The glaring issue nobody is talking about regarding the new forums...

CobaltWolf

The futue of the KSP forums  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have an angery react?

• Yes
    • No (Yes)

It's easy, really. If someone writes something you don't like, then don't worry about it. If you like what they post, then give them the "thumbs up" or like, or whatever the forum is set to give. I like this platform the way it is... without the dislike or angry function. It keeps the forum mostly positive.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

It's easy, really. If someone writes something you don't like, then don't worry about it. If you like what they post, then give them the "thumbs up" or like, or whatever the forum is set to give. I like this platform the way it is... without the dislike or angry function. It keeps the forum mostly positive.

Sometimes people could be derailing a thread, harassing someone, etc, and I think there should be a way to express that, without further derailing a thread by starting an argument with a reply.

I don't want more negativity in the forums, a dislike kind of button adds more sadness. And an ANGERY emote is like a household weapon, or a launch escape system, a waste of time, money or energy of something that you would never want use, ever, but would come in really handy when something really bad happens. Adding in a new emote is less energy consuming than buying and training with a gun or testing and designing a launch escape system so i do kind of support it.

23 minutes ago, minepagan said:

Sometimes people could be derailing a thread, harassing someone, etc, and I think there should be a way to express that, without further derailing a thread by starting an argument with a reply.

Its called "report this post" and it works!

27 minutes ago, minepagan said:

In addition to what @adsii1970 said, know that calling someone on their behaviour, effectively derailing the discussion even further, is what's called "backseat moderating" and is frowned upon as well.

@minepagan:

If you read the forum rules, it is what the forum owners have asked us to do. We are not to backseat moderate (or publicly shame or otherwise humiliate) forum members we disagree with. It is one of the reasons they have made it so easy to report posts. It took me several 2.2 violations (looks over at @Vanamonde and @Red Iron Crown) to get the hang of it. And in their defense and praise, it is always better to let a moderator handle those kinds of issues.

No personal attacks, so to say something like, hey, @adsii1970, you've derailed this thread long enough with your mindless babble" would be a violation of those rules. And the only correct response is getting a moderator involved with it. Let them make the call if the post really derails the thread or is clearly a rule violation. There's no shame in reporting it rather than responding back.

It's not overkill. We have a range of ages, I think the youngest I've seen has been 12 or 13 years old, and the oldest, well, are older than me and I'm 47! It just makes it more enjoyable when the atmosphere is positive.

52 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I vote we have a forum software that isn't trying desperately to be Facebook.

I agree totally - and he's one of those "old timers", too. I hope this forum stays with this kind of form it has now, withuot the whole angry emoji. There have been too many times I have seen people really pile on a Facebook user who has made some off-hand or ill-stated remark. It can be intimidating for new or younger users of the social media platform. If I wanted a more "hostile" forum, I'd be more active on FaceBook...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.