What do you miss about the old forum?

Chel

- More blue

- Less boundary boxes

- Simpler likes (also true with Facebook)

Probably I'd get over the boundary after a while, and the likes thing isn't hard to refine further, but I really like the old bluish theme. I get it though that some people do like using white themes, so I propose adding a colour theme changer.

Edited by YNM

I don't miss a thing about the forum prior to this one. It was a pug ugly mashup of glaringly obnoxious whitespace and poor layout that also managed to mangle a significant number of my posts by a) splurging control characters all over them and b) breaking internal links. For a forum ostensibly aimed at mobile users it offered a distinctly sub-standard mobile experience and I personally found it lacking in many ways compared to the previous forum.

Happily the latest update is a just a re-skin (so far as I know) and hasn't re-mangled my posts. Quite how it's contrived to be even uglier than the last one boggles my mind however. Did someone fire a bunch of paint-soaked Nerf darts at a screen and plonk down a UI element over each mark or something?

15 minutes ago, KSK said:

Happily the latest update is a just a re-skin 

I dunno, the coloured squares with letters in that replaces the silhouette that people get if they dont have an avatar looks suspiciously Microsofty.

I wonder if the acquisition by TakeTwo has forced a move to their corporate software environment?

A similar thing is happening in my company (and it is screwing everything up.)

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I wonder if the acquisition by TakeTwo has forced a move to their corporate software environment?

I doubt it. If I had to guess, it's because the Kerbal silhouette is a custom avatar for this forum, while the letters are the default for all IPS forums.

Also, I've moved this to Kerbal Network, as it's about this forum.

I miss basic HTML support...

IPS (the current forum software) is highly customizable as far as themes... Heck, theres even many "ready-made" themes that are much better than the blaring white default theme, that are cheap...like $20-$30...

But for whatever reason, Squad obviously doesnt want to spend the man-hours to have someone in-house make a custom theme, or to "buy" a ready-made theme.

As to functionality, there is some customization/settings that can be tweaked by Squad, but much of what we are seeing is just default IPS settings themes... So not much use in getting really heated and repetitively complaining about things...

All that can really be done is to try to convince Squad to put in the $$ for customization...If they wont, they wont... And they have had IPS for a couple years now, so if they havent yet, its not likely things will change. Especially with everyone rehashing, complaining and picking everything apart...

I do almost all my forum reading on my laptop. Some on my desktop. None on mobile. I'm probably in the minority. I'm also older (61). The new update still seems to be getting tweaked but it is very bright and the fonts seem to be different or smaller. It is pretty hard for me to read. What I just did was boost the zoom from 100% to 125%. This is a major improvement in increasing readability while decreasing the massive white space. Unless the background gets changed, viewing most pics will still require going to the imgur album. The white background is blinding against the black of space. I guess that is no different than before. I'll adjust but with a few simple tweaks on Squads end things could be a lot easier. 

6 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

What I just did was boost the zoom from 100% to 125%.

Yip... Since the forum switch to IPS, I've had my Firefox zoom level set (just for THIS forum), at 120%... This is on my 17.3" laptop... But then I guess I'm old, too (50)...

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Yip... Since the forum switch to IPS, I've had my Firefox zoom level set (just for THIS forum), at 120%... This is on my 17.3" laptop... But then I guess I'm old, too (50)...

I've done the same on Facebook, just because I can. My laptop is also 17". At 120% it is much better, however I think it looks flat - especially the headers. A little shadow effect or something would help a lot.

On a 27" screen with young eyes (<18) , it looks ok. But everything is still way too bright. And some of the text, like member titles, is still very small.

Edited by qzgy

Looks like some changes, and more colors have been coming along steadily... Glad to see someone is working on it... Who is the poor nameless soul doing the work? They should get some Thanx and words of encouragement...(and maybe a $$ raise from Squad) :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.