sod.png

clip from this thread with my style applied (sorry @HebaruSan & @swjr-swis for using you as examples!). main content background is off-white (#e8e8e8), quotes are lighter but still slightly off-white, spoiler header is darker with the same content background as the quotes, removed one of the horizontal lines in the footer of each post....oh and killed the new like thumbs-up thing, it just says like/unlike now (although I can't figure out how to remove the bubble hover effect yet).

xWiqVUZ.png

Added a tiny bit of padding to the top of the page (red arrow) as the first bit seems kinda crushed up at the top, added some shade to the non-primary buttons and also to the pagination buttons on threads (not yet altered the pagination buttons on list pages).

5rbSVRQ.png?2

but perhaps it would be better to keep the content of posts as pure white and just make the surroundings darker? I think the off-white looks nice for next and most images, but looks a bit wrong with images which have something like an icon against a white background (although if they were pngs with transparent backgrounds they'd look fine).  What do you think?

If I have the choice I set text area backgrounds to a very pale cream, something like slightly old paper - warm ( yellows are higher colour temperature ) light colours are easy on the eyes & it's still good contrast if the text is dark. Image issues are solved by a very small border ( preferably one without a sharp outer edge, then it doesn't shout "BORDER" ).

I've come directly from android to Windows again & the default is actually kinda usable on my tablet, excess wasted space notwithstanding - under windows on this calibrated monitor is still a blinding lack of contrast & rapidly deteriorates into a morass of swimming dots. Keep going, something is getting there slowly!

11 hours ago, katateochi said:

What do you think?

My main need for a new stylesheet would be 'not eye-searingly bright please'', which your example seems to achieve. StoneBlue's is useful for when my whole screens are lights out, but for general use something a tad less dark would be good.

The images: there's no good way to cater for all possibilities, other than the already offered suggestion of a subtle border. And anything that makes that like button much less prominent is good too. Watching your version with interest.

Am I alone btw in preferring a slight bit more contrast between elements? Eg. the box containing the actual post content, either slightly darker or lighter than the poster name/icon and the top/bottom bars, instead of just seeming one big space with stuff floating in it. I can deal with CSS enough to make that tiny change for myself though.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

StoneBlue's is useful for when my whole screens are lights out, but for general use something a tad less dark would be good.

Did you take a look at n.b.z.'s other two themes?... I based mine off his Dark Blue, and changing colors is not too hard...He also has a "Kontrast" one, with mostly white space w/blue, tho I dont know if it fully worx with the new forum update... vOv

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=kerbal

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Am I alone btw in preferring a slight bit more contrast between elements?

Nope... I would also like that

37 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Honestly I think this new scheme is horrible

Ok... constructive details would be nice... :)
Be aware Squad IS slowly tweaking it to improove it

I've put my current style up on userstyles https://userstyles.org/styles/147582/kat-s-kerbal-space-program-ksp-forum-tweak
It's still WIP so somethings will change. Still not totally happy with the like/unlike button.  main post content is off-white but not as dark as I had it before, added contrast between content and user section of post, removed border and shadow effects from posts, removed blue from toolbar at the top of list pages....and a few other tweaks. here's some pics;

Spoiler

His6jath.png

QViCo0Hh.png

If you have any suggested changes, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by katateochi
updated theme name, new link

16 minutes ago, katateochi said:

If you have any suggested changes, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Nice to see more choices available... :thumbs_up:

May I suggest adding the word "kerbal" to your title?... A "kerbal" search on userstyles shows all but yours... and a "KSP" search shows like 3 pages of other junk... :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.