The glaring issue nobody is talking about regarding the new forums...

CobaltWolf

The futue of the KSP forums  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have an angery react?

• Yes
    • No (Yes)

17 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I agree totally - and he's one of those "old timers", too. I hope this forum stays with this kind of form it has now, withuot the whole angry emoji. There have been too many times I have seen people really pile on a Facebook user who has made some off-hand or ill-stated remark. It can be intimidating for new or younger users of the social media platform. If I wanted a more "hostile" forum, I'd be more active on FaceBook...

I wasn't just talking about the emoji.  Go open Facebook and this forum and put them side by side.  The way it is now, it's Facebook.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I wasn't just talking about the emoji.  Go open Facebook and this forum and put them side by side.  The way it is now, it's Facebook.

Yeah, you're right about that. I just did it. It seems that FaceBook has set the standard and everyone simply follows the same thing, like lemmings. What would be nice is something other than the blue-white-grey scheme and clunky Facebook appearance and layout. I guess I can dream, right?

2 hours ago, minepagan said:

Sometimes people could be derailing a thread, harassing someone, etc, and I think there should be a way to express that, without further derailing a thread by starting an argument with a reply.

The way to respond to that without derailing the thread further is to hit the report button. 

Oh, I got ninjaed a couple times on that one. 

Edited by Vanamonde

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yeah, you're right about that. I just did it. It seems that FaceBook has set the standard and everyone simply follows the same thing, like lemmings. What would be nice is something other than the blue-white-grey scheme and clunky Facebook appearance and layout. I guess I can dream, right?

Nah, it's just IPS.  vBulletin doesn't look anything like Facebook.  Neither does phpBB or Discourse or really any other.  Squad just decided to pick the worst one out there.

9 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The way to respond to that without derailing the thread further is to hit the report button. 

Ok, as long as you guys are ok with it....I always feel bad reporting posts for minor stuff like that, because I've always felt that reporting was for personal attacks, insults, etc. but if it is what we're supposed to do then I'll do it.

TIL.

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

In honor of that great moderator, @Vanamonde - it's not a ninja but it's kung fu fighting!

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Nah, it's just IPS.  vBulletin doesn't look anything like Facebook.  Neither does phpBB or Discourse or really any other.  Squad just decided to pick the worst one out there.

But vBulletin does have some security flaws. I was on another forum and actually left it because it seemed it was constantly being hacked. Probably was just the forum management that didn't know what they were doing. Anyhow, phpBB can be a little pricey and let's face it, Squad (no offense to members of @SQUAD), is a small company that is trying to get the most bang out of their buck. Remember, this is a free forum and there really is no value or gain by Squad for offering this forum. If it were completely a "subscribe to" or to access/activate certain features with a "subscription", then it would make sense for Squad to offer this forum on a different platform. 

Please remember, I do not work for Squad...

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

But vBulletin does have some security flaws. I was on another forum and actually left it because it seemed it was constantly being hacked. Probably was just the forum management that didn't know what they were doing. Anyhow, phpBB can be a little pricey and let's face it, Squad (no offense to members of @SQUAD), is a small company that is trying to get the most bang out of their buck. Remember, this is a free forum and there really is no value or gain by Squad for offering this forum. If it were completely a "subscribe to" or to access/activate certain features with a "subscription", then it would make sense for Squad to offer this forum on a different platform. 

Please remember, I do not work for Squad...

Anything can have security flaws but vBulletin is quite secure.  On the other hand, it's a bit like comparing Windows to macOS/OSX.  Mac isn't more secure because they get hacked less, hackers just aren't interested in such an incredibly small percentage of the computer population.  The inverse can be said for Windows Phone vs iOS too.   vBulletin is the most popular forum software out there by an impressively massive margin, so it's more likely to be targeted, it's the price of success.

phpBB is a free open source project by the way, and IPS is not.  I just mentioned phpBB for it's style though, I wasn't suggesting Squad switch to it... and I never thought you worked for Squad :wink:

Edited by Alshain

12 hours ago, Alshain said:

and I never thought you worked for Squad :wink:

Oh, I know you don't, but some of our younger forum users might get that idea... Just sayin' for the sake of full disclosure. In fact not only do I not work for Squad, but I'm not a moderator either... I think Mercury would have to develop snow on its polar regions before I'd be asked to be a moderator. And that's ok... :rolleyes:  :D

Edited by adsii1970

MFW no angery react

UTNhvxF.jpg

(Since I think some people don't get it, FB's angery ((yes, misspelled)) react, and using it for everything including things you like, was a minor meme for a while when they first added them. Wasn't trying to add negativity to the forums)

also, first

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

(Since I think some people don't get it, FB's angery ((yes, misspelled)) react, and using it for everything including things you like, was a minor meme for a while when they first added them. Wasn't trying to add negativity to the forums)

Ah, alright...

I'm not an avid FB user, but seeing where FB has gone, I'd rather ensure everyone else stay clean off it. They might not be the worst but, as it says, "we were the first, and now we're the worst".

Edited by YNM

2 minutes ago, YNM said:

Ah, alright...

I'm not an avid FB user, but seeing where FB has gone, I'd rather ensure everyone else stay clean off it.

Eh, it's like Reddit or anywhere else on the internet. There are good communities and bad ones. I'm mostly on it for some of the really great space related groups, along with the memes and doggo pics.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Eh, it's like Reddit or anywhere else on the internet. There are good communities and bad ones. I'm mostly on it for some of the really great space related groups, along with the memes and doggo pics.

Yup. Although, as it had been said, "we were the first, and now we're the worst".

Not always the case, but quite applicable nonetheless.

Ultra-government unfortunately won't let Reddit pass off cleanly. So other than I never heard it before I'm already an established member of one online forum, now that I'm curios more often I can't get them. (VPN ? Well, I got lost in it mate.)

Edited by YNM

33 minutes ago, YNM said:

Ultra-government unfortunately won't let Reddit pass off cleanly. So other than I never heard it before I'm already an established member of one online forum, now that I'm curios more often I can't get them. (VPN ? Well, I got lost in it mate.)

Have tried the TOR browser get to try to get to Reddit? 

Just want to throw my comments into this-

I say there should be an angry emoticon as it's just another expression (although >:mad:< isn't too bad and fits the bill in my book, but this thread isn't about my opinion). Removing it doesn't stop the users from being angry and it itself isn't a weapon. Bigger problem is the users who try to use forum features to demean someone else and frankly anyone can do that with any of the emoticons now. Not including it doesn't stop the issue which led to it being used. It's up to each user to act maturely enough with emoticons and the forum features to not let it escalate to a point where people get upset or insulted and, on the chance it does escalate, that the situation is passed onto moderators who can handle the problem. An angry emoticon has equally as much a right to exist as happy, sad, confused, bemused, tired, disgusted, and the plethora of other human emotions.

As to topic B (forum appearing and slowly becoming FaceBook), I agree that it is slowly turning that way and frankly I wasn't ever a big fan of FaceBook. I understand the forum software itself may be progressing that way but the forum moderators for this Kerbal Space Program forum should try to use the available tools to make it as unique as possible. KSP is very unique despite many reused troupes and frankly Squad/Mod team should take advantage of this and make the forum more visually similar to KSP rather than an online social website. Whether they just change the colors or change the "like notification" animation to something more apt to KSP (maybe a fancy rocket launching arrow?).

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

Have tried the TOR browser get to try to get to Reddit? 

I know Tor but it's far slower and more bandwith / quota hungry compared to normal. Also, many Tor outlets are earmarked already such that it might impede the access. I guess I can just stay out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.